From day 1 to day 2,557....7 years of sobriety

I joined this community in March of 2017. I was 56 years old and had been drinking since I was 15…that is 41 years…add in a lot of other drugs and harmful behaviors in those 41 years as well…I was at my end.

Why was this sober attempt the one that stuck? So many tries, so many stumbles, trying to find my way for years to a different life …a life that felt good and clear and honest.

All I know is that a week into my final quit I downloaded SoberTime/ Talking Sober and read and read and read. The forum was 2 years old then and I think I was able to read every thread on it.

I had been working on my sober muscles…reading quit lit and sobriety books, was a member of WFS and Soberistas, dabbled in other forums…but this one really clicked for me. The community forum was easy to follow and come to when I needed inspiration, support, advice or needed to kill time instead of drinking. And somehow those impossible numbers others had…30 days, 60, 90, 120, 365!!! they rolled around. No one more astonished than me as the days added up and I didn’t drink. And here I am 7 years later. Still here, still sober. I truly believe the community support aspect of TS contributed greatly to my continuing sobriety. :people_hugging:

My life has changed in so many ways…some enriching, some depleting. Life is life and it doesn’t stop being a challenge when we get sober. But I am not adding bad decisions to my resume of life anymore. Lord knows I have a full one already. When it all feels too much, I remember…

Let go, or be dragged. :sparkles:

And breathe in, breathe out. :sparkles:

I have learned so much about myself through sobriety/recovery, TS and all of you. I am grateful each day for TS and especially to Robin for bringing us all together…for those who are still here and those who came and left…everyone has left an imprint…all of it a learning experience. I hold no answers for others, only for myself. Find your path and embrace it.:rose:

Never ever give up on your self. Each day is a new beginning :sparkles: an opportunity to begin a new chapter, even in an old worn out book. It isn’t easy, it is painful and it is worth it. YOU are worth it.

Along the way…

My program…

73 Likes

That is such a beautiful share, Sassy. You are one of the most helpful and caring people on here and it’s a privilege to know you. Congratulations on your 7 years, it’s a truly amazing achievement. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Sassy, this is pure gold! You were one of the first to respond to my plea for help when I joined TS in July. I am so grateful I found this place, and the wonderful supportive people like you! Can’t thank you enough! Huge congratulations to you​:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::gift_heart::gift_heart:

5 Likes

Well done i joined in 2016 Rem when you joined youve done well helping new people . well done again proud of you

7 Likes

Congrats on 7 years sober! I didn’t realize we were so close in our sober time. It’s been a great journey and thanks for sharing it on TS with me! You offer so much to the forum. Glad you are here!

7 Likes

Congratulations on your 7 years Sassy.
You’ve been a beacon of light for me and I’m sure an infinite number of us through many storms.
IMG_3538
I’m so happy you shined your light on me.
:pray:t2::heart:
:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

13 Likes

Congrats on 7 years. Your shares are so meaningful and written so well, there is always something I can take from it so thank you :heart:

6 Likes

Congrats from Toronto

Your part of my sober sucess, I’ve enjoyed your being around on my journey.

Thank you for what you bring here on TS, it really is a great community.

Be well

6 Likes

7 Years ago, you went out and sang! Congrats Sassy. Thanks for all you did and do.

8 Likes

I wrote you a poem to celebrate your journey, its successes, and the myriad help provided others by your words and actions.

You’re rad
Really rad
Rad, rad, rad
Super rad, and also cool
Cool, cool, cool
In the words of Mr T
I pity the fool.

Sincere congratulations @SassyRocks
In saving yourself you have saved many.

Respect

17 Likes

Congratulations Sassy… you are such a big inspiration to me and im sure many others.

THANK YOU for who you are and all you do.

:heart::people_hugging:

5 Likes

7 amazing years of working on your sobriety and helping so many others along the way. Thank you for sharing your journey and support. You have been inspiring for me and to the community :people_hugging:
A huge congrats Sassy!! :clap:t4::clap:t4: Keep leading the way :muscle:t4:
200w

7 Likes

Congratulations on 7 years of sobriety Sassy. Nothing short of amazing. And thanks for always having kind and inspiring words to especially newcomers. Also thanks for taking the time to be a great Mod. :laughing::green_heart:

5 Likes

Wow :astonished: 7 whole years of Recovery! Thats incredible!!! Huge congratulations to u and what a beautiful post u shared. Thank YOU for being here and for always being so welcoming and kind while sharing your experience, strength, and hope :heart:

5 Likes

My sober hero! Congratulations!!

7 Likes

Congratulations on seven whole years of sobriety Sassy.
Thanks for you for sharing your journey on here.
You are a super sober hero and such an inspiration to all of us.
Keep on doing the good work :muscle::pray:

4 Likes

Congratulations Sassy! :tada: :partying_face:
I’m so grateful for you, your compassion and your friendship. :heart:

5 Likes

Congratulations Sassy! :partying_face:
You have inspired me so many times since I joined last year… thank you, thank you, thank you :blush:
:squid:

4 Likes

Congratulations on such a mammoth effort @SassyRocks! In my 39 days of sobriety, your posts have been empathetic, caring and inspirational. Looking at the outpouring of love on this post, I’m obviously not alone finding value in you. So grateful you are here!:muscle::pray::heart:

5 Likes

You are Such an inspiration and constant reminder that long term sobriety is possible if you stay true to the course. I can’t thank you enough for paving the way. Huge congratulations on SEVEN years Sassy!

4 Likes