Dry January decision time

I have tried everything to moderate. I even made myself a set of actual physical tickets a couple of years back and actually gave them to myself in real life. That worked…for a couple of weeks. :man_facepalming: I cringe when I look back now.

2 Likes

I can do that…

I tried different approaches as well. I ended up on my knees and asking someone to help me, to stay strong. I am not religious but I was so tired of continuing my life like that. I was spiraling down and anyone offering help I would have pushed away. I was the victim of my life. I had to focus on not drinking for today. And each day it was easier, really. Sometimes I would stare at the counter thinking about the amount of days flushed down the bottle of wine, thinking wtf, then I just restart. I didn’t throw it away for one night of numbness. I come here to learn from people jsut starting as you or people with thousands of days sober like @SinceIAwoke Dan. I can only learn in life, from bad and good examples.

3 Likes

Yes. Thanks, Franzi. I’m learning a lot in here.

1 Like

I’m in!! Let’s go! :raised_hands:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

I watched a TV series a while back before I quit drinking, but after I was already feeling like I should, and there was a part where the one woman was asked why she didn’t drink and she simply stated: “I just like myself better when I don’t drink.”
I haven’t used that yet, but this is making me think I should start adding it to my simplified reasons tool box.
Free February, here I come :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Then stay dry. Hindsight being what it is, it is a choice. For me, I struggled. As the sober days added up it became easier. What I learned, those that loved me never judged my “dryness”. Secretly, and some not so secretly…respected me for it and were thankful for it.

We are all here to support you and help you should you need it.

3 Likes

The cliche - “One day at a time”. Yes it’s a cliche now but only because it helps if you feel daunted. And why not tell your friends that you felt so much better during Dry January, you want to keep it up for longer? You are not lying! :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your responses. They have really strengthened my resolve today. This morning I was on the fence about the whole thing, but now I am 100% committed to a Free February. I am a teacher in a secondary school in Singapore, which means that I have a half term break in February. Holidays from work usually mean a week (or several weeks) of obliteration, hence my reticence and uncertainty earlier.
I’m in if you lot are in!
Thank you.

5 Likes

Your exactly right no one cares and we dont owe anyone an explanation just say I dont drink period. That’s it end of story true the usually fall right back into there own self absorption.

1 Like

I usually dont read long stories but this one I really enjoyed you can tell it came from your heart and how sincere and dedicated you are to your sobriety. Great inspiration for me. Thanks God Bless you!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this response, Jenna. It has really moved me that you have given so much time, thought and energy to a total stranger on the other side of the world. The idea of giving up forever overwhelms me and sparks a craving. The idea of just getting to bed sober is manageable. Thanks (to you, and to Dan earlier) for taking the time to flesh it out. If you hear something often enough, it becomes just words and loses meaning. When you hear it expressed clearly and thoughtfully, it makes you see it.
Thanks again to everyone.

3 Likes

I am so glad your resolve has been strengthened!! I often say that I know exactly what drinking offers me…anxiety, shame, heartache, regrets, hangovers, I could go on and on…but sobriety??? That is a whole brave new world to learn and explore. :heart:

I too read This Naked Mind early in sobriety and took so much from it. Her book helped me understand what I was putting my brain and body thru more clearly and helped me move forward in sobriety. I really have enjoyed so many sobriety memoirs and other books on getting and staying sober…a solid part of my journey.

So glad you are here. I will definitely join you for Alcohol Free February!!!

4 Likes

When Jenna speaks or writes I always listen.
She is such a blessing to this place.
@Singtone
@Private50

2 Likes

Thank you :pray:t2:

1 Like

I know what you mean…

1 Like

never read the naked mind i suppose its helpfull to some people keep on trucking

3 Likes

You’ve answered your own question. If someone offers you a drink you have to just say “no thanks,” that’s literally all you have to do. If they push drinks, they are not friends.

3 Likes

Well, they might still be a friend. Just one who doesn’t really comprehend or understand alcohol issues well. It can take awhile for our friends and family to truly understand alcohol abuse issues, addiction, sobriety, etc.

6 Likes

Can you give me some recommendations for other books to read, please, Sassy? I love a good recommendation.

1 Like