Drinking & smoking

I have been over 6 months clean with drinking and 4 months smoking cigarettes. Not a easy thing but I have not cheated but I’m having a hard time and want to drink again good things to take my mind off that. Thank you

2 Likes

@Anna That’s awesome, keep up the hard work! It can be hard at times when the thoughts creep in. I try and stay busy, pray/talk to God, go to the gym (produces the feel good endorphins), talk to someone I trust or listen to positive music (gospel my favorite)! Hope you have an awesome sober day! Stay strong! :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::point_up::point_up::point_up::tulip::tulip::tulip::v::v::v:

1 Like

That’s good work i now how hard that can be. I packed up smoking 2 months ago & 24 days sober.Sometimes it feels like both my arms have been chopped off; my cravings for a ciggie feel worse & sometimes think what’s the f**cking point;trying to find sobriety but feeling so lousy;this better change.
Keep going I suppose & all the best to u on this one :+1::+1:

I can safely say that I’m never going to quit smoking… My high levels of anxiety makes that pretty much impossible right now. Lol. But more power to ya if you have the willpower. :smirk:

My next challenge…
To quit smoking again, i did it once before for 7 months when i was sober for 4 years.
I have to say it was the best i have felt in a LONG time!
The trick is to quit drinking first, nearly impossible to quit smoking if your still drinking, the kind of go hand in hand, literally!
Of all the addictions I’ve had to face smoking cigarettes has got to be the hardest, and even though it’s not as noticeable as drinking or drugs it is IMO worse then any of the above…it’s just more socially accepted and doesn’t interfere with other peoples lives or cause them grief so most people just ignore it as a bad habit.
Heck, ever go to a AA meeting…95% of people there are outside smoking before and after.
Totally accepted as not such a bad thing when in fact it’s just as bad if not worse on your health.
I brought it up to my therapist and even she said “well you just quit drinking so one thing at a time”.
I’ve quit cocaine, exctasy, meth, and drinking…all were easier then quitting smoking.

When i can finally beat cigarettes i will truly be happy…

Good luck!!

2 Likes

@Rikk I agree with you! I want to quit smoking ciggs as well but one addiction at a time lol I know I’ll get there sooner or later but I really want to master the drinking one first! Heading towards healthier goals Lil by Lil :smile: You can do it, stay strong! :blush::smile::sunglasses:

1 Like

I was a chewer and it took me like 3 months to feel normal and have no cravings. Started when I was 14 because I am a huge baseball fan.

I wouldn’t say it’s socially accepted… People glare at me like i kicked a puppy while I’m smoking. It’s really irritating actually.

Anyway, good luck hun. :smirk:

Socially accepted meaning people might glare or whatever but no one’s going “omg that person needs help” like they would with an alcoholic or drug addict

1 Like

Lol. Hard to know, being that I’m not a mind-reader. I know my parents definitely feel that way though, because they know that I’ve developed chronic bronchitis because i smoke.

You guys should all read “the easy way to quit smoking” I read that book and quit smoking the first time when I got to the end. I smoked for almost seven years and I have been quit for almost a year and a half now. Once you realize how easy it is, it’s really a good read. Once you get past the first week or so for me anyways you completely forget why you ever smoking to begin with

1 Like

Hi Rikk
I gave up smoking 2 months ago, I actually gave up 9 year’s ago but stupidly started again 2 year’s ago. I didn’t intend to stop drinking & smoking at pretty much the same time but just over a month ago I knew I had to stop drinking as I’d hit that rock bottom point that I think most alcoholics have! I think giving up smoking is probably one of the hardest addictions to overcome the craving is horrible. I know what u mean about most people in aa being smoker’s which makes it even harder;but I’d say the 1st 2 weeks r the hardest be prepared for cravings after that but they go just as quickly as they come and get fewer and far between. I used the nicotine patches which helped me!

1 Like