Don't Feed the Trolls

If you’ve been here for more than a couple of months, you know that this forum is quite open-minded, and most have found ways to disagree, without being disagreeable. That’s one of the things I love about the absolutely beautiful souls here, and this includes those beautiful souls who don’t believe in souls. This post isn’t about these people. Folks are folks.

Nope. This topic is about trolls. I don’t think this forum has a “Troll Problem”. The Mods are quite adept at keeping this under control. No, the forum has a “Problem Troll”. His problem isn’t with AA, or religion, or anything to do with sobriety. His problem is with this forum. He’s angry that he got shown the door, and now he is determined to sow as much hate and discontent as possible, before the bouncers grab him, and toss him out.

His favorite targets are Christians, AA, and Women.

So, if you see a post that is specifically written to be confrontational, from a screen name you’ve never seen before, click that profile and see when that person joined.

If someone just joined, and instead of doing a normal intro like “Hi. My name is StevieTee. I am here seeking answers and support in my struggle with my DOC” as a first engagement in the community, and instead writes “There is no God!” or “AA is for suckers”…this is likely our regular troll popping out from under the bridge.

Or you might read very similar comments from “different” users, all who have just recently joined.

We are tempted to welcome, question, support, and confront. I am no different. But the truth of the matter is, his objective is destruction, not creation. My approach going forward is:

dont feed the trolls

51 Likes

This is the first forum I’ve ever been on. After the first time I saw it, I just read them and think “awww geez, really?” Although I have to admit the back and forth gets salty and is pretty much like a soap opera. It’s hard to look away! But at this time in early sobriety it’s also exhausting reading these negative posts. Thanks for posting this!

4 Likes

You are welcome. We’re practically sober-twins!

2 Likes

We’ve had persistent trolls in the past, and I’m sure we’ll have some more in the future. We’ll just keep showing them the door until they eventually “starve” from the lack of attention.

12 Likes

When I read “Hey, I have freedom of speech” during our troll’s last dust-up, it makes me relive a conversation I had many years ago, with my now 30 year-old son. He couldn’t understand that it wasn’t what he was saying, but rather how he was saying it.

I said “Son, I believe you are operating under a flawed premise, that this house is a democracy, which is necessary for you to have free speech. I can assure you, it is not.” He replied “If it’s not a democracy, than what is it?.” My answer, “It is a benevolent dictatorship, and unless you have the means to stage a revolution, it will remain one.”

18 Likes

Thank you, I like this post. I’m on day 19 and it’s hard enough doing the work and staying sober in these early days without all the negativity and vitriol this person is bringing to the forum. I have been avoiding the troll drama because of the AA bashing and the ugliness he brings to an otherwise lovely bunch of folks trying to help each other. I try and sympathize and remember that for whatever reason this person (and all trolls, really) is angry and miserable and trying to spread that misery around. Then I look for the positive messages here and that always lifts me up. Have a great day all. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Some just want to be crabs in a bucket.

3 Likes

Yes! I love the crabs in a bucket analogy.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Oh man I’m a Christian woman who LOVES AA!! (layin low with this one)
But seriously, as always, wise words from you @Yoda-Stevie. There are quite a few of you older wiser ones on here that I look up to and listen to. Your presence makes me feel a little safer on this forum. We are all quite vulnerable on here and through this journey of sobriety, so its nice to know there are voices of strength and reason. So thank you!!

6 Likes

The downside is his PM’s to me are now gone:

Him: I am confused. Who is Cardioman?

Me: I bet you are, Sunny.

Him: Dude, what’s your problem?

Me: My problem is alcohol.

Him: LOL. So who is Cardioman?

2 Likes

I did think it was odd that when I asked him for a citation to show me God didn’t exist he quoted Ricki Gervais (who I do think is funny).
No thanks.

4 Likes

I fell for it the other day! Thankfully because of the program the aforementioned troll so despises I have to practice my opposite actions, which for me means trying to refrain from judgment and taking other’s actions personally. I’m sure that person is also a victim in their own way, and I hope that somehow lashing out at us and being rejected will still push them foward in recovery one way or another.

3 Likes

I noticed their is one in particular floating around. Thanks for the heads up.

The worlds most interesting man

3 Likes

Is this the same as “sober without AA” person? Because I was really disappointed to see that post completely disappear rather than just get locked. Or at least I can’t find it. But just 1 day later we get an anti-God post? Oy. I haven’t seen anything against women yet but I’ll be looking for it. LOL

Now to be fair…“troll-ness” isn’t always immediately obvious. Sometimes it takes the response to the response to get clarity. So an initial “are you kidding me?” is fine, but if you find yourself arguing back and forth it is time to just let it go.

Yes. Same guy. His posts against women were some of his earliest trolling. Truly disgusting comments made to certain users here.

As I pointed out, there are “clues”. Click their profile and check to see when they joined, and how many threads they’ve started or commented on.

1 Like

they mostly come at night

4 Likes