Do you talk about this?

I don’t know about minority. I don’t put myself in a category :smiley:. I just am.

When i was in therapy last summer i suddenly felt isolated. It started inside me, with my thoughts, assumptions, conclusions and subsequent actions. Leading myself to isolate more from the community.it happens here from time to time ,mostly it is inside me.

Why not try posting here?

Just hop on the check in thread, start a new topic, whatever… And open up with what you are struggling with. Everyone here gets it - that’s why we’re all here! It sounds like having someone you could be honest and open with (your therapist) has been helpful. So maybe more of that is what you need?

There are of course lots of people here who have got sober through AA, but also lots who haven’t.

@littlemisschatterbox mentioned SMART which is CBT based and sounds like a pretty practical approach. There are lots of other programmes too, see Resources for our recovery for info on these as well as other useful resources. Not everyone wants to be part of a formal recovery programme and that’s OK too!

One of the things I have found hugely helpful over the past few years is reading this forum, a lot. I have learned so much about myself by reading other people’s stories. It’s not necessarily always about sharing what’s going on with you - although I think that’s also important.

I have had 15 solid years and five more on and off ones in the program, so if I sound negative it comes from experience. The Twelve and Twelve is probably my favorite of the books, but it does not actually tell you what to do with the steps.

Honestly, you could help me if you could suggest a first step action that would not impact me financially. At my age, if I got a minimum wage job, I would probably never get anything better than that again.

I gave up on the steps because I could give up my job—nor could I come up with an alternative action that would show my sponsor that I did the first step.

The BB starts giving step actions at the first step…but where do you find them for the first three?

I do not know Back to Basics, but I know the 12 and 12 thoroughly.

Like I said before, if you read it, you will find that it does not actually suggest any step actions, or give instructions of any kind.

(But it lays out the philosophy of the program beautifully.)

But thank you. I will check out Back to Basics.