Eckhart Tolle, cravings and identity

I think it’s important not to overthink this too. If your mind/ego is working positively for you and you’re feeling good, then great. It’s only important to be aware of our thoughts and to know, that often our negative thoughts come from our ego, and it is our ego that wants us to constantly live in either the past or future, and this often can cause fear, worry or sorrow. So, when you’re aware or notice that happening, you can simply bring yourself back to the present moment. It’s not so much about analysing every thought we have, cause that would drive us crazy within itself, if you’re feeling good and thinking positively then great :blush: if not, be aware and be present, notice and acknowledge your ego and then breathe and take note of what’s actually in front of you right now, your environment, the feeling in your body, if it’s not good, what can you do in this moment to relax. Take a breathe. Smile. Notice what’s in front of you.
His book A New Earth offers many tools and practices for understanding and managing ego and being present.
:seedling::sunflower:

5 Likes

I remember you saying you had also read it. And I totally get you saying its life changing stuff. I’m half wat through the book and was finding it a real chore do gave the podcasts a go last week, and now I’m obsessed, every chance I get I wanna watch and listen to this guy speak. Half the stuff is going over my head, (I guess that’s normal depending on where one is on the journey) But its all do exciting and fascinating to me. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Yes this definitely makes sense, and it totally works when the awareness kicks in and you can see negative feelings for what they are. Grounding back the present moment really can change things in an instant. I love how I’m gaining a new perspective of this present moment mindfulness concept, it’s like the universe has so many differant levels that seem to reveal themselves when the time us right!! (I dont know if that makes sense, or if I’ve explained it correctly) life just got a whole lot more exciting and intresting and I’m just keen to learn more :heart_eyes::star_struck::blush:

2 Likes

Ahhh I love this thank you :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: a great perspective to come from. I will add the books to my reading list (which is getting so long…I’m super excited for all the treasures these books unearth) thank you.

And I love this :point_up::point_up:brilliant and very wise. Thank you for your kind words and insight :pray::green_heart:

2 Likes

Love this missy, as always you speak such wisdom.

2 Likes

Ah I didn’t really realise I had, but you are welcome. I really feel like this is the start of a brand new and exciting chapter for me, and I’m so happy that I have folks I can talk to about it, who help me understand. All this stuff goes over the heads of most people I know in real life and it feels magical have you guys here @anon30771928 @anon86726034 and @emc2018 that understand my ramblings :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

4 Likes

Makes total sense, I believe this to be true too :blush: love the way you worded that​:ok_hand:

2 Likes

So brilliant!! Always love your thoughts and perspective @anon86726034 thank you! :pray::blush:

1 Like

Love this @anon30771928 thank you for sharing your thoughts :blush:

2 Likes

I’m reading a book by Maria Felipe at the moment called Live Your Happy, and it is amazing. Very relevant to this conversation we’ve been having about ego and presence; so I thought I’d share some of the things I’ve read.

Maria has studied A Course in Miracles and is an ordained minister at Pathways of Light. I love this book because it is very easy to read, she really breaks down some of the complex spiritual ideas, language and theories (such as the likes discussed above) and puts it into simple, easy to follow prose that, well for me, is easy to absorb and understand :blush:

She shares a key principal of the Course: Whatever you accept into your mind has reality for you. It is your acceptance of it that makes it real.

She says… ‘The ego is the part of the mind that worries, judges, fears, and holds grudges. In short, the ego is out to kill our happy. The good news is that another completely different way of thinking is available to us. The Holy Spirit is right there inside our minds, waiting for the chance to remind us that happiness is our divine right!’ :blush::pray::heart:

We have the power to choose freedom, and even when we may forget we have that choice,we always have more opportunities to choose love. The patience and kindness of the Holy Spirit never go away. Whenever we drift away, the Holy Spirit just waits for our return. We drift because the ego can be very powerful. It convinces us of two simultaneous, contradictory ideas: The first is that we’re unworthy, unlovable, and just not good enough; and the second is that we’ll somehow find happiness out in the world, even though we don’t really deserve it.

Depending on which thought system we choose, we are literally deciding to live in hell (where ego takes us) or heaven (the Holy Spirits neighbourhood). These are not places in the afterlife; they are ways we experience existence right now. We will experience our existence exactly as we choose: “Your picture of the world mirrors what is within”.

Makes so much sense to me, when I apply this knowledge to my choices to drink and how my life is now, sober. There is so much more light in my life. I find it so much easier to be present and grateful. I witness my ego rearing its head, and have more awareness now to bring it into check, and live life on my terms, with joy :blush::two_hearts: sober life = my best life!

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. Love to hear to your thoughts and keep this discussion going :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Omg I love this…will definitely be putting this on my reading list! Its sounds wonderful :heart_eyes::+1::blush::kissing_heart: thanks for sharing x

2 Likes

3 Likes

Strangest thing yesterday! A very serendipitous occurrence… I read your comment about the poet Hafez and having never heard of him (must’ve missed liv_m’s post), I googled the name to see who he is; done a little bit of reading about him, which felt very insightful indeed. Then, about an hour later driving home from work I put on a Tara Brach podcast and the very first words she speaks is about one of her favourite poets, Hafez! she then recites a poem of his! Talk about synchronicity, haha. Feels as tho the universe is sending me a message :blush:

6 Likes

It always is, but sometimes we aren’t tuned in enough to hear it. :heart:

6 Likes

Love this :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

So true :pray::revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

This podcast explains the ego in such a clear, logical and comprehensible way!
https://open.spotify.com/episode/3kTz0xVxfIo2H9QVQIW7TR?si=DLxAz3xnQ9eCKELo0e8SdQ

It’s Tara Brach, Good Othering - Helping Each Other Trust the Gold (if this link doesn’t work search this) :blush::pray::heart:

2 Likes

Oh thanks for sharing I will give this a listen. Have listen to 2 podcast by Maria Felipe after your reccomendation and I love her :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Have you studied the a course in miracles??

1 Like

I did many many years ago. :heart:

2 Likes