DUIs. A rant

@Rain666, I can’t walk heel to toe in a straight line on a good day!!

1 Like

@TMAC. I’m right there with you. It is a sad thing to accept about myself.

1 Like

(Disclaimer: I am not LEO or lawyer, so this may not be totally accurate)

In the US (specifically the State I live in), the police need probable cause in order to place you under arrest for DUI or administer a breathalyzer.

The field sobriety test is the means produce the probable cause to administer the breath or blood test.

In my state, we have what known as “implied consent” which means that when we obtain a driver’s license, we agree that we will take a breathalyzer (or blood) test if an officer has obtained probable cause. Refusing to take the test breaches the contract between you and the state and therefore you forfeit your driver’s license for 365 days.

Of course, you can request a breathalyzer to remove all doubt from the get go, which I’ve seen done a couple times.

What I am not sure on is how many check boxes need to be checked before probable cause is reached. From experience, seems to be 3 different observations.

Damn, that’s pretty hard-core!

That’s very hard-core, but it might actually save people’s lives.

4 Likes

I hear what you’re putting out mate and mostly agree. You get people on here who are mortified at what they’ve done, not just DUIs but any of the shite that addiction makes us do, and of course they deserve sympathy.

My sympathy runs out very quickly when people are looking for ways to dodge their punishment for getting caught, and are mostly concerned with the fact they were caught.

7 Likes

You can be as judgemental as you want.

Seems to me youre using sober logic on a drunks decision making, then wrapping it up in holier than thou paper. Good luck with that.

1 Like

This seems to be an extremely thought provoking subject. Almost afraid to say anything… but my sobriety comes first, so I’m not too afraid… as for me and my experience… Ive gotten out of a DUI and I’ve also had the harshest punishment. Both times I felt the same guilt shame and remorse. When I was given consequences it almost helped me mentally and emotionally because I felt I deserved punishment for a DUI. I’ve never felt relief when it comes to making catastrophically dangerous and insane decisions in a blackout. The endless thought of what I could have done or almost did… or not knowing what actually happend is the sickest and most twisted part of my drinking. The only thing I can do today is forgive myself, let go, trust God and move forward soberly. I had to stop punishing myself… it kept me drunk. So the very thing I detest, I become when I drink. Thus the multiple DUI’s, alcohol poisonings, sexual assaults, injuries, car wrecks, broken relationships and loss of self dignity… the list goes on. Today I have a chance and a choice if I just don’t drink! Thats all I have to say on the matter. I respect all addicts and alcoholics who are trying… there is a lot of FEAR involved. I dont forget what it was like for a second out there destroying my life. I recognize fear for what it is… and I understand it. My faith is the only thing that conqures fear for this alcoholic :heart::orange_heart::green_heart::purple_heart::brown_heart::brown_heart::heart::orange_heart:

16 Likes

He said, judgementally :joy:

1 Like

I wasn’t being sarcastic. You can be as judgemental as you would like.

1 Like

I agree and ty :heart:And just to be clear to SOBER person… I am not trying to GET OUT of anything. I just wanted advice initially. This again is why I do not have much else to to say. Tons of so called ppl in recovery are far worse attitude wise than addicts I have met. Guess thats why they refer to it as being dry. What can you do sighs

Just do not reply to him. Narcs feed off of it as if they themselves are perfect.

I am not feeding off anything. I am unhappy that people, and yes, this thread was inspired by your post about your dui, instead of showing much remorse for the dangerous thing they did, instead try to find the best way of escaping punishment.

Everything you have said and done makes me believe that you are sorry for what you did, but you are infinitely more sorry that you were caught and have to face the consequences.

I’m not trying to troll, or be rude, or upset you or anyone else, but it is upsetting to see some people so, what I consider selfish, that they are more worried about what people will think about the courts taking away their license than they are the dangerous thing they did.

4 Likes

With all due respect. It isnt your call to decide what someone is or isnt “more” upset about. You can only see what they communicate, but you can not feel what they feel.

What is it you want someone who drives drunk do? Ask for an extended sentence and pay extra to show more remorse?

Being upset is a natural reaction that is not always linear to logic. She make a mistake while drinking (helloooo!) and is posting on a sobriety forum. That is working on making real changes. Changes in behavior, to my thinking, provide better road safety than remorse.

Maybe they just need to deal with the practical consequences because its the most tangible thing to start working on in that situation. They have the rest of their lives to be remorseful, embarassed, and upset.

We all have festering wounds that make us snap at society, seems you have found one of yours. I hope you find peace on this.

9 Likes

This is a wonderful post! Thank you so much for deciding to share :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Yes, that’s preferable to the opposite.

1 Like

I’m not sure if “being against unrepentant drunk drivers” could be considered as a festering wound that makes me snap at society. It is in line with society, hence the strict laws against it.

6 Likes

I agree with @lionfish, that was a really honest, inspiring post. Thank you @ProofOfLife

3 Likes

It means alot to hear ya’ll get what I’m saying. The true parallel of one addict/alcoholic reaching another… love ya’ll :heartbeat:
@Lionfish
@Kipper

5 Likes

10 Likes