Feeling lonely- black french woman

Hi. Hope y’all are fine.
I am feeling a little low today. My journey is getting better but I don’t have a support systeme even if I’m sharing. It’s like people are like " she’s strong enough" even for people who don’t know me.
I’m really an optimistic person. And I am right now even if this World IS insane.
It’s like I can’t connect pleny with people. I love people. I shared in a AA group and people never answser…and Sometimes when I talk about race issues they can’t understand or juste talk about them and how they find It irrelevant …it’s damaging me …but I know there are more benefits in my journey that started a year ago…but I 'm doubting…and please don’t tell me race isn’t an issue…please. love :cupid:

26 Likes

I’m glad you’re here. We are all in this together. I’m sorry you’re down and I am also sorry your problems aren’t being taken seriously. I hope you’re not doubting your sobriety as nothing good has ever come from drinking or using. Big hugs from the Netherlands Kadiatou. :people_hugging::heart::people_hugging:

10 Likes

Thank you so much. Your words are really helping me :heart:Hope you are okay

5 Likes

I’m fine thank you friend. In bed already as I have to work early tomorrow. Glad I caught your post and could react before lights out. The opposite of addiction is connection and this is one of the best places to find connection for me. X

7 Likes

Sweet Dreams and thank you because it’s not Always that WE Can Have a word back. Hope yo bé helpfull aswell

6 Likes

Race is most definitely an issue. It is a mark of belonging and not belonging. Belonging (and connection) is a basic human need. It’s deeper than food or shelter. Belonging is (I think) what makes a human feel human. I am ____, we are ____, this matters to us / me because ____… all of it is about belonging - all of it is based on our sense of identity and community - and if belonging is threatened, the sense of basic humanity is threatened (and that is something which can make us desperate).

It sucks to feel lonely and unseen. I’m sorry. I know it’s hard.

Lots of love from here in Canada. :innocent:

It has been a long time that I was only in here occasionally; I have been out of touch. I scanned your recent posts and I see you’ve been doing some activities and hobbies, including baking. I love baking. Do you have some pictures of what you made?

Is there anything I can do to help today?

8 Likes

It can be hard for people to understand your unique background and perspective if their’s is very different. My AA group is all men, and I feel there are some parts of being a female alcoholic that they can’t appreciate (and vice versa). Also in AA meetings, ‘cross talk’ or commenting on other people’s shares is not permitted, which leaves you feeling unheard sometimes. If you do face to face, is there any fellowship (meeting up outside the meeting) that you can join to get some interaction? Or tried checking for online meetings that may have other people that share your background?

6 Likes

It’s unfortunate how many white people are still so ignorant :frowning: I’m sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything. Fr most people really seem like robots sometimes , maybe they were just too insecure or ashamed to share their own stories as well.

4 Likes

There are better and more fun options than using or drinking that won’t bring you pain or long term issues. I obsessively do art and crafts all the time lol. And video games and music and dancing . Find something new to get excited about :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for reaching out today. So sorry to hear about you feeling low and being unheard or dismissed.
I am surprised how so many people either a. don’t believe race is an issue b. the thinking that it’s an over reaction c. all in our minds…etc. This is so hard to deal with on top of you having to protect your sobriety. Race is definitely an issue.
Just because someone is strong does not mean that they don’t need support or someone to lean on. We are here for you my friend - reach out whenever and as often as you can. We are your virtual friends from around the world. I do hope that you are able to find the support you desire in real life.
Loads of love from the United States! :heart: :people_hugging:

4 Likes

Does being a minority where you reside affect your ability to connect with others? If so that’s always unfortunate to hear outside of my locale. I personally believe race shouldn’t be an issue as I see things from a fundamental viewpoint which says to me, that we all have the same basic needs and we all share similar struggles. I can understand people having biases towards other cultures depending on their conduct and traditions, but whether black, white, green, purple, or blue, we’re all human! (Well, the latter might be alien.)

6 Likes

Race is an issue yes, but much like sobriety itself talking about it often makes others uncomfortable. People in general usually want to talk about lighter topics. In sprite of how important we think a topic is to talk about openly, how that topic is received lies in the mind of the person listening. And that is not something we can control…

3 Likes

Last décembre I hard a meeting and thise woman comment on what I said and It was si brutal I still think about It. And in this women group Sometimes they Say things it’s kiné of hurtful…I have to find another group

4 Likes

This World IS not as simple and yes It IS a Big issue in everyday life

1 Like

I’m so sorry ppl are gaslighting you!

Ah, so it was the commenting (not lack of commenting) that was the problem? I’m sorry that people’s words hurt you. We are at our most open and raw in meetings, we should be extra sensitive with our words.

2 Likes

Race discrepancy is a big issue, but the world is also a big place and it’s certainly not the #1 thing plaguing it. Life is not simple in itself, people are not pure, and many discriminate. That’s just reality. If you’re a target of direct, blantant racism then I feel for you, but if you’re worried about something that you cannot change then you’re actively choosing to be stressed and feel low. Not everyone is what you think they are, focus on yourself & the things you can control, and try harder to not allow other’s opinions affect you. You appear to be a beautiful black woman making strides to change her life for the better, you are no less than that regardless of how anybody feels about your race. Opinions aren’t as important as facts.

3 Likes

Keep searching for meetings and don’t give up on connection. There are many virtual sobriety meetings for BIPOC, people of all colors, that many find to be wonderful ways to connect with others that are going thru similar circumstances with race/gender. I’m so glad you are here.

2 Likes

I don’t agree. And it’s a big part on my sobriety path as I said it Can be really triggering in meetings. Not everytime …I need to connect with people who Can understand and are sensitive about it

2 Likes

Pardon my misunderstanding of your circumstances and lack of sensitivity towards it, but I’m confused as to what exactly is effecting you regarding race. I see the mention of the meeting in December, but regardless of what was said does that actually define you? The general claim that race is an issue does not describe how it’s affecting you personally. If this site allows it, start a dialog about race issues with specifics including the discrimination you’ve faced/are facing during your recovery. That’ll help people to grasp a further understanding as opposed to them just recommending things you can do, redirecting you.

Once again, I apologize if I seem insensitive, but it’s quite the contrary - I hate racism/prejudice, but in order for me to understand certain things I need more context sometimes.