Foodies Unite #3 (trigger warning food) Let's TACO 'BOUT FOOD

It’s a Le Creuset square cast iron pan like in the pic. It’s ok, but think it’s too small. Every time I grill with it I wish it was a little bigger. I think you can get just the same quality for a lot less - but i didn’t buy this one, and wouldn’t in general pay that for cast iron.
I do recommend getting a silicon handle cover for cast iron pans to save your hand from accidental burns.

4 Likes

Beautiful, as always!

2 Likes

Inspired by your good self and @RosaCanDo the other week with your cottage cheese bowls :wink: perhaps not as much black pepper :grin:

The salad is a bit of a fridge clear out tbh, with sunflower seed rye bread, the really dense kind, like pumpernickel.

4 Likes

She’s just a pain :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I swear, I’m honestly really happy my green tomatoes have ripened so well in my basement! And I’m grateful I have the energy to do something with all this glorious fruit. The fruit flies are driving me bonkers, so time is of the essence.

10 Likes

Honestly, it was a little over for my tastes. I followed the sous vide temperature guide, but will definitely knock off 2°C next time and see how it goes. It a fine line of getting the fats to temp and keeping the meat nice and rare.
:+1:

Easier with very lean cuts, but the impressive marbling in a good rib-eye must be respected!
:wink:

1 Like

Some chilli i made the other night

11 Likes

For my 16 Oz ribeyes. I just do 5 min a side on highest heat, outdoor gas grill. I use to like to flip it 3 times to get nice grill marks but you don’t get a good grill mark leaving it on only 2 1/2 minutes.

I generally just cook over charcoal for the whole time, but it was easier and cleaner this time to sous vide as the steaks were already vac packed and i was busy with other things. Was able to set and forget for a while and then just a final flash in the grill pan and viola. Was very good, but could always be better. It was super tender, just missing that charcoal flavour.

1 Like

Never heard of this. Sounds European. Just googled it. Sounds like work. Bet it’s tasty though.

It’s super easy, and really hard to fuck up if the temps are correct. Damn near impossible to overcook as the temperatures are so precisely controlled. If you set it for 51.4°C it will stay there in the mark. Your internal temps never rise above, but neither do the external. So meats are cooked the same all the way through… Which is why you finish them with a hard heat at the end for literally a minute or so.
Worth checking out.
I don’t, and wouldn’t, use it for everything but it’s a neat change and we’ll suited to certain foods.

2 Likes

When I’m stressed I bake, so here is my vegan Banana Bread (this time with chocolate)

12 Likes

Oh wow! I love the banana slices!

2 Likes

I have fought the urge for two weeks, new bakery in my old stomping ground! i crumbled today and went for a nuttella cookie slice!!!

11 Likes

Butternut Squash Agnolotti
With mushroom Cream Sauce & Walnuts

11 Likes

That looks yummy! I say good job on waiting that long to try a treat.

2 Likes

These were 30oz each…
:astonished:

4 Likes

True story: When I saw this salad of yours the first thing that popped into my head was “This is Art”. That follows earlier today when I saw the resurrected ‘what’s your favorite art’ thread I thought “Hailstrom’s food” @Hailstrom

6 Likes

@AyBee I like your skills :ok_hand:t2:

@RosaCanDo You have some good looking tomatoes there, I bet they tast even better! :star_struck::drooling_face:

@Alisa I really like all of your healthy meals in this topic… It reminds me that I have to eat healthy too. Thank you :grin::+1::blue_heart:

5 Likes

That’s sweet, thank you. @ShadowFax
I do eat healthy. It’s just my preference and has been for most of my life.
Im basically no added sugar.
Only for the reason that it has too many calories and with certain things, most sugar, I can’t quit eating it. I can’t eat healthy honey because I’ll eat all of it. On occasion in controlled settings I will enjoy having sweets. On those occasions a reasonable portion is good for me. It sedates me some, makes me feel good. Chocolate bars are not a problem for me. It’s all around, I don’t eat it really at all, and should I, I wouldn’t eat all of it.
The forum has helped me a lot.

4 Likes