First sober party šŸ™ˆ

17 days today - pretty good run! Iā€™m feeling OK, bit blue today, but solid in my belief that sobriety is the way forward.

ANYWAY, I have my first sober party this Saturday. I canā€™t get out of it - itā€™s my fianceā€™s aunts birthday and sheā€™s hired a place in London and the whole family is going. Heā€™s post cancer and weā€™ve just got engaged, so everyoneā€™s expecting us to be there.

So, without canceling, what are your top tips for surviving this evening sober?

We have to get the 12 midnight train home, which means we have to leave beforehand. His family are BIG drinkers. I feel like I CAN do this - but Iā€™m pretty sure everyone is going to take me not drinking as ā€œshes pregnantā€ :joy:

4 Likes

Ah the first party of sobriety. From my experience and anecdotes from many others whoā€™ve been there before, donā€™t sweat it.

1. No one notices
  2. No one cares

Should someone offer a drink, simply say No thanks, Iā€™m good. Or ask for a soda water or other non-alcoholic drink.

If someone asks if youā€™re not drinking, and you arenā€™t comfortable with saying youā€™ve quit, simply say Iā€™m not drinking right now.

If Iā€™m wrong, and there are others pressuring you, have an escape plan. Run to the restroom for a while, find a relative who wont pressure you and have a conversation for as long as you can, go for a walk outside or find a place to be alone a bit.

But no matter what, remember only you can make you drink, and itā€™s ok not to drink. And finally, donā€™t worry about it, youā€™ll be fine!

16 Likes

I was the ā€œbest womanā€ in my BFFā€™s wedding when I was around 60 days sober. It was hard. This is what helped me.

I let him know prior to the wedding weekend that I had stopped drinking.

My husband was with me, and he was a big cheerleader.

I made sure to have a glass of something in my hand at all times. Perrier, club soda, etc.

I had the numbers of several sober friends to call during the reception. When I failed to reach them, I reached out for help here on the forum. The lovely folks here talked me through.

I walked outside several times for a break. Took some time to refocus.

If you find yourself about to drink - pause for a moment. Play the tape through to the end. What is likely to happen if you take that first sip? Will you stop? Will you keep on drinking? Say and do things you regret? Take attention away from the wedding? Be sick and filled with regret the next morning? It just never works out well for folks like us.:pensive:

At one point, someone put a glass of champagne in my hand and starts yelling, ā€œToast time!ā€ I had a moment of panic. I just gave my toast, raised my glass, walked over and hugged my friend, and casually put the glass on a table behind him. No one even noticed.

Iā€™m glad you have an exit strategy. Donā€™t hesitate to reach out for help during the event. Weddings are really tough in the very early days. Having said that, you can absolutely do this. Remember - in the words of my buddy @englishd - ā€œWe donā€™t drink, no matter what.ā€:heart:ļø

14 Likes

This is all amazing advice!!

For me, having always having a non alcoholic drink in my hand is key - a pint of soda water with lime is how I roll!

5 Likes

You have a migraine, on meds you canā€™t drink with, or order a virgin drink all night that has garnish and looks like the real thing. Tbh less people may care that youā€™re not drinking than you are anticipating.

7 Likes

Totally have a non-alc drink in hand at all times. Garnish the f*ck out of it with cherries and limes and punch. Everyone will think youā€™re drinking with them, just not acting a fool like alcohol will. Iā€™ve struggled with this in my new sobriety but just the feeling of a glass in hand mentally makes me feel off edge, but Iā€™m happy not leaving with stupor and eventual hangover. Big events like that, no one really cares what youā€™re drinking as long as you appear to be having fun.

5 Likes

Amazing advice, thank you for taking time to share it. ā€œNo one notices, no one caresā€ will be my mantra! :heart:

6 Likes

Love this - so much helpful advice. Thank you for sharing!

I especially love ā€œplay the tape through to the endā€. I THINK Iā€™m the life and soul of a party when Iā€™m drunk, but Iā€™m not. Iā€™m loud, obnoxious, rude and sloppy. I ALWAYS end the night fighting with my other half (sometimes violently).

Iā€™ll keep all this in mind x

6 Likes

All you have to do is say ā€œnoā€ to the only drink that mattersā€¦the first drink. Just keep saying ā€œnoā€ to the first, and there canā€™t be a second, or third, or fifth.

10 Likes

I love this mantra so much :two_hearts:

5 Likes

This is great advice - I imagine it gets a hell of a lot easier after that first drink. Iā€™ll focus on getting over that ā€œfuck it, Iā€™ll just have oneā€ mentality (we all know what happens from there) and get over that first bit.

5 Likes

Itā€™s where the battle is actually won or lost. Say ā€œnoā€ to the first drink, and you win, 100%. Say yes, and itā€™s generally downhill from there.

5 Likes

You will more than likely have a great time. But if you donā€™t, just leave! You donā€™t have to stay if you donā€™t want to. Being prepared to leave early was important to me when I did my first party sober. I didnā€™t have to but knowing that I could if I wanted to really helped.

In my experience @Dejavu is spot on. No one cares! If you are having fun and they are having fun, it is unlikely to come up. I guess the thing is, no one else cares about how much we drink as much as we do. I think thatā€™s a feature of the alcoholic brain.

If it does come up, well drunk people are fairly easy to change the conversation on. Most people like talking about themselves after a few so a simple ā€˜no thanksā€™ or ā€˜I just donā€™t feel like itā€™, followed by a question about them should be enough to keep things moving :blush:

You may also be surprised at the number of people there who drink less than you expect. I didnā€™t realise how much more than most people I was drinking until I stopped.

You will connect with people in a new way, you will remember all the conversations and you can still dance sober. Plus no fights, no wondering what stupid shit you said and no hangovers. Sounds exciting :grin:

5 Likes

Oh and congratulations on the engagement! Lovely news :blush:

2 Likes

Tipsā€¦

1. would you like a drink? Yes I would love a water I am so thirsty.

2. I am on antibioticsā€¦ (lie until you feel secure enough to talk about why you arenā€™t drinking.

3. let the gossiping begin about your phantom pregnancy

3 Likes

I think it depends on where you are in your sobriety. Early on it was a concern for me, 1 due to temptation, and 2 due to feeling self conscious about not being like everyone else. I am now at a point where I actually sat with a friend at a bar, and ordered, a non alcoholic drink, and was able to just enjoy the moment. I also now have no trouble just saying " I donā€™t drink", with no need to explain further.
Earlier on, at events that I could not avoid, I would hold a cup so when pushy people offered a drink, I could say I had one. I would also use that cup to throw shots in that people would insist on me taking. People are too drink to notice what youā€™re doing unless you bring attention to it.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the fab tips - I probably will have a great time (just nerves getting the better of me.!).

Itā€™s a good point about people drinking less then I expect. Youā€™re right. In my head, everyone will get trashed because thatā€™s what Iā€™d usually do, but itā€™s a family event and Iā€™m certain people wonā€™t be struggling around throwing up outsideā€¦ Not I come to think of it! X

2 Likes

And thanks :grin::grin::heart:

1 Like

I think itā€™s totally normal to be nervous the first time you have to deal with something like this sober, I know I was!

The fact that youā€™re thinking about it is a good thing, it means you can go prepared :grin:

2 Likes

Just say your on antibiotics

3 Likes