First day. I know the most important for me is to get a hobby, but what?

@Linda1 I suggest you read The Magical Art of Tidying Up by Marie Kobdo. She writes about finding joy in your home and possessions. I’m sure it’s been translated to other languages. It was written in Japanese:unicorn:

1 Like

I wasnt ready to tell people I was quitting either which is why I was searching for an app like this but then for the first time ever I worked up the courage to say something and it felt soo good to say it outloud to just one person. I said I dont want to make drinking an issue I’m going to stop I realize I’ve made it an issue. It wasnt like a confession saying there was something horribly wrong with me, just that I was aware of it and I’m working on it. It really was a sense of relief somehow. I’ve had a similar pattern to yours the only difference is I’ve gotten out of control when I’m stressed. I had the issue 6 years ago during a horrible horrific time in my life and so I was able to recognize me getting out of hand within a span of 3 month’s. So I decided for the first time ever to have some actual will power. I’m only just now on day 5 but for me that’s amazing right now! Since we’re both getting started feel free to message me anytime if you need some one to talk to. And btw my house needed renovations too and I kept thinking while I was drinking I’ll do it here in just a little while and then was too drunk to care. Not only that so much house work I was putting off and organizing. I have so much on my plate it was just easier to not think about it and that was a cool trick I learned long ago I could just get drunk and not deal with anything. Until of course the next morning and it’s all still there plus the stress of whatever you did while drinking…it wasnt helping anything as t all. I hope this helps. And I hope it’s not too hard for you to fight the urges I feel so much prouder of my self and so much healthier just after 5 days I know because of pregnancy how much better it gets. I just have to keep remembering that and I hope you will experience it too!

1 Like

Oh yea! And do NOT underestimate the power of hulu and Netflix lol! Every time incant stop thinking about wine I watch a show on my phone while I’m getting something done

1 Like

For sure! They are like family after a couple weeks. And add Spotify to that list so there is always ambiant noise in the house lol :smile:

1 Like

Lol! like family, well now that you put it like that you’re right! I never ever just sit and watch tv but I always have my hulu and Netflix to keep me company while I’m busy. And hey they’re actually cheaper than some other family members!

2 Likes

I appreciate it’s not for everyone but I love yoga. I follow Yoga With Adriene on YouTube and get along to a class on a weekly ish basis.

For social stuff there is a website called Meetup.com if you’re not on it already, although I struggle to find dates and times that work for me. The other thing is to check out what volunteering you could do near you, it’s a good way of meeting people and helping people or a cause you care about might help keep you interested.

Here’s a bit of what other people round here get up to:

1 Like

My hobby in early sobriety was attending AA meetings and building a sober support network. From there I was able to find hobbies that I really enjoy. However, without AA and working on my disease all the hobbies in the world would not keep me sober. Hobbies are merely a diversion if you don’t work on your sobriety. And although hobbies are great, they aren’t recovery.

1 Like

sure, crochet all you want, or do some weird

lumpy knitting…

4 Likes

Yes, i really recognize your story. No, no urges yet. I guess they will come after a few days, when it has passed the normal amount of days which usually passes between my drinking! So right now I haven’t met any obstacles, but they will come. So it’s important then to remember what bad things even a single night drinking always leads to. I have set an image of my future self in my head that I want to strive to be. Organized, fresh, sane and not tired looking 10 years older than my age. And drinking will keep me from that. Drinking even one night can cause me to ruin relationships like for example with a new date or friend, it causes me to be exhausted for at least two days afterwards so I cancel what little social plans i might have made. Or the absolute worst… calling in sick for work. People might say my problem isn’t that bad because I dont drink every day, but that’s wrong. Even if I would drink only as rarely as two times a month, that’s still a very serious problem if those two times causes me to call in sick (two times a month is a pretty good way of losing your job!) or ruining a potential relationship with someone new because you’re scaring them away acting obnoxious. And mostly, work is absolutely everything, that’s what pays for food and home. Work is my biggest motivation. That’s how I am thinking right now, and will try to keep thinking. Seeing the image of how I want to be, and remembering the image that I absolutely dont want to be!

You’re on day 6 now. How do you feel? :blush:

Thank you! And you too can also write to me of course :blush:

We are all different, so of course different ways will work for all of us :blush:

It’s good preparing for shit, but don’t assume it will happen!

I’m trying to be positive, shit for me has already hit the fan, so something else happening is just like… “huh, what more now? Oh, it doesn’t matter. Things are already so bad” :rofl:

I now this seems crazy, but I actually mean that this is positive in a really weird way. I mean it has gotten so bad now economically that I have given up and stopped worrying, because I really cant fix it anyway right now. And when I stop worrying I let go of some anxiety that makes it easier to not drink… this probably doesn’t make any sense. But that’s how it feels. Everything seems easier now when I accept my bad situation and are choosing to not worry, I cant do anything anyway so. What will happen will happen :woman_shrugging:

I’ve been thinking of doing a 12-step program. But through the health care system via a therapist. I dont really want to take part of that god-thing. Sorry, no disrespect for you guys who do! It’s just I myself wouldn’t feel comfortable with that. Here in Sweden that’s really unfamiliar to us…

Yes. Either when stressed or bored. So what you need of course is peace of mind. The problem is getting there… especially when you’ve teached the brain that getting drunk is the only way to accomplish that… :confused:

@Mephistopheles can fill you in on how to AA without God. If most people in your area are agnostic or athiests I would imagine meetings are no different. Further, AA isn’t religious. It suggests a higher power of your understanding. Most athiests look to the people in the rooms as their higher power. Give it a try before you decide it’s not for you. Hitting a meeting may be the best decision you’ve ever made.

2 Likes

Yes. Netflix is my best friend actually. I’m not gonna be afraid of admitting that :rofl:

So cute :heart:

I didnt have a Christmas tree this year, so I did my best with what I had…

5 Likes

Oh, okay. I really thought it was a lot about god! Saying prayers and stuff. If it’s not, I’m definitely open to try! But how does it work when you have your job to prioritize? Do you have to follow a schedule going there? Because I have checked the days and times on aa groups near me/or near my work. And it seems it’s a bit hard to find time. If I only have time one day a week, can you come one day a week if you find a group with meetings that day?

1 Like

Hehe, it doesn’t matter if its Christian or some other God…

The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking. You can go as much or as little as you want. You can come late or leave early. It’s a completely voluntary program that works by one drunk helping another. You will find a great support network there. Everyone will be wanting to help you and they don’t judge you at all.

3 Likes

By the way, I’m off tomorrow and Thursday. So today and tomorrow would normally be my drinking days.

I made it home from work without buying any wine or beer. I spent the time commuting reading on this app and chatting with a friend. Then rewarded myself a kebab instead, when getting of the metro. And then a cab from there home.

Now I’m in my little cabin in the woods, 2 km from the nearest store and it’s cold, dark and snowy. No way I’m heading to the store now :yum:

Tomorrow I’m meeting my mother to go to the bank with her. She suggested that we should eat and have a beer after the bank. I told her I couldn’t drink because of my long walk home from the metro, and she immediately agreed. I think she understood that I’m trying not to drink even if i haven’t told her yet! So I’m pretty sure she wont suggest it again tomorrow. I’m gonna suggest anyway before she gets a chance, that we go to a cafeteria or just look at interesting stuff at the mall. I have also already decided to meet up a friend afterwards who never drinks on workdays, just in case she suggests having a beer anyway. Then I will have a definite reason to say no, because I have more plans that day.

@Englishd

Thank you! Yes, it would of course be so nice and inspiring to talk to people who now what it’s like. Right now I feel no desire talking to people who don’t!

1 Like