Fighting the temptation

I’m struggling with not taking a drink, when I know it would be so easy to. I don’t even feel well but I continue to contemplate drinking! It feels ridiculous! Why would I consider drinking when I don’t feel great? It’s an exhausting feeling. I feel weak.

2 Likes

Play the tape out, what’s going to happen after you take that drink?

4 Likes

My body will hate me. I won’t get good sleep. I will wake up feeling unproductive tomorrow. I genuinely love waking up with a clear mind, it’s just frustrating that I KNOW that yet I still have to fight off the urge to drink.

3 Likes

Looks like you listed 3 negative things to taking that drink pretty quickly. I too love waking up with a clear mind. Drinking everyday stole that from me along with so much time and energy. It’s completely normal early on to feel how you are right now. Why don’t you postpone taking that drink till tomorrow? That way you’ll have a good start to the week with a cleared mind and if you still feel like taking that drink tomorrow it’ll always still be there.

3 Likes

Only alcoholics I think truly understand how crazy it is to crave that which destroys us- you’re not alone!
I drink teas and bubbly waters and soda and sometimes non alcoholic wine when it gets real bad (which is basically kombucha).
I agree on playing the tape out- I know damn well I will have more than I want and do something stupid.

Do you like kombucha?

2 Likes

I actually bought some kombucha at publix this evening. They were on BOGO so i thought why not :man_shrugging: I have never tried them before but thought I would give them a try. How are they? And I know the struggle that you talk about. Just trust the process my friend we got this LFG :call_me_hand::muscle:

1 Like

I mean I’m a wino so the kombucha gives me that fermented fix when my cravings get really bad but it’s not for everybody haha. I’ve never liked soda but stocked up for the weekends when I get cravings. I also LOVE hop water - tastes like beer and no alcphol!!!

1 Like

We so got this !!!

1 Like

Struggling does not mean you are failing. If you’re like me, you have a long history of learned responses that end in taking a drink.

Grow your sobriety. Read some AA literature online, or get to an online meeting of your choice. We don’t get sober by sitting on our hands, we put sobriety tools into them and use them! Try these threads for ideas:

4 Likes

It will get better, give it some time…I know it’s not that simple, but if you work on the reasons you started drinking to begin with, the cravings will lessen. And you’ll be able to handle them better when they do come.

1 Like

Hi Sam.

You consider it because it’s what you do. If you’re anything like me, you drink on everything. So every situation in life you used to drink on will slowly but surely need to get rewired in your mind and brain to ellicit a different response from you. And also get a different response in acting. So, you’ll end up thinking about things differently and you’ll no longer pick up the wine when so and so happens/that time of day/feeling xx again/that friend comes over… List is endless.
This will happen oder months and years, this learning. This is not to be cured in a minute.
For today: do not drink. Whatever you do, you’re not drinking.
Let your emotions come and go, your thoughts come and go. Observe what goes on in your head. Journal about it if you’re that kinda person. Early sobriety experiences will be very fruitful to you later on.
Anything you can do, just not drink.

I’d also recommend immersing yourself in your recovery. Here on the app, in AA in real life, there’s lots of recovery literature and podcasts out there, you really get to pick what’s your thing.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Try a meeting getting a good sober network round you can be a great asset to your sober journey lift the phone not the drink wish you well

1 Like

I have never tried it! I too drink a lot of bubbly water.

Thank you! I did not drink and I woke up extremely grateful. I’d be open to hearing about any podcast or books that have been helpful for you. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Awesome, well done, I’m glad for you!
I personally loved the recovery elevator. Start from the start, then after a while just shuffle the episodes!
My fav book was The Recovering by someone Jamieson I think.
Also the AA big book is a must read and so helpful, whether you’re in the program or not. :+1:

Also just use the magnifying glass at the top of this app to search for literature, books, podcasts. There’s a couple of extensive collections on here of what people enjoyed and what helped them.
Enjoy and stay strong my friend!

1 Like

The Recovering by Leslie Jamison. It is one of my favorites as well. Doesn’t get talked about much.

1 Like