Friday Thread #2

I just started Joe Pickett, it’s on paramount+ over here, set in Wyoming and I really like the main character.

I’m also excited for the Luther movie coming out on Netflix in February! Another one I liked was Innocent (UK) and Inside Man with Stanley Tucci was really good! I have so many…

1 Like

UK has many good detective shows, like George Gently, Vera, Shetland, Line of Duty, Bodyguard (w/ Richard Madden)…

1 Like

UK is my go to! But the other Europeans have some really good shows, too, if I can focus enough on subtitles! Makes cooking or knitting something more complicated while I watch more difficult…

I also like the miniseries setup over the long running shows. But I’ll take what I can get!

2 Likes

Some good Finnish Nordic noir (dunno where you could find them but anyway):
Border town, Dead wind, Ivalo

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Funny

I used to live in Wilkes-Barre and Schuylkill

They are pronounced Willks berry and school kill

Most Philadelphians can pronounce Schuylkill cause of the Schuylkill river running through Philly

And Tamaqua is where I got my first job as a paramedic

It’s pronounced Ta ma quah

2 Likes

Brin- mar
Sku- cull
Al-i-gany
Bala-kinwood

There’s a couple👍

2 Likes

Schuylkill is actually a Dutch name. Meaning hidden (schuil) river (killl, which is an obsolete word now, but there are some waterways left here that are named kill). Pretty sure nobody in Phillidelphia knows how to pronounce the schuyl part in the correct Dutch way. Sounds like trying to clear something awful from my throat to foreigners. What sound ‘ui’ is can’t be explained.

4 Likes

That’s awesome I never knew the origins of it

Your probably right as far as pronunciation, we pronounce it school - kill, some outsiders pronounce it skah kill,

But I’m imagining tne pronunciation now that you stated, and I’m like I’m gonna try and use it next time,

There’s a lot of Dutch population there and “Pennsylvania Dutch” but a lot of them don’t know Dutch words as they never took the time to learn from their ancestors

3 Likes

Washington has some interesting town names. We know who the denizens are by the way they pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, or Steilacoom. :smile:

1 Like

Ah, thanks for mentioning them! Perfect opportunity for me to do some mensplaining. The Pennsylvania Dutch aren’t actually Dutch. They’re Germans. In German Germany is Deutschland. And Germans call themselves Deutsch((e(r)).
I’m Dutch, but I’m Dutch only in English. I call myself a Nederlander. And I call the language I speak Nederlands.
Originally the word Dutch -Deutsch in German, Diets (‘Deetz’) in Dutch, Dutch in English- encompassed all German speaking people and the language they spoke. There was Lower German which was spoken in the Low Countries (The Neder from Nederland meaning Low), which evolved into modern Dutch, and High German that referred to the German spoken upstream the river Rhine.
Hochdeutsch is still used as term for the language spoken in Germany today, while Low German isn’t used anymore and replaced by Nederlands. The Dutch don’t want to know it, but actually we’re sort of Germans-on-the-bench so to speak. :nerd_face: :disguised_face: :exploding_head:

11 Likes

7 Likes

ir1FV4pWSmrXMfTNNY

7 Likes

@Planipennia

6 Likes

Has this week seemed extra long to anyone else??

4 Likes

Read your post second time…
It’s so funny and hard to explain :sweat_smile:

Lekker begin van het weekend :sunglasses:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Yeah Friday! Sober day 4 but it feels for real this time

6 Likes

What are your friday plans folks?

Here it’s already dark and I had a busy, productive day. Yummi Thai food for dinner, started a new book which I already like after 50 pages. Brushed the big red furball, Missi is napping on my legs, the old boy occupied the office chair when I came home so I called it a day :blush:

@Cjp For me the week was flying. Anyway, it’s friday and WE LIKE SOBER FRIDAY :sunflower::sun_with_face:
@Mno Your post about Dutch was great. I forgot all we learned about it in school. Thank you for refreshing :+1:

6 Likes

What the heck? That is really interesting. Especially from my point of view.

3 Likes