Embarrassed ugh

My husband pointed out today that I’m a high functioning alcoholic. I couldn’t even argue with him because it’s the truth. I’m embarrassed and disappointed because for years I got upset about my mom being an alcoholic, and here I am…drinking. I remember picking up my first drink at about 13. I don’t drink daily…only on my days off. I binge drink which isn’t healthy. I’m going to start attending AA meetings tomorrow. I’m ready to change.

41 Likes

Way to go on wanting a better you. Meetings help, reading about the disease helps, talking about your feelings helps, hell it all helps! So glad you’re here!

11 Likes

Congratulations for making the decision to change! Lots of help at AA and here!
P.S. There is no reason to feel embarrassed… it happens and you can/ are going to change it!

5 Likes

Oh, and sleep well tonight knowing that you don’t have to do this shit alone.

7 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate what you shared.

Thank you!

1 Like

This is a big diverse community with lots of categories. Many people check in daily on the “Checking in Daily To Maintain Focus Thread”, many also keep their own threads going. It is all good for accountability and to see how others are doing. There are Music threads, food thread, plant thread for diversion, distraction, education, etcetra. There are many, many, many threads about stopping drinking. You will get excellent support in a caring community as you surely will at AA too. happy for you that you are ready to make the change.

9 Likes

Welcome Lynette.
This is a great sober community to get and give support. We’re all in the same boat.
We do not want to pick up that first drink or DOC
ODAAT.
:pray::heart:

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum and to the beginning of a new life for yourself.

I was a “high functioning” addict as well; and, like you, my mother was an addict and I had no desire to be that. The best of luck to you as you start on this journey for yourself. I hope this forum can be a tool for you to follow the path to a new life. You can do anything you put your mind to.

2 Likes

Super cool! Thanks!

Thank you! I’m glad that I’m not alone.

2 Likes

Thanks for the love!

1 Like

There is LOTS of love here!

3 Likes

As you will see, there are Mental Health Meme thread, Non Politic Memes, Helpful Books, Recovery Dharma, and on and on… it is really helpful to read about other’s struggles, challenges and victories. There are many DOC here, drugs of choice, and AF means alcohol free and the other. Sober selfies, Sober leg selfies.
The policy is to not post on the forum while drunk unless you do it on an “opt in” thread.
The help is here for you. Get involved and ask for the help you need! I am excited for you!

4 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

I was a high function alcoholic myself. Mayby I still am, but a dry one :sunglasses:
Sober for 3 years now with the help of this app and the people in it.
I’ve read loads of topics here and tried many tips. If something didn’t work for me me I tried another. The things that worked I kept. For me the working things where for example: stay busy, explore new hobbies, fill my fridge with healthy foods and drinks, get rid of all the alcohol and empty bottles, avoid alcohol related events the first 3 months of my recovery, be here every day the first year of my recovery to check in sober, etc. I call that list my “sober plan”.
Make your own sober plan! Find and collect all that works for you! Some of the people call it their toolbox. Fill it with good stuff :facepunch:

Go get that sober life, it’s much better then it is right now!

12 Likes

Meetings will help wish you well

4 Likes

Thanks so much! I LOVE the idea of a sober plan.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Lynette, good for you! I loved your post. Sounds like your husband is supportive and you are open to meetings. Sober community is huge for me. I’m happier than I’ve ever been. Welcome, my friend!

5 Likes