Feeling out of it and relapsing

I have been trying to get sober for 2 months now. This is my 3rd day one of sobriety. I was 24 hours away from getting my 2 week chip.I failed at that. I am trying to get sober and stay sober. My husband told me yesterday that because of my alcohol use it made him fall out of love with me and he no longer loves me now. I failed at that too. That makes me want to drink even more but I know I have to do this for me. I have to get sober and stay sober. I just don’t know how. And I go through the days not even feeling here. Like alive on this planet. I go through the days feeling completely disconnected from everything. Is this a normal experience to feel completely out of it when you stop drinking?

12 Likes

My story and struggle too. Way more Day 1’s, than I want to admit.

3 Likes

I didn’t know how either so I reached out for help. I went to IOP followed by AA and those people showed me what to do. If it weren’t for those caring people giving me what was freely given to them, I would probably be dead by now. It’s a “we” program. By following this simple program, I now have 3 years sober and my life has been completely transformed. By no means is life easy but it’s manageable.

7 Likes

Thank you everyone for the support! It really helps and helps me feel not so alone.

You definitely aren’t alone, and you aren’t a failure. You just haven’t figured out how to succeed yet. Read around and reach out when you need support. Welcome!

2 Likes

You are motivated, and that’s a big start. Here’s two threads that have plenty of practical ideas. I pray that you find your way in sobriety. :pray:

4 Likes

Welcome and big hugs. I have been in that position. My husband didn’t say the words, but was just coldly distant. He kept my purse and checked on me constantly. I was totally hopeless and sick and tired of being sick and tired. There are some good links above. For me, I did the 30 day Alcohol Experiment

You have videos and homework each day to learn about alcohol and what it does. That really taught me a lot. I learnt that I really had to quit entirely. In the end, to do that I needed to community and structure of AA.
My husband and I are still a work in progress, but at least we are equal.

3 Likes