Feeling Nervous: 1st Social Gatherings Around Drinkers

Well, first party is a no-go. Wife had 3 teeth pulled yesterday and is still feeling the effects, so we’ll have to wait for the next party. Other than that, I’m feeling pretty good. Got my 50 days in today, so that’s a huge plus. Thanks for asking how I’m feeling. I appreciate it.

5 Likes

Be careful bro, I thought I was ready to mingle after 90 days it was tough,your friends won’t understand your journey, people will still b offer you drinks and some will make unintentional crazy remarks, but for the most part people won’t really notice unless you say something, just have your alternative drinks and don’t feel bad if you have to remove yourself from the situation from time to time or just leave, whatever you do don’t jeopardize your sobriety to fit in, you got this

2 Likes

Unfortunatelly if youre afraid of a relapse, the best thing for you will be not to go. There will be other parties that you will be able to attend, the people will this be there, once youre not afraid of relapsing again you should hold your own party and invite people over :slight_smile:

Fun personal fact, I didnt hang out with anyone or left my house for a while… when I finally hung out with someone who drinks it didn’t even bother me. You will get there :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the best suggestion. Bring a sober friend. It will help keep you grounded.

2 Likes

I was thinking about this - isn’t it interesting how we think of maintaining our sobriety as an invalid or embarrassing reason to avoid a social gathering, but for other things we just cancel without worrying at all.

Hope your wife is on the mend and massive congrats with 50 days!

5 Likes

This is really helpful advice. While I think back on those moments things went badly when I drank, I never thought to write them down to remind myself why I am making this decision. Maybe it would help me, because sometimes I romanticize the experience of drinking, and then I miss it.

3 Likes

Keeping those reasons to be sober fresh in your mind is very helpful!

2 Likes

Yay! For 50 days!

1 Like