First post; attempting to stop drinking

Well as the title states, I’m attempting to stop drinking. I’m 31 and alcohol has been in my life since high school. I reached this decision after this weekend where a couple buddies and I went kinda hard for 2 days and at the end I just didn’t feel happy or good or any positive vibes from it. So I had what I thought was going to be an uncomfortable talk with my girlfriend asking if she wanted to go sober with me, she was actually very open to the idea and gladly accepted to join me. So I’m currently feeling the physical ramifications of my weekends actions but I’m very hopeful this is the last time I’ll have to feel this. Thanks for reading, hope you all are well, we’re in it together!!

15 Likes

if you asked her and she didn’t come to the decision on her own, don’t have high expectations she’s going to keep with it. take care of yourself and stay focused on sobriety. i definitely recommend meetings!

4 Likes

Yeah from what I’ve read it seems meetings are very productive, thank you!

3 Likes

Welcome! This place saved my life. Be active, it will help.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, it seems like a great place

2 Likes

Hi welcome to the community, it’s great you have joined us.

There is an online zoom meeting this on 24 hours a day and night the code is:

You can join with your camera and audio off no one will even know you are there, and there are lots of people who share there story for 5 minutes each and it is very powerful to listen to and keep sober.

It’s great you have the support of your girlfriend, great you both want to work st it as a team, and it can and has been done, you both have to want it and it and also be mindfull that only you can keep you sober and only she can keep her sober but together you can guide and support each other if it gets tough.

The community here is great so keep reaching out, especially if it gets tough, pop on here let us know and you will have so much support. Take a good read around the site too, so much to read of others experience and the support received.
Glad you found us here.

3 Likes

Thank you very much! This has already been a very positive experience and I can tell there’s good, caring people here. I appreciate you reaching out!

2 Likes

Thank you for reaching out, and that’s good to hear that you’re able to continue your sobriety while your wife can still enjoy what she wants. I didn’t think about that situation but you’re right, even if that happens I gotta stay focused on my sobriety. Thanks again!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it’s helped! Thank you very much!

1 Like

Welcome Alex.
This is a great sober community to give and get support. Battling addiction of any kind is too hard to do it alone. It’s great if you got your girlfriends support.
Have a good read around.
Join in when your comfortable.

Here are two good threads to start:

3 Likes

Thank you for leaving those links for me, I very much appreciate it!

3 Likes