DUIs. A rant

No doubt…

1 Like

Drunks and addicts cause all sorts of damage and chaos in life, drunk driving being one of those instances. What we have learned is that the drinking and using is but a symptom of larger issues. But the fact is most of us didn’t end up in AA/NA or here because we were living our best lives.

The fact that some of us did not abuse a significant other or our children or get a DUI doesn’t mean we are somehow better than the next sick and suffering person in line. Their story is theirs and your story is yours. Whether a person come here because of a DUI, a significant other leaving, losing custody of their kids from domestic disputes, or any other problem – they are in distress here looking for help and understanding from people that have been there before — many times to help avoid anxiety inducing distress that sent them to the bottle or drugs before.

That doesn’t mean you have to tell them that what they did is NBD or be any less than truthful about your experience. We have learned that we have to pay for the consequences of our actions, but that doesn’t give people the right to be a fucking asshole to someone looking for some understanding. Sometimes all we can do is plant the seed that there is a better way. When people who are sober-curious or are in distress come here and people piss in their cheerios — that is the seed they take with them – that being sober is just as miserable as they are right now. Just as our actions have consequences, our words often have more serious consequences – whether we meant them to or not.

10 Likes

You do realize the hypocrisy in your statement by calling someone a fucking asshole right? You tell people to stick to their experience and then proceed to go outside of your experience. You made a really good point in your first paragraph but then just had to keep going and acting like the very thing you are criticizing. This is not the first, second or even third time you have done this. You seem to be very well aware of everyone here’s shortcomings save for one. I’ll let you guess as to who that might be.

2 Likes

Whats your guilt? Just wondering so we can make fun of u

1 Like

And what consequence, I wonder, do people have to face for calling others fucking assholes?

2 Likes

Also, you weren’t being anything to anyone. You created your own thread expressing an opinion, your opinion. There is hundreds of venting threads on here. What’s the problem. The tough love thread for one is not any different.
I have (as I’m sure many others have) been treated with a lot more rudeness directed at me personally and noone called those posters fucking arseholes. Just for perspective.

2 Likes

Thank you, much appreciated

1 Like

Just so you know. I am genuinely perplexed at how this thread is unraveling… who knew? Have a fabulous Sober Saturday, friend.:grinning:
And honesty no matter who is saying what… I gravitate toward “I” statements. I can respect any feeling or opinion. Acceptance doesn’t always mean approval. Thank God for the tools in my toolbox.
:orange_heart::yellow_heart::heart::green_heart::brown_heart::purple_heart::blue_heart:

5 Likes

Thank you for this.

3 Likes

You have not the slightest clue of my life experiences. Yes I have a right to be concerned about the consequences. This forum is for support not personality profiling/shaming and assumptions. Peace and tolerance are clearly NOT in your repertoire of tools in sobriety. Neither is JUDGING lest one be JUDGED. Namaste.

1 Like

EXACTLY. Thank you for this! Some ppl clearly need a reality check.

1 Like

Beautifully stated.:heart:

2 Likes

I didn’t call anyone in particular a fucking asshole. I said that it doesn’t give people the right to be a fucking asshole. Big difference.

3 Likes

I’m going to stop responding to this thread because it is getting very circular. But I stand by everything I have said.

5 Likes

It just comes across as blatant virtue signaling.

I take issue with it because despite your best effort you are not coming across as a good guy at all. Youre sticking your nose it where it don’t belong and kicking fellow alcoholics while they are down.

They don’t need “kipper” to spell this one out for them, and they don’t need it here.

2 Likes

Just don’t drink and drive
Amen

7 Likes

Yeah. Thanks for the insight. Smh.

1 Like

Keep your eyes on the prize. Don’t let the negative folks drag you down. You’re going to get through this, hopefully with no jail time at all. : )

2 Likes

So much for making amends…

The prize being solid legal representation. Its not a matter of getting away with anything. You may be singing a different song if you were in her shoes.

2 Likes