First time, day one

So never thought I’d be here but why not. I’m 22 going on 23 and I’m pretty sure I have a problem with drinking. I don’t like the idea of drinking and driving so when I drink I do it at home. I have a good time I don’t beat on my spouse or anything but I just have a problem stopping. Drink till I get drunk kind of thing. Usually I’ll have 2 or 3 and it isn’t an issue. But my spouse said that she’s seeing this alot more often and today when she talked to me this morning about it, it really just hit. So I figured why not reach out or get some insight. I’m starting today to at least stay sober for 30 days. I just want to be healthy and have a healthy relationship ship without trying to cloud my mind with substance. I do have a hard time coping with things but I really want to try and be happy and be a good person. This is odd for me because I don’t usually put myself out there let alone to strangers. But what the heck, anyone have anything for me?

6 Likes

Hey man. You are defo in the right place. I’m off to work right now so I don’t have much time but I’ll post on here again later. I’ll just tell you there is great support here. And there’s a search bar top right of screen that you can type just about anything in to and find post about it. A 30 day goal is a great start. But most important is to stay sober one day at a time!

Talk soon

2 Likes

Step one is sometimes the hardest, great job! 30 days is a great goal, that’s where I am now. Tomorrow at 31 days will be the longest I’ve gone without a drink in probably 20 years. For me, I still don’t feel personally like I’m ready to break the cycle. If I get back into drinking now, it will turn right back into what it was-starting out with weekends and creeping up into weekdays again. Before I quit totally, I was back down to weekends only but even that was too much. It effected our relationship, our family and our entire life still. So, I’m just in it for one day at a time and keep going! I have also discovered a lot about my triggers and I have paid good attention to them to know where I still need to work on healing myself. I’ve rediscovered a great zest for life and truly living it again. I feel so great I’m going beyond my normal 30 and am keeping it up! :slight_smile: Welcome aboard!

3 Likes

I like that your spouse came to you to discuss it bothering her and that you are open to seeing where this journey takes you…
Bravo to you both!

Drinking and alcoholism is a progressive thing. It starts out all okay, a few drinks here or there, then a few every day or too many over the weekends, next thing some of us know years have gone by and we have a full blown serious issue. Taking control of your life and drinking early is so smart.

There are lots of helpful threads and info on here to assist in your journey. This can be a good start…

Frequently Asked Questions:

3 Likes

I’m worried about falling back into it. I mean I’ve done 3 days here and there have a couple and then go another few days. Ignoring my problem with the excuse of I’m young all my friends are in college I deserve a drink or two… or three or 8 and then I wake up disappointed I guess because I know I have responsibilities. Then I say okay enough is enough but then it happens again and again until I’m here. This time is the first time I’ve actually tried seeking help tho. Still feels somewhat odd but it’s just hard to stay focused. Especially in such a stressful society

3 Likes

I can completely agree this is how I feel
I have just completed my day one but I am pretty much like let’s have a drink at the weekend and the before you know it I am drinking every other day
I know my triggers also if I get bored I drink
So I am on the path of getting the heather happier me back xxx

Stay with it lady! :heart: I ultimately decided after some sober time that I didn’t have one single good or honest reason to pick up a drink again. It was my addiction talking saying that I could-like a bad ex-boyfriend saying, “baby, come back, it’ll be different this time” but it never really is, it actually just gets worse. Most reasons I had for drinking were excuses I made up in my own mind and honestly…my best thinking is how I became an alcoholic. It didn’t make the pain stop, it stopped me from healing. I wasn’t happy drinking, it just numbed the pain of the life I allowed for myself. It wasn’t a reason to celebrate, drinking poison is not the best way to do that turns out lol. It wasn’t a true stress reliever or good coping mechanism for life either. I had a gazillion reasons to not pick up again when I played the tape forward of what bad comes from it and I had to remember often why I quit.

Today is day 806 and I can’t even begin to tell you how many wonderful ways my life has changed! Nothing changes if nothing changes though so stay with it. You are worthy of all the incredible things a sober life can lead to! Just doing whatever it takes to end the day sober each day made all the difference in the world for me. :heart: Good luck doll, I’m rooting for you!

3 Likes

The best thing you could have done is have the courage to post here. It’s scary admitting our problem. I’ve spent 10+ years trying to be a “normal” drinker. I’d tell myself I’d only have two (which turned into six), I’d tell myself I’d only drink at home (until I was out), I’d tell myself all kinds of things I couldn’t stick to and then be disappointed in myself. I know now that I was allowing my alcoholism to run my life. The only thing I have control over is whether I pick up the first drink. That’s the key - don’t pick up. Your wife sounds supportive, so appreciate and leverage that! I’m 94 days in and I’ve never felt better. I’m glad you’re here.

I just realized this post is two years old. I’d love to hear how you’re doing now! :heart:

1 Like

Thank you
I am gonna stay sober work on each day week and month

1 Like

Hey!
So this is probably my 100th time saying I need to stop drinking. Usually the day after drinking heavily I get the anxiety…the oh shit I did it again and the regret. That moment I swear alcohol off for good, but then those feelings fade and I am like I can socially drink…I just have to cut my drinking down a bit ect
I make every excuse in the book but deep down I know I need to stop

1 Like

Hello MurrCA and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like your motivation is high right now. Here’s a couple of threads to peruse that can help you get started on the path to sobriety.

Blessings on your house as you begin your journey. :pray:

1 Like