First sober party šŸ™ˆ

This is great advice - I imagine it gets a hell of a lot easier after that first drink. Iā€™ll focus on getting over that ā€œfuck it, Iā€™ll just have oneā€ mentality (we all know what happens from there) and get over that first bit.

5 Likes

Itā€™s where the battle is actually won or lost. Say ā€œnoā€ to the first drink, and you win, 100%. Say yes, and itā€™s generally downhill from there.

5 Likes

You will more than likely have a great time. But if you donā€™t, just leave! You donā€™t have to stay if you donā€™t want to. Being prepared to leave early was important to me when I did my first party sober. I didnā€™t have to but knowing that I could if I wanted to really helped.

In my experience @Dejavu is spot on. No one cares! If you are having fun and they are having fun, it is unlikely to come up. I guess the thing is, no one else cares about how much we drink as much as we do. I think thatā€™s a feature of the alcoholic brain.

If it does come up, well drunk people are fairly easy to change the conversation on. Most people like talking about themselves after a few so a simple ā€˜no thanksā€™ or ā€˜I just donā€™t feel like itā€™, followed by a question about them should be enough to keep things moving :blush:

You may also be surprised at the number of people there who drink less than you expect. I didnā€™t realise how much more than most people I was drinking until I stopped.

You will connect with people in a new way, you will remember all the conversations and you can still dance sober. Plus no fights, no wondering what stupid shit you said and no hangovers. Sounds exciting :grin:

5 Likes

Oh and congratulations on the engagement! Lovely news :blush:

2 Likes

Tipsā€¦

1. would you like a drink? Yes I would love a water I am so thirsty.

2. I am on antibioticsā€¦ (lie until you feel secure enough to talk about why you arenā€™t drinking.

3. let the gossiping begin about your phantom pregnancy

3 Likes

I think it depends on where you are in your sobriety. Early on it was a concern for me, 1 due to temptation, and 2 due to feeling self conscious about not being like everyone else. I am now at a point where I actually sat with a friend at a bar, and ordered, a non alcoholic drink, and was able to just enjoy the moment. I also now have no trouble just saying " I donā€™t drink", with no need to explain further.
Earlier on, at events that I could not avoid, I would hold a cup so when pushy people offered a drink, I could say I had one. I would also use that cup to throw shots in that people would insist on me taking. People are too drink to notice what youā€™re doing unless you bring attention to it.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the fab tips - I probably will have a great time (just nerves getting the better of me.!).

Itā€™s a good point about people drinking less then I expect. Youā€™re right. In my head, everyone will get trashed because thatā€™s what Iā€™d usually do, but itā€™s a family event and Iā€™m certain people wonā€™t be struggling around throwing up outsideā€¦ Not I come to think of it! X

2 Likes

And thanks :grin::grin::heart:

1 Like

I think itā€™s totally normal to be nervous the first time you have to deal with something like this sober, I know I was!

The fact that youā€™re thinking about it is a good thing, it means you can go prepared :grin:

2 Likes

Just say your on antibiotics

3 Likes

Just remember: No. Is a complete sentence. You shouldnā€™t have to explain yourself to anyone. If they keep insisting that you drink you can always ask. ā€œSure Iā€™ll take a beer, but first, would you like some heroin?ā€

5 Likes

This is so true. Iā€™ve finally realized I can just say ā€œnoā€. I donā€™t need to give reasons or excuses if I donā€™t want to. A colleague asked me yesterday if I was going to celebrate my 90 days with a blackout bender. Wtf? You canā€™t fix stupid sometimes.

4 Likes

In that case I think ā€œfuck youā€ is also a complete sentence.

Side note: one my one year I publicly (Facebook) opened up about my addiction. I received numerous calls from old friends to wish me well. One guy made a point to tell me that next time Iā€™m back in Pittsburgh that they are all willing to do sober things so I can be included. They are fairly big drinkers, but not of the alcoholic variety. For me transparency was the best method.

3 Likes

Haha :joy: very good, although if I say ā€œfuck youā€ to my fiances mum, might cause me a bit of trouble :joy:

But totally, transparency is key. I donā€™t wanna lie about stuff, but I donā€™t wanna go into ā€œIā€™m an alcoholicā€ eitherā€¦ Iā€™ll probably just say Iā€™ve quit ā€œfor a whileā€. Avoid prodding.

Plus, your friends sound amazing x

1 Like

@TeamMeyer hereā€™s another one

1 Like

I went to my first party sober on Friday and I found literally no one noticed! I didnā€™t even have to say anything, I just kept topping up my glass with apple juice. People kept offering to top me up with prosecco and I just kept saying I already had one - it saves the awkward conversations people seem to want when you say youā€™re not drinking! Hope you have a lovely time at the party and congratulations on your engagement :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Another thing I did was fully immerse myself in sober benefits articles and YouTube videos before the party. I wanted to make sure my mindset was fully there so that I wouldnā€™t be tempted at all, i literally lay in bed every night watching videos about how great sobriety is :heart:

5 Likes

I canā€™ t add anything to all the amazinh advicesā€¦ but isnā€™ t it SO SAD that alcohol is the only drug that you need to justify to others that you donā€™t take it!!
This annoyes me so much!
We are brainwashed!
Smoke a joint at the party and everybody will look horrified. Put a line of coke on the table and you get kicked out!.
But if you don" t fill your body with glasses of poisson you are the outcast. Im on antibiotics, im drivingā€¦ i personally think every time you lie about your wonderfull brave sobriety your unconsious mind takes not its a negative thing.
I would not explain ( no thanks!) Or say i like my mornings nice and energetic :wink:
No one will notice, which is actually a shame!
Go have fun and you will still look amazing in that train back Ɣnd you will have a big smile the next morning. X

5 Likes

I completely agree, itā€™s crazy we have to justify our healthy life choices! So true, you feel so much better on your way home with lovely memories of the eveningsā€¦ Rather than the previous me having to be bundled into a taxi and not knowing how I got home so freaking out all day the next day!

2 Likes

totally agree

1 Like