First post, new to the forum

This is my first post here. I’ve made it one full week without alcohol. Aside from my 2 pregnancies and 3 weeks in January, 2016, I don’t remember the last time since I was alcohol free for this long. I do not want to get into the mindset that I’m okay and so it’s okay to start drinking again. I’ve been down that rabbit hole before. Thankful for this forum to read your inspirational posts :heart:

20 Likes

Welcome!! A week is a great start!! Sounds like you have been working toward sobriety for awhile now. Glad you found the forum!

1 Like

Good for you Meg! A week is a great start. Welcome to Talking Sober - looking forward to seeing you around!

1 Like

Hi and welcome. First off, im proud that you were sober during your pregnancies. I’m also proud that you’ve decided to get sober, also proud that you’ve made it through the first week which is the hardest one.
I highly recommend checking in daily to maintain focus in the checking in daily to maintain focus thread

I also recommend finding something to do at the times you usually drink, for example running, cycling, reading, drawing, crafts, meditation/mindfullness.
Also reading on this forum a lot is very useful.
Hope this helps, good luck, you’ve got this :smiley:

1 Like

I was also only sober during my 2 pregnancies. We have a lot in common. I’ve been trying to channel what I used to do when I was pregnant to get my mind off it. It was honestly much easier when I was pregnant to stop drinking only because I knew it was wrong. I’m trying to remember that feeling and to be kind to myself like I am to my sons. I’m not saving much money yet but whatever I would have spent on alcohol I’m spending it on painting supplies and reading old self help books that I never finished. It has not been easy though and I find myself easily frustrated or just not interested in anyyything. I hope you’re doing well though and find some peace today.

3 Likes

Welcome!! Such great support here. I look forward to your posts :slight_smile:

Welcome! I’m on day 15, and it’s largely due to the fine people here. This place is a wealth of support.

3 Likes

Welcome!! Tons of resources and Support here. :blush:

Welcome. One week is awesome! This is the first week of the rest of your life.

Like all the others said, welcome aboard. Pretty good place to help maintain sobriety. Lots of folks, from lots of walks of life.

Glad to have you.

Yep, only sober when pregnant or bf-ing, and tbh when my daughter was not really feeding anymore just comforting herself, I did start drinking a bit again. Which begs the question if we can be sober for a foetus, why not for ourselves?

Ditto on just being sober during my two pregnancies. I’m on day 12 now and this place has given nothing but support every time I needed it… and without judgement. ALWAYS reach out, we will be here for you!

Hi Meg and welcome to this suportive community! 🙋
Congratulations with your first week sober! :confetti_ball: That’s a great start!
My tip for your sobriaty?
Think over what to do when cravings kick in.
Be prepared and have a plan.
67c7034681a691ac3638570bafac2519
If you use the search bar above and type in sober plan you will find multiple examples of them.
See you around! :heart: