Getting sober and wanting to drink again

I’ve been sober for 2 days. This is the 6th time I’ve tried to get sober in the last year. I’m already struggling with just wanting to drink because my life is a mess due to my alcohol use. It’s a never ending cycle. I just want to feel happy without the influence of alcohol. I just want to make it all go away. But I can’t. I still have alcohol in my home and I’m really debating on going home from work and drinking. I don’t want to but I’m drowning in the thoughts to use.

6 Likes

You always have a choice. Alcohol doesn’t even fully leave your system until a couple of weeks in.

Your life will continue on exactly as it is, if you continue to drink. I know this because I have been on this journey for decades and nothing has changed; not my life, my alcohol use, or my desire to make it all go away. It doesn’t go away. It’s there. You’re just ignoring it. Ignoring a problem can never solve the problem.

And still, it’s your choice. Choose you. Choose better. Choose to change your life.

8 Likes

Also, in my best and longest periods of sobriety, I had to work my ass off. Lots of meetings, reading books, doing worksheets, journaling, meditating.

When I let those things slide, I was back to Day One - like clockwork. So, I am back to doing all those things.

8 Likes

You have to remain strong and you have to truly want it as a goal. You will encounter numerous temptations and your “moments” are how you choose to respond in those situations. I wish you luck, but like I said you have to fully commit to wanting to stay sober.

6 Likes

Hope you’re doing better now.:unicorn:

Get rid of the alcohol you have in your house.
Make yourself a plan how to stay sober. What do you need and what has to go?
What is helping you when you have cravings?
I wrote all that stuff down on a piece of paper.
Every time I tried something that worked for me I put it on my list. So the list of things that worked for me growed.
I tried almost every tip I read here on the forum. Some worked, some don’t.

So put in all you have! Be here much to read and involve.
You can do it :facepunch:

8 Likes

That’s great you have this wish. I don’t think I had the concept of feeling anything w/o alc until a bit longer in sobriety but when it hits you that you can, that’s the first big step I think.
The truth is: you gotta work for it. It will definitely happen, but not in two days and not by just not drinking. That’s just not enough to turn your life around, create happiness or even keep you sober long term.

Here are things other ppl did to help them gain traction and stay quit: Resources for our recovery

Here is what they learned in the process about what it takes: Your #1 tip for sobriety (over 2 years sober)

Best of luck! You can do this. But you gotta put as much effort into it than you did into your drinking, as they say.

1 Like

Maybe dump the booze in your house and try a meeting might help you wish you well

6 Likes

Hope your in a better place. You can break that cycle and you deserve happiness without alcohol. It is there and its much more immense than being drunk. I go to in to intensive cbt therapy as well as alcohol support to groups to work through reason why I drink and underlying self esteem issues/trauma. Grab all the support you can get and take small steps at a time x

1 Like

You’re flirting with it by having alcohol in your household. The alcohol is controlling you.

2 Likes