Feeling so guilty

Ever since my trip this past weekend I haven’t had a single day to take a second and breathe really, I’ve just been going, going, going. Today I accidentally slept in way too late and wasn’t up to get ready and make it to my meeting in time and I can’t go to the meeting tonight because I have to work. I know rationally that it’s okay and sometimes I’ll miss a meeting but I just feel so guilty about it. I bought a big book and the twelve steps and twelve traditions at yesterday’s meeting so I’m just going to read today but I still can’t help but feel guilty.

6 Likes

Do you feel guilty because you feel like you’re letting others down or maybe yourself?

If that’s the case, staying sober makes up for that. :blush:

5 Likes

I think I just feel guilty because I’ve promised myself that I’ll go to a meeting everyday when possible and it was possible today but I accidentally slept in.

3 Likes

I think as people with addictions we tend to go to extremes in our thinking. I know i do for sure. Experienced that today actually. We very much have all or nothing thinking. I understand the guilt for sure for not being able to attend ur mtg but ur also human and ur body is giving u signals thar ur tired. I am also guilty for going n going n not listening to my body… which I end up paying for. Not just physically but I also experience an increase in cravings. Im not sure if u can relate to that part, just thot id mention it in case u have. When i exhaust myself i end up feeling stress, overwhelm, anxiety etc… all things that i used drugs to escape from. Its ok to take a rest. Im glad ur not rushing urself to this mtg. I think that was a smart choice :slight_smile: enjoy ur day and try to remember thar ur human and need rest too!

3 Likes

Yes I relate so much, I’m definitely guilty of black and white thinking, all or nothing. Because I work full time and typically work morning shift my body usually wakes up at 7 regardless of if I’m working or not and today I didn’t wake up until 12.

3 Likes

Finding that grey area is tough. Im still workong ok that too. I get the all or nothing thinking alot with my eating or exercise. I hope ur day improves tho and that u can enjoy ur time with ur books. Ur doing soo well :slight_smile: proud of u!

3 Likes

Can you go to a meeting online? Online meeting resources

3 Likes

Or this 24 hr one:

2 Likes

The only black and white decision you need to make is not to use your DOC. Like Matt said, you can still keep your promise to yourself by hitting an online meeting AA, or other. There’s always one happening.

Take it from someone who has been struggling for decades to find peace in sobriety: Extremes and all or nothing, deals and promises, all lead to disappointment. Guilt is not an emotion that will drive your sobriety. Determination? Yes. A little grace at the beginning? Yes. Beating yourself up, while sober, for missing a meeting? Big ol’ No. Get on line, read a book, call a sober friend, chat here. It all counts as work toward sobriety.

Maybe that’s a better promise: Do something every day that is a positive step toward a sober life.

4 Likes

Thank you I will check this out!

3 Likes

No problem. This kind of thing happens to me all the time; my schedule can be unpredictable. I always try to have a backup in case I can’t make my scheduled time :innocent:

2 Likes

The great thing about AA today is there is literally a meeting 24hours a day online. I didnt want to utilize that option because im “old school” it was new and im uncomfortable with change BUT im so glad i did. Its been awesome.

2 Likes

I often feel the same, one of the hardest things to learn in life has been to slow down and take things easy. I sometimes feel an overwhelming pressure to accomplish and achieve, like there’s someone watching me and the number of chores, projects, fitness challenges etc are being tallied up and my score makes 70% of my Good Human grade.

2 Likes