Does anyone else feel that they DON'T need AA?

Positive thoughts is perhaps my version of prayer :smiley:

Well letā€™s face it life gets busy. Especially for us that kinda destroyed our lives. Have to get our tools out and fix . Just for the record for everyone reading this one of the ANON posters (a non AA) just passed word through @VSue (I think I have right lady) sheā€™s still going strong too.

1 Like

Ah so you didnā€™t read all of my posts, gotcha. No discrediting here, simply my opinion

Every post that involves ā€œAA or no AAā€ does not need to turn into petty arguing between members. Honestly I am tired of seeing people from BOTH sides of the argument outright bashing each other. Just knock it off. AA works for some, AA doesnā€™t work for others. Some people can just quit drinking without any support from others, and some cant. I donā€™t want to have to keep closing topics because of arguments sprouting over this.

8 Likes

Rule 62ā€¦

I disagree completely. I quit smoking 5 months ago, after 28 years of smoking. I smoked every day, all day, every 30-60 minutes. I am also addicted to alcohol, and drink daily, and I am now trying to quit drinking. I see exact parallels.

:clap::clap: Thank. You.

I wasnā€™t you suggesting you said it does just adding my thoughts to your comment. Have a good day :smiley:

1 Like

Hey!! I now have 7 1/2 months,without aa. I quit heroin,pills and smoking a 20pack og cigarettes pr day,after 22years,all on the same day. But i get a lot of support in many different places instead. So,I have done this all alone and all by myself. But still got a lot of help and support along the way. Most important to me the first couple of months was having somewhere to go and someone to talk toā€¦ And I filled up my days with different things to do,like training,swimming,work a little,made two friends(my family lives in a town 5 hours to drive from here,so i donā€™t get to see them much). So you can definetly do this without meetings as wellā€¦ Have a nice day :slightly_smiling_face:

I am 136 days sober and never been to an AA meeting. Not saying they donā€™t help some people greatly and it is perfect for some. Just not me. I am in the same boat as you, I cannot relate and it doesnā€™t benefit me so why go. Do what you feel is right for you. I actually just discovered lifering.org last night. It is a secular recovery ā€œprogramā€. They only have meetings in like 5 states but maybe yours in one of them. I was very intrigued. Check it out. Good luck my friend and congratulations!

2 Likes

P.s. sorry I didnā€™t realize this post was from so long ago. Hope you are doing well.

I just hit 270 days sober. No AA. I did do a 30 in 30 with outpatient therapy back in the beginning but returned to my normal life.

2 Likes

369 days because of AA, my higher power and the 12 steps

5 Likes

Decided it was time I got serious about staying sober. 665 days sober wirh AA. No relapses. No regrets.

6 Likes

365 days today. No AA regularly. Tried many meetings but didnā€™t really love it. Started with IOP.

I was a daily drinker for about 30 years and it became to be a bottle of wine a day, and turned into an addiction that was hard/nearly impossible to break (without IOP). I feel free now. Celebrating with a retreat with She Recovers in the Berkshires in Massachusetts

I work on my sobriety with reading blogs , podcasts, and now this retreat. I tried AA but not sure it is right for me.

5 Likes

601 days, no AAā€¦a lot of years struggling to get sober after 40+ years of drinking. Sobriety can be achieved without AA, but everyone is different and it is worth trying every avenue to find what works best for you.

1 Like

63 days and no AA. AA is one way to recover but itā€™s not for everyone. Chose the path that best works for you.

2 Likes

Most folks canā€™t get past the ego deflation part of AA, itā€™s definitely not for everyone. Iā€™m glad it exist, helped me tremendously.

Like Motel 6, weā€™ll leave the light on for ya.

5 Likes

I love seeing everyone days sober, however they made it happen.

For me, what brought me to AA was the need for me to develop a sober network in my local area. I draw so much strength from that. :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Do I feel I donā€™t need AA to quit? Thatā€™s a complex question.

Hereā€™s my honest thoughts:

I quit for 46 days now on my own. So I proved to myself that I can quit short term.

I donā€™t want to admit that I might need something like AA to quit, because Iā€™m afraid I might.

I donā€™t want to change my day to day routine, AA will get in the way of that.

I fear that Iā€™ll be ashamed of having to rely on AA to quit.

I fear that if people find out Iā€™m there, that my reputation will be damaged.

I believe I am a strong willed individual and I am not weak, therefore I donā€™t need AA.

Iā€™m afraid of AA.

When I put my ego aside, and became humble enough to walk through the doors and sit in during a meeting, some of my fears disolved and the only reluctance now is changing my day to day routine, because change is hard. One day, I can see myself there.

In that one meeting alone, I found that quitting drinking is the battle. Working on yourself, discovering and fixing the reasons why you drink is the war. I donā€™t think I can win the war alone, for that, I need help.

6 Likes