Feedback on memes requested (vote in our poll)

They are just memes. If someone gets butthurt over a meme its on them.

They have options. Mute the person they find offensive. Dont visit the meme thread, or mute it. Pretty simple.

Policing and flagging what you think is going to offend someone when 49 out of 50 people who frequent the thread will laugh at it doesnt work either.

12 Likes

This queer, gendernonconforming, brown person from a family of immigrants and indigenous people actually enjoys political memes in the thread because itā€™s easy to weed out the people I canā€™t trust and wouldnā€™t want to talk to anyway :man_shrugging:t4::eyes:

18 Likes

Iā€™m on a couple of Facetube groups that have a rule of no politics. It one of the reasons why Iā€™m still on these groups after getting rid of some horrible negative groups a few months ago.
But whatever. I still have my right to scroll on past and ignore.

3 Likes

So you wouldnā€™t talk to someone on the grounds of the contents of their meme posts?

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a fine line here though, Jason. This isnā€™t to you specifically, but itā€™s relevant here:

If one person receives many approved flags, theyā€™re breaking the guidelines and being inconsiderate. If one person hands out many flags that donā€™t get approved, maybe theyā€™re taking things too seriously.

Both people would probably enjoy more peace and sobriety by changing the only behavior they control.

7 Likes

Lol. Fuck no. Iā€™m not going to engage with someone who wants me dead or disagrees with my existence as a whole. They can eat it. :metal:t4:

13 Likes

I believe once we start parsing the memes, the very subjective political/apolitical determination can cause as much heartache as the meme itself. Folks are just as sensitive to being censored as they are to the offending item.

Me? I keep my politics to myself here. If I want to throw political bombs, Iā€™ll join friendface or twiddah.

8 Likes

I donā€™t bother with the meme thread and I wouldnā€™t bother with a politics thread. Iā€™m here here for my sobriety and to connect with other people trying to do the same. I donā€™t do Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc., either. Itā€™s a cesspool of misinformation on both sides and a place that generates hate and intolerance. This is the biggest downfall I see to allowing political memes.

People tend to assume other people have the same politics as them and once they find out they donā€™t there is instant hate. I see this from people on both sides of the aisle. Now I normally am a proponent of free speech, and if political memes are allowed at all then it should be in a different thread; however, I worry that people who normally would have been supportive and loving toward each other will begin doing the opposite.

I distinctly remember someone making a post a couple months ago about leaving because they didnā€™t have the right politics and that they didnā€™t feel welcomed.

Is that who we want to be? Is that what we want to become?

I know I donā€™t.

10 Likes

Well, we have a brand spanking new meme wars thread. Shall we give the experiment a try and keep it politics free? Make a new thread for political memes.

5 Likes

Itā€™s an experiment, glad you shared your thoughts!!

1 Like

It has the potential to turn ugly, do we really need politics on here?

7 Likes

People leave for all sorts of perceived slights here. In the end it all boils down to terminal uniqueness. Addicts and alcoholics always want the world to change for them, and this person apparently was no different.

10 Likes

If the tide turns, we can for sure reopen it up to political memes. Sound okay? Seemed like a good time to try it out.

3 Likes

No rhyme or reason to polls. No worries, we are flexible and if it doesnā€™t work out, we can revert to just one thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not to undermine, but I agree with @slim.shieldsy. A one day poll is a fair ask and the norm. We span many time zones.

6 Likes

Maybe adding possible trigger warning title to the title would put 100% responsibility on the visitor.

When I first started visiting the thread I tested boundaries pretty fast. I learned what doesnt fly. I had a choice to comply or get banned. I chose to comply with forum rules.

Since then, I have posted a few memes that people didnā€™t like. They messaged me about it, or voiced their opinion publicly. even though I may not have agreed that it was offensive, I quit posting Bill Cosby memes, and Nancy Pelosi memes because I want everyone to enjoy the thread as much as I do.

Iā€™m game for a political meme thread. US politicians make some hilarious memes! Every single one of them. Both parties. I havenā€™t been sharing them because I try not to offend.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting suggestion for the ā€œOtherā€ category.

2 Likes

Iā€™m all for a separate political memes thread. I would never visit it. I miss laughing my way through the Meme Wars thread without being distracted by politics. PS: Is ā€˜Meme Warsā€™ is a play on the word ā€˜memoirsā€™? :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

No worries, the thread is as was. Carry on! I got ahead of myself with my desire to organize and optimize!

3 Likes

There are thousands of members, but about 250 active particpants. :heart:

3 Likes