Good bye letter and help with accountability

Twenty characters jbdfhvcbhgvg

46 Likes

Bro, hell yes. This is what itā€™s all about. :muscle: :fire: Behind you 100% and it helped me to read. So much truth and seeing through the BS here.

You probably know already, but hereā€™s an awesome thread for nic quit support: Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products).

7 Likes

Great job! Thank you for sharing. My mom is a smoker and especially a stress smoker. She will quit but anytime anything super stressful happens that is her excuse to run to the store. We started smoking together bc I am a social smoker. Even for someone like me who doesnā€™t have the chemical affinity to nicotine like other people do, it was a bit difficult to say goodbye and almost impossible to not have one if they are lying around. I just recently got her to quit again bc I really care about her health and she is 59. You think itā€™s not doing you damage bc you canā€™t see the immediate effects but itā€™s bad. I recall sitting there multiple times. Almost everyday I would have one and mentally think ā€œI know this bad and full of toxic chemicals but oh well, this one is the last, I donā€™t even freaking like thisā€ yet I would pick them up because itā€™s feels nice for a second but then you feel dirty afterwards. You can do it! Do it for your family and definitely do it for your kids. They need you around for a long time and Iā€™m sure you need them just as much. Think about all those chemicals and how everyday without cigs your lungs and body are actively repairing itself. Even after only a month of not smoking you should feel imporovment. Good luck!

7 Likes

Yes! Good move, my friend.

You scared me for a second, when I started reading I thought you were leaving! Thank goodness youā€™re saying goodbye to cigarettes instead of us! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Good job man. I quit to after 12 years of smoking, wasnā€™t easy but I did it take it one day at a time.

4 Likes

Hell yeah man you can do this. I have 14 years without cigarettes and almost 10 without chew. My father died of lung cancer at 53 because of those murderous little death sticks. I book marked this to come back to and check on you. Good luck, you got this!

3 Likes

I have written this before so apologies if itā€™s repetition but something that really helped me quit and stay quit is the fact that smoking doesnā€™t stop the craving, it causes the next craving (from Allen Carr). That was a total lightbulb moment for me in helping change how I thought about smoking and quitting.

Another thing is the health stats, you know after one day, week, month etc your risk of whatever disease reduces by however much. Really thinking that every time I smoke I am setting that clock back to zero and getting through the cravings was just a waste.

You can do it! :muscle:

9 Likes

I checked out there Alan Carr easy quit drinking and it shifted my perception of alcohol which has been huge in my attempt at recovery this time. I would recommend checking out the easy quit audio book.

1 Like

Iā€™m guilty of the same. Unfortunately, I got myself believing that vaping is not as harmful as cigarettes. I eventually gave up vaping 2 years ago, then went back to it when I gave up drugs and alcohol 8 months ago. I definitely have to give this up and planning to do it when isolation of covid ends.

I bookmarked your thread and I look forward to reading your nightly post. If I donā€™t see one, Iā€™ll give you a little nudge for an update. Me reminding you will give me inspiration to quit.

2 Likes

Quitting smoking over 4.5 years, both tobacco and pot, is the best decision I made in my life ever. No joke and no exaggeration. It lead to me quitting drinking too, amongst a load of other good stuff. Youā€™re giving yourself a strong start and a good chance of succeeding Kevin. You obviously invested time in gaining knowledge about nicotine and addiction to it and how to break that addiction. You obviously have gained the right mindset which is black and white. All or nothing. The third component of a successful quit IMO and experience is having a good support group. I hope you are finding that here. Iā€™ll try to give you some support. Success!

3 Likes

Great letter. You got this bro. I donā€™t have experience with quitting smokes (I got very lucky when trying out smoking when I was younger. It did literally nothing for me, so I dropped cigarettes before developing a habit because I found smoking to be a ā€˜boringā€™ drug), but Iā€™ve heard it can be tough to kick. I believe you can do this though. Youā€™re going to do great.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s to your second smoke free day friend! Have a good Monday!

1 Like

I really enjoyed reading your letter so thank you! I am a smoker and can really relate to what your letter said, Iā€™m going to give quitting a go soon so I will be writing my own letter now that Iā€™ve seen yours, thanks and best of luck!

2 Likes

Ah thank you :blush: really appreciate it! Itā€™s so nice being able to come to this forum and meet like minded people! Hope your having a good day!

1 Like

Hopefully the no smoking is going well today!

2 Likes

You won today Kevin! Itā€™s a battle right now. You know itā€™ll improve.ODAAT. Youā€™re doing it!

2 Likes

another day in the bag? I hope itā€™s getting better for you.

1 Like

Keep pumping iron bro. When the oxygen comes back you will get a huge rush of adrenaline and you need an outlet. Also constant support helped me. Sometimes like every five minutes support. The sleep loss is brutal. The urges and cravings will pass quickly so ride them out and do whatever it takes to stay distracted until they pass. By week 3 it will start to get better and you can start rewarding yourself with the money you saved. Itā€™s an insanely expensive addiction. I have saved over $8k so far.

Try allen carr easy way on youtube. Also read some stories in www.whyquit.com

2 Likes

Happy to see your progress Kevin! You went to bed a winner and youā€™ll be waking up a winner today. Just keep going one day at a time and youā€™ll never be stopped.

1 Like

How you holding up?

2 Likes