First day of pursuing a better and sober life I’m excited and nervous

Hi my name is Gabe I’m a functioning alcoholic and have been drinking every single day for the past two years with a day off here and there but that was very rarely. I’m only 27, I have a 1 year old and a fiancé that could probably love me more if I loved myself just as much. I’m taking these steps to get better my biggest vice is getting out of work late and craving a late night drink. I hope I can kick that craving soon, stoked to be with y’all good luck to everyone

13 Likes

Welcome, Gabe! So glad you found this site. Read around the various threads, there is a lot here to explore. You will find support, advice, inspiration, and no judgement. See what resonates for you!
Wishing you well on your journey!

1 Like

Thank you so much I will search around I appreciate you!

Welcome! The rest of your life awaits you! What can you plan to get you through the danger time of after work? My danger time (to start drinking) was the train ride home, so I kept my mouth and hands busy with mints/na drinks, a phone full of apps, so that by the time I got home I was still sober and going out to get booze wasn’t as appealing.

1 Like

Thank you I’m excited to be here!

1 Like

I plan on definitely avoiding alcohol tonight after work by replacing my cravings with some sort of soda water or mineral water… something about the fizz I think will help me curb the craving. I used to be heavy into soda when I was in high school I kicked the craving with flavored sparkling waters so I hope I can use that to my advantage! The other thing for me is coming home from work to unwind cause I’ll be up for majority of the night (I work evenings and get home at 12am) so I think sitting there might cause some irritation cause that was my safe spot to drink but I have my two dogs, good shows to watch, friends and everyone on this app! I know I can do it! (:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Gabe. So excited for your 1st day into pursuing a better sober life!

We are unable to do this journey alone. Grateful that you found us - what a lovely supportive bunch of folks here with similar struggles.

Smart to have soda and mineral water at home as replacement beverages. I would also try to keep yourself busy so that you aren’t able to think about the urges.

If you can’t get to a meeting - possibly check out some on line meetings.

A few of my favorite threads here are:
Checking in daily to maintain focus #58
and
Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #5

Practicing gratitude daily has been a wonderful new practice that really has helped me stay sober.

Wishing you luck on this journey!

2 Likes

Thank you so much Jazzy! I’m ready to take my life back! I will check these threads out tonight! I will also try and find some other distractions too! I am a touring music and absolutely love guitar… but alcohol has consumed a lot of my time and motivation to keep working out my skills when it comes to being a better guitarist. I’m gonna pick up my guitar tonight every time I feel an urge or a thought. I appreciate you and everyone here!

2 Likes

Welcome to an awesome sober community @Gabemascorro. This place and AA were what helped me to get sober after 20 years of problem drinking. I too was a functional alcoholic until i wasnt. Read around lots! There are serious threads. There are fun threads. Of course meme threads which come in handy when cravings hit.

The first week of actually breaking the habit was the toughest for me. If you find you are craving after work try to switch up your routine alittle…

We are here with you. Fight on!

1 Like

Picking up the guitar is a great idea… you will find that being sober frees up some of your time… More time to play with the baby, hang out with your fiance, and play the guitar.

2 Likes

Love this! Here is to a new you and a new life for you. Your child will only know the sober you! We got your back here. :people_hugging:

1 Like

You sure can :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hi, welcome! :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

That brought a tear to my eye thank you Jazzy! I have all of you guys backs too!

1 Like

I agree thank you so much! I can’t wait to begin a fresh journey

I will keep fighting I appreciate you thank you!

1 Like

Welcome ! You are in the right place.

1 Like

It’s good to quick while you are young.

1 Like