Giving it another go

I think I’ve hit my rock bottom. I was hesitant to admit I had a drinking problem because… well… I have a career and I get up and go to work sober, I’m a mom and do all the mom things for my kids and well I don’t drink and drive… so how could I be an alcoholic… right?
Last night my husband had to call the ambulance because after just 6 beers my head got pressure so bad I couldn’t even open my eyes. I could feel my heart beating out of my ears.
When I got to the ER the shot me with something so strong my body felt like fire instantly.
I slept for 8 hours. I’m home now. I feel great.
I’m 44 and my youngest is 5 and I wanna live to see him and my 12 year old succeed in life.
I need help.

15 Likes

Welcome back. You’re right, you do need help.

We all did and do need help; we don’t do it alone.

Have you joined a group? There’s Women for Sobriety, there’s AA.

There’s no shame; take pride in it. Take pride in attending something that helps you be sober and present, for yourself and your family.

There’s some options here:

Resources for our recovery

6 Likes

Welcome, and thanks for sharing!!! We’re so glad you’re here. You’re definitely in the right place!! Check out all the threads on here, fill yourself with hope and passion, and be sure to check in with us here tomorrow on everyday to let us know how you’re doing and how we can help!!

1 Like

Welcome back to the party.

I hate the term “functional alcoholic” but 99% of alcoholics are able to manage, albeit poorly, their day to day lives, thus making them “functional alcoholics”, but really, “functional” is just an adverb that is used to make us feel better about ourselves, we’re alcoholics, and that’s OK. That’s why we’re here, to learn to manage our disorder.

As long as you have an open mind and willing heart, you’ll do fine. Let’s get at it!

5 Likes

I don’t. My job offers free confidential counseling for 6 sessions and aftercare. I’m calling them Monday. I wanted to initially get sober for my husband but now I MUST do it for me.

4 Likes

thank you for the link. I’m gonna check it out now.

2 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate it :pray:

functional alcoholic… yes. . Thats what I am.
Or what I was… God willing ill be a recovering alcoholic from this day forward

5 Likes

So glad your here with us! You can do this…it can be difficult at times…or at least feel that way. Start by building up your toolbox so you have everything you can to battle your triggers. I slipped once for not being prepared.

This community is :100: going to be a saving grace. I have met amazing and inspiring people who will raise you up! Be patient with yourself and never give up! Your worth all the fight you got!

Welcome and Blessings to you!

:blush::raised_hands:t2::ocean::sun_with_face:

3 Likes

I know the feeling all to well and your story is almost identical to mine. This is my first day for the second time. It is so hard. I am here just like you to get support and try to kick it for good! Good luck on this journey ahead.

2 Likes

I have had A LOT of stress at my job and in my house. Couple weeks ago at the doctor she informed me that for the first time in my life I was having high blood pressure issues. Beer has always been a de-stresser but last night the alcohol and stress beat me down. Swelling to my brain and behind my eyes… pre-stroke symptoms.

Well hello again rock bottom is good. I love rock bottom it got me here. I to was a functioning alcoholic thought just like you. I to used my insurance from work and actually went to rehab twice. I am very highly looked at through my job and looked at with great respect. Embarrassing yes but know I’m a better person, dad, employee and I’m alive. What’s embarrassing is what we leave for our family if we die in our disease. Or I cant count the times I embarrassed myself and family members well being drunk. If you haven’t done it yet it’s only a matter of time. God Bless you.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. I think we use the excuse that if we are a functioning alcoholic, it’s not so bad. Like saying, even though my food isn’t hot and fresh, but it’s still warm, so that’s good enough. Sometimes alcoholism sneaks up on us. We think that just because we are still able to complete our daily responsibilities and drink at the end of the day, that we are not alcoholics. My father would only drink on the weekends, but he it would be excessive. Eventually he realized that even though he only drank on the weekends, he was an alcoholic. The frequency or timing of when we drink is not the only factor when considering an addiction. I’m glad that you made it through the ER experience and made it home. I have recently found out that this is a wicked good place for help.

5 Likes

Hey there…when I think back on it, my rock bottom was the luckiest day of my life. It’s the day I had a really simple choice to make: oblivion/death sobriety/life. Life on a regular day can be confusing with all its gray area and the tiny choices that have seven options, no clear cut effect and no urgent need. Rock bottom makes your life and choice REAL simple. It sounds like you are looking to choose life :yellow_heart:

It might be helpful to write down everything you’re feeling so that as you begin your recovery program and get some sober time under your belt you can easily remember this feeling. Glad you’re here💛

2 Likes