Do you say Pop or Soda?

Je ne comprends pas, mais je vais jouer avec l’application de traduction.

1 Like

I heard it used in the Rive-sud area near Montreal (Châteauguay), if that makes any difference. It still also meant alcohol so I had to watch for context. Maybe it’s not a thing over by Gatineau, or not common in general but it was the most frequent term I heard used in my area.

1 Like

Sorry. In Quebec I’ve seen/heard boisson gazeuse, breuvage, and liqueur used to refer to soft drinks. Liqueur also commonly or exclusively refers to alcohol depending on the area, so hearing kids ask for it is amusing until you get used to it.

1 Like

“La Croix.”

4 Likes

I’m so southern it’s “co-cola.”

6 Likes

If I’m going to say pop or soda, I’d choose soda.

Down South, saying coke is just code for saying soda or pop really. If I say, “hey do you want a coke or something” and the person says yes, then I go into “well I’ve got dt. Mtn dew and blah, blah, blah” and they choose what kind of coke they want ha… I’d reference coke without even having actual coke to offer. Hard to explain.

Tangent- @MoCatt have we ever talked about sweet or unsweet tea? Tru story…I was never asked or felt like I had to clarify which tea I wanted until I moved to AL.

Texas, AR, TN… not an issue at restaurants. Moved to Tuscaloosa…boom. Had to specify which type when ordering and still do most places in AL. Never was an option to order sweet tea outside of AL. Just used sweet n low or equal at table to sweeten it. Never made sweet tea until living in AL. Shock n awe!

I have never used the word soda in my life, UNLESS, referring to Club Soda…in which I was never drinking without vodka. So therefore “soda” has no place in my life anymore lol

2 Likes

None of those: soft drinks

1 Like

I say soda pop😘

2 Likes

Me too :wink:

Originally from the UK where it would be ‘fizzy drink’, now in Western Canada where it’s usually ‘pop’

I’m in OH and pop is king here. I’m born, raised and from West Virginia and as far as my little part of it, pop was the word too. Although at restaurants, Pepsi products were usually what was offered and is what I grew up on. I hate Coke :face_vomiting:

Lived in N. California once and they said soda. When I said pop they looked at me like I was an idiot, lol.

I read somewhere the Coke thing is not “southern” but more Georgia.

1 Like

Always gotta be different :smile:

1 Like

Yes!!!

“Down South, saying coke is just code for saying soda or pop really. If I say, “hey do you want a coke or something” and the person says yes, then I go into “well I’ve got dt. Mtn dew and blah, blah, blah” and they choose what kind of coke they want ha… I’d reference coke without even having actual coke to offer. Hard to explain.”

That’s exactly how it is. I just didn’t know how to explain it to folks who don’t speak Southern.

3 Likes

Brus :blush: or coke

I’m from Quebec. Soft drink in French is also called liqueur but followed by douce.

Ended poll. It was close! I’m surprised lol.

i may be the odd man out but i say SODA, much thats all for me not COKE not POP no way no how n i come from all over TX, MO, CA, AZ

Coke!! Lol. This is such a funny topic. I’m from the South. Although I havent drank those in quite a while now. I call my sparkling waters ( that I drink all day ) sodas. But I feel like they are somehow a separate category.

Next up, the evening meal: do you say “supper”, “dinner”, or something else? :stuck_out_tongue: (I kid)