First day decision

So. I don’t even know if I’m writing on the right thing. Lol. But today is my first day of deciding to not wake up literally wanting to die of a hangover. I still have a lot of alcohol in my system so I prolly sound very self loathing and sorry for the bad vibes! Just wanted to reach out because I saw this app looking up a positive way to count the days you are sober. I was already motivated to quit my today 100%. But when I see a community button and everyone reaching out to each other and being vulnerable I am 1000% inspired to change my life. I’m only 21. But both of my parents are alcoholics, my dad denying so and my mom 6 years sober. So I’m just trying to keep on the path of recognition of my issue. I drink for days at a time and can’t handle drugs. I’m an addict and I have to be okay with it. Just wanted to introduce myself and maybe seek some support. My name is mary. And I’m so glad I don’t feel as alone anymore

17 Likes

Congratulations on your decision!! This is a great place to be! Read all that you can. It keeps you distracted too

2 Likes

My advice is take on other habits to fill your time. The gym was a game changer for me. And working a lot. I mean A LOT. 65 hrs a week, and working out while still awake. Got me through that initial hump. Also change your circle of friends. Dont be afraid to fail. If you fall, get back up. As many times as it takes.

2 Likes

Welcome Mary. Congratulations on your decision. Take it from me. At 21 you should be so proud that you are taking this step. I wish I had done it then instead of waiting so long but our journey is our journey. You will find a lot of great folks on here willing to stand with you in good times and bad. Always know you are never alone if you just reach out. Be kind to yourself and love yourself for the fantastic decision you’ve made. Remember, easy does it.

4 Likes

Noted, thank you so much. I do need more books actually. That’d probably be a great start.

Thank you so much. It’s so nice to hear this from someone. I’m sure you understand. I’m a server so I should just start picking up all the shifts I can!

1 Like

Welcome, Mary! Being self aware is indeed the best place to start! I spent soooo much time on here for a long time, reading as much as I could until I got the nerve up to post about myself and I am so glad I did. Engaging here, building relationships and getting support has made all the difference for me. And after too many day 1s to count, I just celebrated 6 month sober. Getting a handle on this at your age will be the best gift you can give yourself. Looking forward to seeing you around!

If you’re interested in checking in with us every day, Click here to check out our check in!

5 Likes

Welcome Mary.
Besides all the drinking I did for 45 years. Hangovers are now finally a thing of my past. Waking up at 3 am with a headache so bad and having to get in a hot shower in the middle of the night is history. And I never could shake that headache and get back to sleep. But I would drink again and again and get headache after hangover headache. So stupid. Only an addiction could get someone to behave like that. Never again.

Besides hanging out on the Daily Checkin thread as Rosa suggested I like the Daily Gratitude List
It’s my strongest tool for sobriety. Every day I start my day listing what I’m grateful for now that I’m sober. Not having a hangover was on my list every day for the first 8 months or so.
I hope to see you around. I wish I had started sooner too. But I cannot change my past. I just don’t drink today.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Welcome! Let me just say I am SO happy you recognized early and made this decision. I knew by the time i was 23 and I didnt make the right choice. I ended up in alot of bad situations with alot of bad people. Feel free to reach out anytime. This is a great community!

4 Likes

Welcome Mary! Well done on deciding enough is enough. It’s lovely to meet you and I look forward to seeing you around…welcome to the family! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome to our community, Mary. You’ve come to the right place! Choosing to quit that poison is the right direction to go and very wise for a 21 year old. Many of us here lost decades to alcohol. What a waste of time. I quit 500 some days ago and this community has been a major influence the whole time. It is so amazing to be free of the incredible anxiety that alcohol addiction generates! Do you have a Kindle? I’ve read a couple dozen terrific quit books and the one that really opened my eyes and pushed me to maintain my quit was Allen Carr’s ‘Quit Drinking Without Willpower’. It’s a cheesy title but the book is powerful. I’ve never forgotten that line about how alcohol uses our own voice in our heads to trick us into drinking. Congratulations on your quit and please visit often and tell us how you’re doing. You can do this! Warmest wishes!

2 Likes

Hey welcome, it’s tough starting for sure but you took an amazing step. Seeing my dad pass away from being an alcoholic his whole life was very motivating for me. Please if you need anything reach out on here, it’s a pretty great community.

1 Like

Welcome Mary! You are showing so much courage opening up here & seeking a community of support. It’s wonderful to see & it’s wonderful to meet you.

All of us here started running from life at some point. Somehow - usually by accident - we discovered this substance or behaviour that numbed us for a while. It became our “escape”, and we thought it was fun, or at least, it was nice to escape for a while.

Eventually though, we all realized it was a lie. And then we start learning to live life on life’s terms: not to run, not to escape, but instead, we live our days, feel our feelings, and walk our path, sober, and clear.

You have that power. You are human, like every one of us here. Every human is capable of living life sober, of feeing emotions up and down, and walking their path sober - and it is really a beautiful thing. Is it always rainbows and unicorns? No. But it is rich, deep, sober, and clear, and it is yours.

You’re a good person Mary and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self. Welcome to Talking Sober! Looking forward to seeing you around :innocent:

1 Like

I have just started my journey for what seems like the millionth time on sunday, but joining this group this week has put motivation in me to beat my addiction. Stay positive and great things will happen.

3 Likes