Eckhart Tolle, cravings and identity

20 twenty characters 20

33 Likes

I learn something new every time I pick up one of his books. Dude is on another level.

5 Likes

I canā€™t get past the fact he looks like a little leprechaunšŸ€

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a pot of gold inside his little noggin.
Iā€™ve never seen what he looks like, to be honest. Gorgeous and wise is a rare packageā€¦

2 Likes

Leprechauns arenā€™t of this worldšŸ¤”

7 Likes

Yep, wish I hadnā€™t seen thatā€¦thanks for ruining Tolle for me :expressionless:

:wink:

7 Likes

Sorry Selfie

7 Likes

Love this thread, thanks for sharing that powerful post!

I think Iā€™m going to investigate this guy. Thanks @anon86726034.

@anon44659383, that really doesnā€™t surprise me about you!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Do it! Iā€™m a fan :grin:

1 Like

Which one would you suggest I start with? Or does it not matter?

Edit: donā€™t worry, Iā€™ve just downloaded ā€œthe power of nowā€
First one I came across on Kindle. Cheers :smiley:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s thats one I started with! After that i went with stillness speaks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lol the first time I listened I sped it up too, but now I actually listen to it slowed down so I can take time to process what he is saying :grin:

1 Like

Anybody out there reading/listening to Tolles teachings wanna chew the fat with me?? The guy is blowing my mind and I would love someone to bounce ideas off with :star_struck: I find the books really hard to understand and digest, but have been listening to podcast and watching youtube videos and Iā€™m hooked, he amazes and baffles me and stirs up so many questions.

5 Likes

Have you had a break from the forum?? Iā€™m not on the main sight as much these day, sober life is to busy and exciting to allow me to read and post as much.

How are you finding the book?? Oprah does some podcast interviews with Tolle digesting each chapter, I found it so good!

http://www.oprah.com/app/a-new-earth.html

3 Likes

That is some impressive introspection there!! Bravo to you!

4 Likes

Well itā€™s great to see you back sir :blush:

Hmm perhaps Iā€™m missing some fundamentals, I read the first book a long long time ago and only really scratched the surface of its concepts. I will try and find some podcasts relating to theat book. Reading is so tough for me, his language and writing style is very sophisticated and his concepts so abstract.

Thatā€™s great that you were able to catch yourself and your thought patterns in the situation with your wife. Its incredible how much just having an awareness of the situation can take the power out of it and bring a sense of calm.

Would you mind explaining to me your understanding of the pain body? Is this our past experiences influencing our present moment?

2 Likes

Ah yes audio books, I hadnā€™t thought about that :blush::+1: thank you.

So what I find intresting and kinda cool, my little boy is obsessed atm with identify with things as his or mummies. That just as his ego is developing Iā€™m developing an awareness of mine and hoping fully allowing some distance between me and it. Funny how the world works!
And last night I watched a talk of Tolles on spiritual beings feeling pride, and how thatā€™s the ego at work, owning something, as in I did this so that makes me better than you (or them) But instead we should feel a ā€œgoodnessā€ that the universe has helped us along. I find this hard to digestā€¦ itā€™s taken my thinking mind a long time to identify with a positive self imagine and feel pride, and I feel like by doing so has brought me some peace and happiness, so I struggle to get my head round the idea that this is not the right. And I feel conflicted. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Like today is 6 months sober and I feel like I wanna celebrate with pride because itā€™s not been easyā€¦ but thatā€™s just my ego at play and will not being me true happiness.

Like I said Iā€™m new to this and find it very confusing so please :bear: with me.

2 Likes

I love Eckhart Tolles book A New Earth. It is the most important and life-changing book of my life thus far! Big statement I know, but true! : ) The painbody is what he calls old emotional pain we harbour within. This painbody rears its ugly head throughout our lives, causing us to react in defensive, hurting and/or emotional and irrational ways. The ego uses the painbody. We identify with it and therefore stay stuck in our fears and are unable to move forward, be open-minded, or grow.
I highly recommend reading each chapter, then listening to the podcast he and Oprah have done together, on her SuperSoul Sunday Podcast. It really helps in digesting the meaning as well as the language and terminology he uses. Made things much clearer for me. I found A New Earth much easier to follow/understand also in comparison to The Power of Now and Stillness Speaks, not sure if thatā€™s because itā€™s written in a way that is easier to understand, or if Iā€™m just more awakened/ ready when it came to reading this oneā€¦ either way, Iā€™m so grateful for this book and for Tolle! :pray::heart:

5 Likes