Does anybody or has anyone attended Alcoholics Anonymous

My life sucked so hard when I started going to AA! I did NOT want to be there either! I didnt want to be anywhere for that matter.

3 Likes

Sometimes AA is like the gym, you dont really want to go bc your couch is comfy, but you always feel better after you go :sunglasses: :blue_heart:

8 Likes

I attend refuge recovery. Itā€™s similar but based around buddhist principles.

6 Likes

You got us here if you need anything.

Thanks guys, it went well !! I spoke and somebody thanked me for helping himā€¦
I also took my 60 day chip!!
I still feel kind of insecure or whatever today but whatever.
One day at a time right?
You guys are awesome Iā€™m really glad I found this forum.

15 Likes

Great news!!! Congrats on picking up your 60 daysā¤ļø. Your openness and determination are inspiringšŸŒ…

1 Like

Well done on going to a meeting like everyone here whos a AA person it saved my life , i was ten years sober before Smart started their groups no blogs or rehab so im grateful AA was about .im in my 33 year now new way of life wish you well

4 Likes

Welcome to the family

2 Likes

Glad to hear this! I still get self conscious when I share, then I have to remember itā€™s not always about me, and that by sharing you are often helping someone else hear what they needed to hear that day.
Keep going back, it gets better and better. Make connections and use themā€“most people in AA are happy to help others, and looking for connections too. I now have people I can call or text for support, or to hang out with and go for coffee or a workout, etc. The more you immerse yourself and ā€œget in the middle of the herdā€, as they say, the more benefits to you and the greater your chances of success. :blue_heart::blush:

4 Likes

That sounds good :+1::blush:

1 Like

I never get self conscious about sharing. We have a timer at my meetings of choice and 3 minute share time, I typically use up all the time. It helps me, sometimes my ramblings lead to new discoveries or pathways of thought and how a lot of my past issues or current issues can be boiled down to something simple. Like ego being inflated, or having fear of something and letting it persuade or dissuade me from action to correct it.

5 Likes

Being addicted to pain pills I always felt a little awkward sharing in AA meetings since they wanted me to identify as an alcoholic, and my addiction stories always seemed to fall flat. NA on the other hand was crucial to my recovery and continued sobriety. There are thousands of years of sobriety in meetings and I found out very quickly that my story was the same as so many people.

5 Likes

The speaker at my AA home group last night shared extensively about his opioid addiction, it was very well received because our group is known to be open to shares/speakers about addiction in general as long as the person has a desire to quit alcohol (in an open meeting not even that is required!). So many different ways to have an AA group, they are autonomous to the extent that it doesnā€™t affect other groups or AA as a whole according to our traditions, and that is a LOT of autonomy! I gravitate towards AA groups that I hear home group members sharing openly about the MANY different forms addiction takes in their lives, and tend to avoid the ā€œalcohol puristā€ flavored groups :wink:

5 Likes

My home group is a bunch of old men in suspenders who 100% respect the fact that I have more addictions than just alcohol. In fact so do they. Thereā€™s nothing funnier than a 70 year old dude talking about railing lines in the bathroom of the clubhouse when he was first trying to get sober. I focus on the Ism of my disease, which manifests in alcohol and drug use. But no matter what I share (or when I get asked to speak) I always tie everything back to the solution. My solution will always be the steps and my higher power.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been to only three AA meetings now. One group I donā€™t think will work for me, the other two maybe. I enjoyed the ā€œBeginning 12 Stepsā€ the best. Breaks it down to its simplest form and longer time members speak about what it means to them. Itā€™s a larger group with many well established members and friendshipsā€¦slightly iintimidating.

3 Likes

I regularly attend AA as well as NA. They are a vital part of my recovery. Iā€™ve tried in the past to do it on my own and relapsed. I now am working on my step 1. :blush:

7 Likes

A word if advice that has kept me clean is my toughest times NEVER CRAVE ALONE

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been sober for 22 days and Iā€™ve gone to at least 10 AA meetings during that time. Itā€™s immensely helpful for me to hear other peoplesā€™ struggles and stories and how similar they are to mine. I was also able to get a temporary sponsor who has recommended literature and podcasts that have proven helpful. Sheā€™s the person who told me about this app! If the religious aspect of AA makes you nervous, see what kinds of meetings are in your area. I go to an Agnostic/Free Thinkers meeting. I hope youā€™re able to stay sober and well!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum Sara. Well done on the 22 days.

1 Like

Itā€™s something Iā€™ve thought about too but Iā€™ve been put off previously because Iā€™ve been told it has a very religious feel to it. Iā€™m not sure whether anyone else can speak to that!?