Does anyone else feel that they DON'T need AA?

Was on a ship sailing up loch ness last year never seen the monster . seen a few in my drinking days though lol dont have that prob today

I am giving AA a try this time. I donā€™t agree with everything either-and in fact I have a hard time even saying the word alcoholic out loud! But I am getting a lot from meeting people that are going through this journey too. I went to a meeting in my own town and found some people there that I knew - and this helps make me accountable. There are many different types of meeting. Tonight I am trying a smaller discussion meeting with two women that I met at a a previous meeting. Try it - it doesnā€™t hurt to try. Add as many things as you can to your life to ensure sobriety. A new group of sober friends canā€™t hurt.

2 Likes

Good your going to give meetings a try nothing to lose only need to takeaway what you need from them some wont agree with you but youl find friends that you can go with and it will make it easier . i went and i was home, its not for everyone but everyone is welcome wish you well

1 Like

Yea righto get ur point im new and was unaware u could search a topic if i new how to delete it i would

1 Like

Oh man, you donā€™t gotta delete. Iā€™m sure you will get some answers you seek and on your topic, you will get notified. I think @C-sun was just letting u know how to navigate the forum. Cuz suprise suprise, this question comes up a lot. Lol. So there may be an answer that speaks to you in an old thread.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re here man. And Iā€™m glad youā€™re asking questions:)

AA/NA does NOT cure alcoholism/addiction, but what it does is put you in touch with like minded people that have the same goal in mind - to stay clean and sober. Iā€™m not for or against AA/NA, but all Iā€™ve been hearing today is how people need it, I neither disagree or agree, itā€™s the person and the circumstance that needs to be addressed personally, I personally didnā€™t do NA meetings, and Iā€™m 65 days clean from oxycodone .

Most people here will disagree with me and steer you towards AA is the only way, stay strong, and stay sober, that is truly the ONLY way, now how you go about that could include AA/NA, and thatā€™s great, whatever it takes to stay sober,but itā€™s not the only way

With respect I disagree with you on the point where you are saying majority of AA people here say itā€™s the only way, they certainly do not say that and Iā€™ve been using this site for over 10 months now.

Iā€™m a big fan of AA, but I am not naive enough to think itā€™s the only way and Iā€™m pretty sure my AA friends both here and in my group are intelligent enough to share the same view, itā€™s just what worked for us and it helped us find that inner strength to stay strong and stay sober.

Not seeking an argument with you, I think itā€™s wonderful you are progressing in your own way, but just feel your comments on this particular point are not a true reflection of the AA members on this wonderful forum.

3 Likes

No argument initiated, we can agree to disagree, and I agree with your point of view, and I did not say everyone, I said some people, if I said majority, then I stand corrected and used the wrong word. Iā€™ve been on and off of here since 2016 so Iā€™ve seen a lot of posts, both smart and people just talking out of their ass (like I once was in early recovery for the first time thinking I had it all figured out facepalm)

You wonā€™t get anywhere without some willpower, I donā€™t care what program you go to, even people in jail find a way to get their fix, I stand by my statement.

People are getting defensive and ganging up on me lol, really?

My opinion is also non biased, and Iā€™m neither for or against it, I donā€™t see the problem with my own opinions, itā€™s the one thing Iā€™m entitled toā€¦

With all due respect, you are doing great and this is not meant in a negative way, but you should realise you are still in early recovery. I am 304 days sober and I am still in early recovery.

1 Like

I never said I wasnā€™t in early recovery,not sure where you got that from, my comment in response to you said back in 2016 when I was early in my first recovery, like before I relapsed because back then I thought I had it figured out at 45 days sober, I was sooooo wrongā€¦

Apologies, I just realised I misread your comment.

1 Like

No problem :smile:

Just curious to see if any of the original posters are still around and how their sobriety is going these days. I donā€™t recognize some of the names so they might not be posting any longer but hopefully they see this.

Iā€™d just like to add to this, AA does not claim to cure Alcoholism, we can never be cured, but it can provide a solution.

Iā€™m an allergy person, I have hayfever and also a fruit and nut allergy just discovered through blood tests recently after a couple of bad reactions. I know I will never be cured of that either, but in the same way as my sobriety, I can stay healthy by avoiding them. It does suck though as I love oranges and have eaten them regularly until now and now I know I must avoid them to stay healthy, the same principle applies to alcohol and AA taught me a lot about that.

1 Like

A few are around occasionally. Not many are regular posters anymore. Heck Iā€™m not sure I fall into the regular anymore either.

Well you replied so that means youā€™re around lol. I just see a lot of people swearing how they donā€™t need AA/think itā€™s dumb or whatever and it would be interesting to follow to see how working their own program worked out. This is why itā€™s so hard to do studies on it either way. Most people are tough to stay in contact with.

1 Like

People generally come and go, a bit like meeting rooms. I do worry about a lot of the old regulars and send my positive thoughts their way.

I will pray for them, if thatā€™s okay with them lol.

1 Like