Favourite movie

Are there any movie geeks here? :upside_down_face: I would love to hear which are your favourite movies, I need some new recommendations to survive next few days.

I love all of Andrey Tarkovskys and Ingmar Bergmans movies, they are like my poetic prayers on screen. :grinning: I feel great comfort when I discover such masterpieces, those are the things I turn to whenever I need something greater and more meaningful. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I like movies (music as well) that are like grains for the mill in my brain. :grin:

6 Likes

Iā€™m such a movie geek Iā€™m finishing my undergrad in film by making my thesis currently. Iā€™ll talk movies with someone all day. If youā€™re into properly narrative or doc films here are my top 3 at the moment:

1. Arrival
  2. Cafe Society
  3. Restrepo

That said, it sounds like we both appreciate the visual music of film, the fluidity and eloquence of a moving image, itā€™s ability to say so much more than the written word. If youā€™re looking for the best film I could recommend, thatā€™s easy: Tree of Life by Terrence Malick.

I know plenty of people knock it as a trope that film geeks like it too much, but it does some things no other movieā€™s ever done for me. Itā€™s one that I typically need to sit with for a while before nodding off to sleep. Iā€™d recommend you tour through his films to get an idea of his strengths and weaknesses that come with the territory of reconsidering how to tell compelling stories.

Additional mentions that came to mind today:

1. Rear Window (1954)
  2. The Third Man (1949)
  3. Chunking Express (1994)
  4. Turtles Can Fly (2004) (if you want a brutal eye opener)
4 Likes

The Seventh Seal is a great movie, you have probably seen.
The Bicycle Thieves (Italian, 1948)
The Triplettes of Belleville (French, animated)
AmƩlie (French)
If you like Jim Jarmusch movies, Down by Law, Dead Man.
Smoke (1995)

8 Likes

Seven Samurai! Just loved that one.

An Interview with God really got me thinking as well.

Lawrence of Arabia is an old favourite too.

4 Likes

I wonā€™t post a top movie of mine because Iā€™m not brave enough to expose my preferences. :stuck_out_tongue:

But these two are at least interesting (in very different ways), with general appeal:

• Bokeh (for atmosphere)
  • Primer (to challenge your idea of plot)

And because I enjoyed these at the film festival I was at this year, Iā€™ll list them too:

• Edge of the Knife (a Haida story, filmed in the endangered Haida language)
  • Shoplifters (well-filmed, interesting setting, explores the question ā€œwhat makes a family?ā€)
3 Likes

Man On Fire
:wink:

1 Like

Commando

:gun::bomb:

3 Likes

I LOVE COMMANDO!!! ā€œRemember Sully when I promised to kill you last? I lied.ā€

2 Likes

My favourites (ones that I will watch over and over and not ever get sick of them) areā€¦

1. Monty Pythonā€™s The Holy Grail
  2. The Princess Bride
  3. Die Hard
  4. When Harry Met Sally
10 Likes

The Town
Full Metal Jacket
Goodfellas
Training day
The Shining

4 Likes

Recent movies ive enjoyed are

Satantango (at 9 hours it took me a week!)
Fellini - Satyricon
Tetsuo:Iron Man
Onibaba

Generally I love silent movies, Antonioni, Cronenberg.

1 Like

I think I saw Tree of Life at least four times :slightly_smiling_face: itā€™s one of my personal favourites too :slightly_smiling_face: the way it speaks to me is indescribable. Or I just lay in my room and listen to Zbignew Preisners soundtrack for the movie and it sets my soul on fire. :grin:
Thanks for the other recommendations.
Have you watched Kieslowskis color trilogy?

2 Likes

I loved those movies :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, Iā€™ll check them out for sure, sounds very interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

They were showing Satantango in my town recently in the cinema, but I wasnā€™t sure if I could do it :grinning:

1 Like

hereā€™s one Iā€™ve watched and enjoyed recently

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory
Honey, I Blew Up the Kid
Weekend at Bernieā€™s II
Next Friday

1 Like

They made a Weekend At Bernies II? Why???

1 Like

Once Bitten
Kill and kill again
Bill and Tedā€™s excellent adventure

1 Like

Excellent!!!

1 Like