Feeling so down

An important part of you has not given up. This part of you reinstalled the app, posted, declared today to be day 1 instead of day never, and is coming back to fight and choose sobriety today. This part of you is evidently not easy to take down, because you’ve kept getting back up to fight again for what’s important to you - a better life without alcohol.

But something keeps weighing it down or blocking your path. Maybe it’s trying to power through on willpower without a clear recovery plan. Maybe your routine or life situation is too full of temptations and needs change. Maybe sobriety just doesn’t seem quite important enough to you when it counts. It could be something not on this list.

Just as you defeated the first obstacle by admitting a problem, asking for help, and deciding to pursue sobriety, and discovered just a taste of how fantastic life can be sober, you can learn to defeat this next obstacle and experience a greater degree of that wonder for longer. But it’ll require thought, self-honesty, and humility to identify the nature of the obstacle, and discipline, commitment, and conviction to surmount it.

If I may go out on a limb and describe what things look like to me, it seems like you’re able to put in a ton of effort into things, and you’re discouraged because it seems like putting in your all isn’t enough. If that is the case, I would consider that the issue may not be a question of work ethic, but how that work ethic is applied. Work smarter, not harder, as they say. That’s why I ask about what was learned post-relapse. It’s also why I value having a mentor who can help me navigate my situation - they have a clearer outside perspective, experience, and a second brain and set of eyes to observe things you may have missed.

I do think you can make this work if you’re ready to try again. I hope you or someone with knowledge of your situation can figure out what you keep stumbling over.

Thanks for coming back :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dont give up! Go for a long walk by yourself today and sort things out In your head. Breath the cool crisp air, clear your mind of the obstacles that keep getting in your way. Make a commitment to yourself to treat yourself in a healthy self care way. You deserve this! And you got this!

1 Like

What is going through your head when you choose to pick up a drink? You want to quit, and you have ample evidence that controlled drinking is not going to work for you.

It’s those thoughts right before you are picking up that you have to fight. You have to have a plan to put in place when they come. I would be doomed if I didn’t have a “sober toolbox” ready to go when I feel like saying “screw it all” and drinking. I cannot drink - no matter what. I have to try fifteen other things until that urge is gone.

What strategies can you put in your toolbox for next time?

1 Like

Thank you all! I am going to bed now. First day sober… tick again yay… Feeling so so happy and good.

1 Like

I will think about this. This is a great plan. Like an emergency plan!

1 Like

Starting day 2 being sober. I went to bed and slept really well. But then I woke up around 4am.thats when I normally wake up after drinking. And I couldn’t fall asleep again. I’m not even tired. Why do I need so little sleep now and when Im hangover I need triple the amount of sleep?

Great job on day 2! Keep at it. This may take some getting used to, but you are on your way to getting better.

Hey @anon35096624 how are you doing today?

Hey @ifs. Thanx for asking! Since yesterday I’m kinda sick. Flu. Got it from the kids. So I’m feeling bad. But in the sense of alcohol it is perfect because I don’t even think of one drop of it…
And how are you? Wishing you a beautiful day!

2 Likes

I’ve got a works Christmas party this Saturday. I’m currently in my 5th day sober but nobody at work knows I’m a recovering alcoholic. How will I get through the night without drinking??? I’m so scared and worried

Thanks! I’m doing okay. Depression has been weighing on me, but I’m handling it. Today can turn out to be a better day.

That’s awesome that you get a break from the alcohol thoughts. Especially when you’re feeling under the weather. Hope you feel better soon.

Congratulations on 5 days. That’s awesome! Can you say you are driving so you can’t drink? That’s what I say and after that nobody asks again. Driving is always a super good excuse!

You are always such a positive thinker. I really like that. I’m sure you will get through the day today and tomorrow is maybe a much better day. Keep strong and stay so positive

1 Like