DUIs. A rant

I agree with you, and tbh its not the drunk driving that I have a big issue with on the scale of things for the reason you’ve mentioned. We’ve all done things we wish we could take back.

It’s the approach from some with duis I’ve seen on these forums of people getting caught and treating it like a game they need to beat. That is very much their sober selves unfortunately.

4 Likes

This is a very niche, specific circumstance. If everyone only drunk drove because of amnesia I’m sure my stance would be softer.

I hope you are recovered from your hemorrhage. That sounds very scary!

Thanks Kipper. I am fully recovered and very grateful to have not only survived it but fully recovered after 4 weeks, against the odds.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear!

Then its best you stay on your side of street. Getting angry at me or anyone venting is just as bad if not worse. You are no better. And the reason for my RANT is because its been close to 20 years since last one. I am in active recovery for 10 years! I relapsed. Also its very frustrating when dui laws differ from person to person and state to state. Someone on here for 5 duis is happily driving…this is a potential 3rd mind you i wasnt even driving at time of arrest and i lose it for 13??? Get outta here!!! I never said what i did was right…i came looking for similar stories and support. And i hv gotten some. If you cant vent about a dui on a SOBRIETY thread then thats very sad.

3 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words!

1 Like

Well i apologize my Venting offends you. Smh. This is why ppl seclude. Thx.

1 Like

Girl, I wasn’t talking to you so don’t come after me with your exclamation marks and rage. I don’t care about your drunk driving offences hence I did not comment on your thread. 🤷

2 Likes

Mmm hmmmm…sounds bout right.

1 Like

Very true. As am I. The OP of this thread basically states I or anyone sharing their experience are complaining. Heck yeah I am! The laws make no sense so I came here to see if any one had advice instead of paying 5 to 10k for an atty I don’t have.

2 Likes

It’s not until you Bury a child BC there mum thought it was a good idea to drink n drive that it all comes into view.:cry:

7 Likes

I am finished defending myself. I regret drinking and hell yeah I regret these consequences. As would anyone.

1 Like

No I didn’t.

4 Likes

It is in some countries! Any alcohol in the system at all while driving, off to jail. Off the top of my head, I believe India is one of those places.

I think the BAC limit in the US even varies state-by-state, but could be mistaken.

Anyhow…the number of empties that I see on the side of the road every single day tells me there’s probably a LOT of people out there crushing “road sodas”.

Edit: not India, their limit is 0.03% according to this.

Most times here, even with the field sobriety tests, they’ll still administer a breathalyzer. If breathalyzer is refused, you’re forced to give a blood sample.

And I agree with you.

Want to add, that as marijuana is legalized in more and more states here (mine included, since 2017), I smell weed blowing out of peoples cars ALL THE TIME. An attitude change is needed there as well, people seem to think it’s somehow ok to do. Impaired is impaired.
Tough part is, they don’t have a way (as far as I know) to test for current marijuana intoxication. They can draw blood, but you could have THC in your system from the night before, day before, etc.

4 Likes

Some interesting statistics from the US.

1 in 5 driver after 10PM are impaired by drugs and/or alcohol. *

A person drives under the influence an average of 80 times before getting a DUI

Of all of the DUI arrests on any given day, it only accounts for 1% of the people driving under the influence.

Only 4% of drunk drivers are ever arrested.

66% of fatal car accidents between 12am and 3am are alcohol related, between 12pm and 3pm its 11%.

In America, DUI laws have been historically lenient that it cultivated a culture of drunk drivers. Kind of sad.

*this may not be 100% accurate, it was.something I heard on the radio years ago and it.stuck with me (might be exclusively on Friday/Saturday nights)

5 Likes

“Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”…

8 Likes

Guilty as all hell. Numerous times. Very, very fortunate that I wasn’t caught, but moreso that I didn’t kill or injure anyone or myself.

It is one of my greatest shames.

4 Likes

That is terrifying!

2 Likes

I consider it unfortunate I didn’t get a DUI. Might have been a reason to stop earlier with bullshitting around. On the underhand my friends gave me my DUI by taking my car. I’m grateful for that, although not at the moment it happened.

2 Likes