First step now what

Well today I woke up and made the choice that I want to be sober. I have been drinking everyday to the point where I am blacking out. I am a mom and want more. I contacted my doctor have an appointment but I don’t really know where to go from here. Any advice or tips? Are there sponsors?

10 Likes

Welcome TX
This has been a great place for support in my sobriety. I’m glad you found us. Great first step today. Have a good read around and join in when your comfortable. Lots of nice helpful people here.

Here are two good threads to start:

4 Likes

Hey, welcome!

One thing you can do, if you’re up for it, is find a meeting (AA) near you, Google “AA meetings near me”. Chances are there are a few near by. That is where you can find a sponsor to help navigate through the 12 steps.

Also, here’s a great collection of threads that are geared towards the newcomer. Spend some time reading through those, lots of good information there!

6 Likes

That first step is a big one, and I’m very excited for you.

Only advice is to be honest, with yourself and others. Now is a good time to write down how you’re feeling. I know I felt hopeless and exhausted to put it mildly. But also where you hope you might go from here, sober.

The doctor is a really good start for help. Sponsorship is something you find in a twelve step program like AA. I do that too and found it helped a lot. You could start that anytime by checking out a meeting if you want.

Surely the doctor will also point you towards resources for recovery. And this forum as well if you wanna stick around and share in the journey!

This is also a great thread, if you want a place to check in daily about how you’re feeling, and hear from others on their path as well!

4 Likes

Welcome! I hope you find this forum as helpful as I have. Here’s a link that’s worth checking out.

2 Likes

Try a meeting they will help wish you well

1 Like

Welcome! Coming here saved my life. Research recovery groups…joining one will help tremendously

First 3 days sober . I’m thankful for my father who has been 10 years sober to help me on this journey.

1 Like

Welcome! I’m glad ur here and reaching out :slight_smile: this forum is amazing! It’s been a huge help for me! Hope u get alot out of it also!

I’m on my 3rd day , I wanted to drink to night ! So I Jumped on here and got some good advice :blue_heart: the cravings won’t kill you but alcohol can , Good luck fingers crossed we all find our way to were we want to be

1 Like

I am also a mom and starting my journey today. Maybe we can help each other. My challenge is not knowing when to stop and blacking out. I had a bad experience last night and today woke up very embarrassed and depressed. Have to change for myself and kids.

2 Likes