Forever is a scary word

I know the thought of never drinking again can be daunting. The anxiety of what will be missed. It is hard to think in absolute terms.

Try stringing together short term goals. Go for 30 days. After 30 days, go for 3 months. 6 months, 9 months, a year.

Gradually the mind and body will adapt, the mental process will change. Things that seemed daunting change. Forever becomes less of a scary word.

16 Likes

One day at a time also worked great for me, so far Iā€™ve strung together 345 that way! :heart:

11 Likes

Donā€™t drink this second, this minute, this hour, this day. On this day I wonā€™t drink. :grinning:

6 Likes

It helps knowing some friends that have quit for a long time. My one buddy is going on 13 years, he drank about a half gallon a day. One is 8, another 4. They post their days on Facebook or whatever, at their anniversaries, truly inspirational. Really helps too.

4 Likes

I remember at first i couldnt accept forever or never again. I did wanna fully detox before ever using again. So i did it finally and by the time i felt good 4 months in i had no desire to use anymore. I finally woke up daily feeling normal and not like i had the flu every single day like clock workā€¦ Just give it a chance and you may not find it appealing as beforeā€¦

9 Likes

I remember reading:
If a normal person is sick and has the flu, they go to Primecare or whatever and get looked at, get medicine.

If you drink, you wake up with cold/flu symptoms or when you try to quit for a day or days, week. A hangover can be closely related to a stomach virus or flu. How is that normal and considered normal by drinkers?

Shows the power of alcohol and the symptoms of alcoholism.

3 Likes

My only goal is to not drink today. I will worry about tomorrow when I wake up

11 Likes

Every time I thought of ā€œforeverā€ in the past I gave in. This time it is ā€œon day at a timeā€. Itā€™s hard. I still have the thoughts of ā€œMan, can I never have a drink again, ever?ā€ but now I recognize that thought and tell it straight out ā€œHey, lets just get through today and stop worrying about the futureā€. It brings great relief to not stress about the future.

9 Likes

Hard, scary, for some. Liberating for others. For me, the question has been settled. Turn my face in the direction I want to go, and start walking. No need to look back. I know whatā€™s behind me, which is why I choose to leave that place.

When Hernan Cortez arrived in the New World, he ordered the ships that brought he and his men from Spain, burned. He knew that as long as the ships were there, his men would never fully commit to the expedition. Once burned, his small army marched forward, defeated and conquered an empire.

Your DOC is that ship. Your addiction your adversary. A life worth living, your empire to conquer.

Burn your ship.

10 Likes

I LOVE this!! Thank you.

1 Like

Right Yoda-Stevie is. As Obi-Wan said, only in absolutes do the Sith deal.

1 Like

One day at a time. Days soon add up. Then youā€™ll be at something random like day 228 and not even think about, want or need a drink :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been following this philosophy for a few weeks now. I had a really off the wall dream where i became best friends with thanos after he killed my ex and a bunch of other really weird stuff but towards the end he said, ā€œwe do not write of the darkness.ā€ It was a very vivid dream and it really stuck with me. And since then iā€™ve just put all the darkness in my lige behind me including counting my days sober and Iā€™m so much happier and so much more sober.

2 Likes

It is nice when you are at the point where you donā€™t check your days, everyday. Not saying anything is wrong with it, some do, some donā€™t. Nice to go for lengths of time, preoccupied with life.

1 Like

When I was a few months sober, one week at my AA home group two people got medallions, both for two years. And I thought to myself, ā€œYes, itā€™s possible for me to go two years.ā€ I had ā€˜burned my shipā€™ on the day I got sober (thanks @Yoda-Stevie), but that night gave me peace of mind, let me know I could be comfortable on the march forward.

2 Likes

Keep it simple.

24 hours.

If thatā€™s too long break it into hours or minutes.
I would never look at more than 24 hours. Especially in early recovery.

3 Likes

Meā€¦ 22 hours and 33mins sober :pray:

4 Likes

One day at a time!

2 Likes

I definitely think one day at a time, especially in the beginning. My point is that it is good to have goals. It really helps to have milestones. In my Sober Time App it was nice to accomplish a time line goal.

I definitely burned my ship on day one, said never again and this is forever. But, I did it one second, minute, hour, day at a time. I kept the ā€œforeverā€ in the back of my mind, but my goal everyday was just to make it for whatever time frame I had to put it in. I hit 20 months yesterday. Still keep those month goals in mind. Although I have been hitting milestones without really realizing it.

Keeping goals is very important for me. Once I hit 2 years Iā€™m not sure it will still be as important as it still is, but I will always keep my options open to whatever feels right.

ā€œForeverā€ is a scary word, but, for me, itā€™s less scary than ā€œdead.ā€

5 Likes