Favorite books recent or old?

Epic! I’d struggle hard to make that list. Everyone here has such unique and diverse knowledge in every topic, super cool.

1 Like

I’ve been reading Recovery memoirs for years. Loved Augusten Burroughs and also Elizabeth Vargus for their stories. I’m trying to change up my game as well.

2 Likes

1984, such a classic and profound perspective on authority and society. I saw a play of it at the university I went to and it was incredible. I’ll be sure to add other to my list- huge fan of politics and history.

3 Likes

Awesome – I wish I had recovery material to offer but I’ve always avoided the genre so I didn’t have to face the music. No more avoidance now though!!

1 Like

OMG I LOVED The Stand. Great great book!!

I love dystopian novels. My all time favourite is The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. If you’re in the US the title was Re-birth. Fantastic story of the world post nuclear war.

4 Likes

I just posted my love for dystopia but I HATED 1984. I loved the story but it was torture to read. Especially the part when they are holed up reading the other book. :sleeping:

But I’m well aware that I am in the minority. Most people love it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Trixie-cat and I are currently enjoying A Gentleman in Moscow. Delightful read so far.

4 Likes

Redeeming love

1 Like

The Beach - Alex Garland

2 Likes

Just started this one today… :laughing:
Reading has made sobriety so much more fun.

1 Like

I bought and read The Chrysalids at your recommendation a while ago I believe- loved it, thank you @VSue

I like Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl, explores human suffering and where our true power and freedom lies no matter what is happening to us or around us.

3 Likes

I’d definitely recommend all of them!
Fair warning though, the book “Pimp” by Iceberg Slim, is very raw, blunt, and explicit to say the least. Very informative, fascinating book about street business, ethics and psychology.

And Watchmen & The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series are both graphic novels by Alan Moore. Don’t be fooled, they may be comic books but they are just as well written as any great literature!
And H.G. Wells is phenomenal in general!

2 Likes

@OneBoiledOwl “Man’s Search For Meaning” was an engaging, powerful read. It definitely got me out of a deep funk that i was in when i read it!

3 Likes

Me too! Increased my gratitude and widened my perspective and sense of personal accountability.

2 Likes

@Yoda-Stevie Hmm. Never read those books. Will check them out.
If i was going off a top 5, I’d choose

1. The King In Yellow - Robert W. Chambers

2. No. 44: The Mysterious Stranger - Mark Twain

3. The Art of War - Sun Tzu

4. Watchmen - Alan Moore

5. *1984/Brave New World - George Orwell (1984) & Aldous Huxley (Brave New World)

*i put them together in one slot because i think they are both different sides of the same coin. Both brilliant dystopian books with different execution of the themes and ideas.

And my honorable mentions would be…

· The Hidden Persuaders - Vance Packard

· Secret Weapons for Quiet Wars - “?” (No one knows who wrote it…)

· Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

All of these are susceptible to change of course.

2 Likes

One of my favorite genres! Will check it out!

Other good ones…

Station Eleven
The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin
Into the Woods

2 Likes

Damn can only like it once. My 2nd all time book from childhood…don’t have a copy on me right now but my fave was “Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel”
Mike_Mulligan

2 Likes

Love that novel!! Her best!

1 Like

I was just about to recommend all three of these and saw you did it already. A+ on the reading list. Another dystopian favorite of mine is Oryx and Crane.

3 Likes

I am an amatuer research historian I am constantly reading about 20 books at a time, newspapers, online articles…on and on.

2 Likes