Sober AF for 3 years!

Well, I wasn’t going to go big for my 3 year anniversary sober, but the times they are a changin’ and hey, I am pretty effn proud of my self!!

Seriously, I never thought I would get to 30 days, let alone 3 years. I had been sucking down booze, snorting whatever, taking any and all pills I could find for 40+ years…ever since that PBR way back when and all that acid, microdot, ludes and shrooms back in the 70s. Damn, I even dropped that shit in my eyeball. Smart!!

The party started when I was in my early teens and just kept going. Unmarried teen Mom, high school drop out, welfare Mom, college student Mom, building my career, buying a house, relationships, marriage, abused wife, surviving my abusive husband, burying my abusive husband and on and on and on…success, failures, a great career, mothering, grandmothering, daughtering, marrying again, and on and on…life…all spent drinking, doing drugs. All of it. Years of being a very high functioning drinker…just a party girl who aged out. Living life thru the haze that kept getting thicker.

If you think being in your 30s and having an issue with drinking takes a toll on you…man…I pray you get it together now. Cuz being almost 60 and still doing that …sigh. I don’t do regrets much…but I wish, I wish, I had seen the light earlier and found my self earlier. A cautionary tale.

I lost myself when I was in my teens and stayed lost for 40 years. Lived my life under the veil…numbing my emotions, my spirit, hurting my physical being.

I was abysmally depressed, anxiety ridden, a shell of a person, downing the booze like water. Existing in a small tiny world that revolved around alcohol, hangovers and pain. I tried for years…years and years …to figure out how I could drink and just feel okay. Moderation. Bargaining. Denial. I was deep into the cycle of drink, hate myself, stop, drink, hate myself, stop. Suicidal thoughts were my constant companion.

I was so fucking sick of myself.

And then…another drunken fight with my husband, on his birthday, a day like any other, so I stopped again.

I looked for an app to keep track of days. I downloaded TS a week later. I stopped drinking. It sucked, bad. But…it felt different.

And here I am, 1095 days later, 3 years, miraculously sober.

When I was 56 I found my true self. I battled for this beautiful powerful woman. I am so very proud of myself, so proud. I could’ve continued to exist but somehow…I now thrive. Life is not perfect, my anxiety is still with me (now more than ever). I know I can easily transfer my compulsion to something else. I know my self. I work my recovery every day. I love my life. I love my self.

40+ years is a lifetime. With 10 of those truly despising myself but soldiering on.

I have no great answer for you other than never give up…always get back at it…no matter how long you slide, you can always always come back. When the veil lifts and you truly are able to see and heal your self…magic happens.

Never give up my friends. Never.

For those who have traveled with me, I thank you. My first guides … I see you and thank you. @Robin, thank you for TS, you saved my life, literally. Blessings and love to all of you here at TS. Together, we can move mountains.

73 Likes

This is amazing, @SassyRocks. What a moving tribute to your journey and your sober self. Congratulations! You inspire me to maintain my commitment, being in early days yet.

4 Likes

Congratulations!! 3 incredible years. You’re story is very similar to mine, and as I am 55yrs and only 145 days sober, you are a huge inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing and for being you. :pray::kissing_heart:

7 Likes

Congratulations! That’s awesome. You are ab inspiration for many of us.
Hugs

1 Like

This is such a positive inspiring story, thank you for your presence here.

1 Like

Congratulations! 3 years is amazing. I have 3 days. Onward and upward! :tada:

2 Likes

You inspire me sassy, thank you for ALL you do.

2 Likes

We ALL start with 1 day, 2 days, 3 days…they can and will add up. I used to look at people with 30 days, 90 days and wonder how the hell they did that.

Day by day. Keep going. :purple_heart:

7 Likes

@SassyRocks thank you for that. I needed it. I guess I need to follow you for a while.

1 Like

Hell yeah good stuff, I’m proud of you keep it going.

1 Like

@SassyRocks I love that you answered me and ended with a purple heart. Purple is my favorite color. A good omen.

1 Like

A good sign for sure!!! :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

Congratulations!!! I am beyond proud of you!!! This is absolutely amazing!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Reading this made me cry. To know all the pain you have endured, how hard you have fought…and to see the absolutely glowing, beautiful woman you are now…you are living evidence that miracles happen, my friend.

Your posts guided me from day one. Your friendship is such a treasured gift. Know how many people’s lives you have impacted here, mine among them.

Here are all the hugs and flowers and fireworks I can virtually send! So much love to you, @SassyRocks!

8 Likes

THANK YOU Sassy for everything you do for all of us. I know it isn’t easy and we often take all you do for us for granted.

Most importantly, thank you for showing us (while kicking our asses at times) that we can change the world one person at a time with just two words “be kind.” All the things that flow from that honesty, integrity, authenticity, love and compassion, patience, among many others — you live by and show others every day.

Much love, :goat:

6 Likes

You know that means the world to me @MoCatt. I treasure our visits. And you know I love flowers peaking thru in spring!! You are inspiring to me and you have helped me more than you know.

Sending love and gentle hugs from afar. :heart:

3 Likes

Awww @DowntroddenGoat, you know I love me some Be Here, Now… as can be evidenced by one of the many piles on our coffee table.

Thank you for your kind words and kindness. It means so very much. Oh, and thank you for the Dead songs!!

2 Likes

Wow! I’ve read multiple great milestones today! :confetti_ball:
Glad I catched yours too!! :facepunch:
Congratulations!! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

1 Like

3 years!! Amazing! You are a great mod here. Your stories are inspirational. You give sound advice (for those that are willing to listen) and your wisdom is second to none. We are really lucky to have you here! Definitely treat yourself to something nice. You deserve it! Thank you for all the time you give us and watching us grow in our journeys. Just as your handle says you REALLY do ROCK! Have an awesome day.

1 Like

Congratulations!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
Your story and your ever present words of wisdom have been so helpful to me these past 2 + years. Thank you for lighting the way ahead in my sober journey…and for all that you do for everyone here. I hope you get to celebrate today amid all of the uncertainty and chaos. Much love to you @SassyRocks! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes