First post for me

Welcome, Tina! The first step is the hardest and no lie, the first days really can suck. There are ways to lessen the pain, stress and anxiety of not drinking.

I like Recovery Darhma meetings. The meditations and shares help me stay even. Next is the Quit Lit. Read everything possible; here, books blogs. A meeting of any kind can help you stay grounded. Thanks to Covid, you can pop in anonymously to any type of meeting, any time of day.

Your thoughts can be (usually are) the worst enemy. Make a list of things to do when the monkeys when your brain start throwing down.

So glad you’re here. I hope you’ll stay.

1 Like

Great to have you on here. Well done for sharing.

I feel silly asking, but how do you find meetings? I know they would be helpful for me. I just don’t know where to go.

It’s not silly to ask for help! I just tested it out. Go to Google and type in “aa” followed by your county and state. They will be a good place to start. If AA isn’t your thing, you can try “recovery dharma” or “smart recovery”

Remember, we all started somewhere, we all needed a question or two answered at first. It’s scary, but you aren’t alone. Keep asking questions, someone has had the exact same question before and someone can help you make some sense of it and maybe even provide an answer, I promise.

2 Likes

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQmuN3eHggYoR9maoLttce3MkZLTZ0UTByIv_lKK7MbXEElHMBCwD_HX8aP3d1Tcp-J7TihbPgatLWL/pubhtml?gid=1870057131&single=true

www.buddhistrecovery.org

:slight_smile:

The first is a list of all Recovery Dharma meetings. The Buddhist Recovery link has anything related to Buddhist principles. ITRs is primarily AA related meetings, but also has other communities. SMART is more scientific or CBT based.

Get on a screen, or in a room. :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

You guys are awesome! Thank you!

3 Likes

Welcome. I hope you’re able to get what you need from this forum. Please check in here every day. Even if you’re still getting yourself together, I think it will be useful. So many people here want you to succeed and will be happy to give advice and support if you reach out. You probably already know this but we have a thread where you can check in every day if you need/want.

Happy to listen. Thanks for sharing, Keep sharing.

Welcome to the community :black_heart:

I’m new here. Checking in. Haven’t even completed my first day. Here I go…

4 Likes

Welcome to the group :pray:

Everything comes with time, i just made it to my 1 year and it took a solid 6-7 months for my brain to be clear. First couple months are rough, worth it in the end.

1 Like

You are making the steps to get better. I’ve been fighting this since I was 16. Its still a battle today at 56. Keep at it and find what works!

Hi my name is Kip I am one day sober 2dys at midnight I am a bit nervous as this the first group I have joined so all new to me

2 Likes

Welcome, Tina! Tons of support and inspiration here, we’ve all got your back! Congratulations on your decision and keep staying strong!

Welcome to the club, Tina and you too, @Kip! Writing here on the forum keeps me accountable and the info and support is amazing. Do your research and talk to your partner. Do ask for help if you need it! Hope to see you both around here :hugs:

1 Like

Hi Naomi thankyou for getting back to me I don’t have a partner I live on my own I feel a bit better because I have read a lot of positive stuff :blush:

2 Likes

Welcome Tina! You are in a great place here at TS. There’s SO MANY great people here and a wealth of information to help you on your journey. There are NO dumb questions and nothing you ask is silly. Glad you choose to be a part of our community, I hope you stick with it. The gift of sobriety is the BEST gift you can give yourself and your family. I wish you continued luck on your journey.

This was very helpful and exactly what I needed to read today. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. I was in that exact same place almost 10 months ago. You have to decide to start and just keep going. Write down a list of your reasons why you want to stop. Check in here with us. There is a lot of support and resources available. You can do this. You can break the pattern of addiction. Trust me. :muscle:t3::heart:

2 Likes