Feedback on memes requested (vote in our poll)

Does that solve anything? Or are we just closing the poll and keeping the thread how it was because that’s just what we’re doing? It seems like people have varying opinions it might be helpful to hear. Or vote on. :black_heart:

What are you even talking about?

3 Likes

No, the poll is open still.

2 Likes

@sassy I see your edit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which one? I am an editing fool! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes please! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lol (plus other characters to reach the limit). Happy voting :upside_down_face::black_heart::two_hearts:

1 Like

I cruise right past threads that dont pertain to me or interest me everyday. I dont even think about it.

Ive made friends in the meme thread that have my back in recovery too. Its my daily check in thread.

We have fun in there. If it doesnt interest you then dont tell us how we should be doing it.

I love and use social media almost everyday too. I cruise right past most of my feed. But there is gems in there that im glad i get to participate in.

Memes keep me sober. Laughing is good for me. I like to make fun of everything. Its how I keep positive in such a crazy, negative world.

There is a million recovery threads, and one meme thread. Pretty simple…

Remove yourself from visiting it. Dont remove the thread

8 Likes

Half my memes come from that group lol. Billwilsontho is another good one

3 Likes

No. People that get offended stay outta that thread. It’s simple. Sorry but there are so many things that offend people… we can’t go making another thread for each category. Just my :v:t3:Cents.

5 Likes

I LOVE those ones. The cigarette butts outside of the methadone clinic ones kill me. Ugh. Keep em comin.

2 Likes

For me those memes are therapeutic. I used to take cig butts from ashtrays outside of gas stations when I was homeless.

4 Likes

No, same. Laughing at the absurdity really helps me.
I definitely saved this one (relatable af)

4 Likes

We are not here for meme’s. We are here for sobriety and healing and support.

While I understand what you’re saying, we’re also not here for sober selfies, legs, food, other just for fun threads that have little to do with sobriety specifically, if we look at it that way. I spent the first Friday night on the forum after joining on the anniversary of my mum’s death on the meme thread, and I don’t remember laughing that much sober in forever (thanks @liv_m my memespiration). And that was almost therapeutic for me. But part of sobriety is connecting and laughing. Maybe it’s not for everyone, and that’s where muting a thread comes in. I get there are offensive ones, and thats where flagging comes in, if it’s truly offensive. I personally think if someone keeps reoffending or purposely pissing someone off, that they should be removed though. I’ve been asked a once or twice to consider removing and I do out of respect. Not meaning to argue, just throwing this out there as another perspective :blush:
I just really enjoy having a good laugh and would be sad to see them go. Its a break for the seriousness of my day for sure. And there’s lots of that these days.

15 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to ask someone to put up with political memes, especially cruel, unfunny political memes, in a funny meme thread. Why should a someone who totally enjoys funny memes have to avoid the meme thread because someone wants to show, over and over, that they are a member (memeber?) of a particular political party? Having a separate political meme thread makes sense to me. I can see this meme thread spinning into viciousness with constant anti-Trump or anti-Biden memes. That doesn’t sound amusing or fun to me. Personally, I would never visit the political meme thread.

1 Like

I cant make that judgment nor do I know what the disagreement was about, the point I was trying to make was not about that one person, but the idea that too much politicing could create a space where one group or another will feel like they can’t get the help they need because they don’t have the ‘right’ politics. Do you think that compassion for people seeking help should be parsed out to groups of people that you deem to be ‘worthy’? Who should decide who receives compassion when people come searching for it? That is the concern I have, and that is why I use the example I did.

So a seperate thread would be good. Our illusion of democracy is designed to keep us fighting. Its by design. So making fun of the people on stage is fun for me. I hope that the people who participate in the thread and have the most fun in there would be people like me who have no attachments to any of it.

2 Likes

Hi Jason! Yes, I agree that a separate thread would be a good thing. I think I got confused when you said “Remove yourself from visiting it. Don’t remove the thread.” I also agree that democracy is an illusion designed to distract us from what is really going on behind the scenes. My problem with political memes is that they are often quite vicious and demeaning, bordering on slander. That’s not funny to me. On we go!

2 Likes

3 Likes

I stopped following the Meme thread. I realized it wasn’t benefiting my recovery and was wasting my time. I would like to add that memes are jokes. People need to realize that the meme thread is made for humor. Nothing on it is meant to be offensive. If you honestly think it’s offensive, then you should evaluate why you think that. The problem is usually looking at people in the mirror.

Leave it how it is. Laugh at your own candidate. I laugh at all politicians. They are all a bunch of jokes. Too much politician pandering and no real solutions.

5 Likes