Driving test today!

Since becoming sober, I’ve been working towards learning how to drive - something I never thought I would do. Today I have my test and I’m really nervous. I feel really unprepared. I’ve had 10 lessons, but spread out over 6 months. Every time I’ve had a lesson, I feel like I’m learning from scratch. I haven’t been practicing regularly, as no one I know has a car in NYC! I’ve been trying to come up with excuses to cancel the test (the date can’t be changed), but I’ve decided I’m just going to go for it anyway, even though I think I may fail.

I’m nervous about what my potential failure at the test will bring up for me, so I wanted to check in here to make sure I remain accountable, and resist the urge to drink my (potential) sorrows. Thanks for being there, sober family. :sparkling_heart:

13 Likes

Good luck on the test! Deep breaths. You got this!

3 Likes

You can do this!! Think positive thoughts, know you are worthy of your license and if it doesnt work out today, you know you need more practice. Have some faith in you and try your best :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s just a driving test! I know loads of people who had loads of practice and still had to take it multiple times. One person I think took 5 goes.

If you pass then obviously that’s amazing but if you don’t, at least you will know what to expect next time :blush:

4 Likes

Good luck! Just something to keep in mind: those bazillions of cars you see in and around NYC…every one of them is driven by someone who had to test, and I’ll bet they were nervous too. But they passed, and now are cutting people off, and double-parking.

1 Like

Good luck :heart:

1 Like

Hey - awesome! Everyone is nervous about that test - no matter when they take it. Thinking about you and sending good parking energy🤗!

3 Likes

Go get that license!:raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes

You are all SO sweet! Thank you!!! :heart:

2 Likes

That’s the truth lol and I swear they are pretty lax about it anyways I feel.

2 Likes

GUYS I GOT MY LICENSE! I scored 100%! Thank you all SO much for being there for me. Sobriety is the BEST! :cherry_blossom::sparkling_heart::blossom::butterfly:

17 Likes

That’s awesome :hibiscus:.:raised_hands:.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Way to go!!!

2 Likes

3 Likes

We knew you could do it! Now get out there and double park like a pro. You’ve earned it!

2 Likes

I can’t help but feel this is all a metaphor for sobriety. Just like I never thought I would be a driver, I never thought I could actually be someone that doesn’t drink. But here I am: sober, in the driving seat of life :slightly_smiling_face::blossom::cherry_blossom::yellow_heart:

7 Likes

How old are you? I’m a country bumpkin I guess. Had my license since 15.5! I’m happy you passed your test wooooo hooooo!

1 Like

I’m 31 and a city girl! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Dont worry too much… I cut a car off and they blew the horn at me. All my teacher did was laugh and beat on the dash… I passed …So even the driving part doesnt have to be perfect…you will do fine…

1 Like

That’s awesome lady! I’ve never met anyone who did 100%. Where I grew up you either failed miserably, failed with a 67 or passed with a 71 or 73. Those were the options. Haha, I failed with a 67 then passed with a 71.

I’m so happy for you! What a huge achievement! Sober Life!

1 Like