Got married. Got Drunk

I’ve tried to quit drinking for so long. Yet every single day I find a reason to have a drink. This past weekend I got married, and it was wonderful. A small wedding, close friends. After getting home, I got hammered last night. For literally no reason. I may even still be drunk, I’m not sure. Not a great way to start day 3 of marriage. So now I’m more committed than ever. I’ve reset my sobriety counter and can’t wait to watch my milestones appear.

I find motivation through superheroes, as lame as that sounds. For example, Oliver Queen (Green Arrow) was stranded on an island for 5 years and became an absolute specimen. On an unoccupied island, you would only have access to fresh fruits, vegetables, meat, and absolutely no tobacco or alcohol. That’s how I intend to spend my next 6 months (except not on an island lol) and see what I am truly capable of without alcohol specifically. I’m excited for this step and I’ve never been more devoted or motivated. Let’s all see what we’re truly capable of.

9 Likes

Hey :wave: welcome! 1- congratulations on getting married! 2- congratulations being here starting again, as you said already newly married and target set you’ve got this!! :grinning: :muscle:

Thank you! I have so many resets on this app but I can’t let that get me down. I know the best thing I can do is apologize to my wife, forgive myself, and look forward and that’s what I intend to do. A big motivation for me is the shape I used to be in (hence my superhero motivation). I was a personal trainer in my prime and I want to get back to that physical and mental fitness.

2 Likes

That’s fab news see you have some healthy goals there, you can be that super hero :grinning: go get it! I have faith in you!

1 Like

Welcome Kevin :wave: :innocent:

Lots of valuable info and wise people here to learn about recovery. It’s a journey and it is one step at a time - and lots of learning, lots of stretching into new ways of thinking and living. One day at a time :innocent:

These are some of my fave threads:

Resources for our recovery

Checking in daily to maintain focus #41

Keep in touch and check in here; remember: you have permission to do anything that’s safe and legal, to stay sober. Take up woodworking, cancel plans if you don’t feel safe with them, change foods, treat yourself to fancy coffee, etc etc.

Introduce some new fun things, to get some enjoyment in your life. We need fun. Games, hobbies, etc, something you’re doing for nothing other than the enjoyment of the activity.

Stick with it and you’ll see results :muscle:

Nice one. Get motivated to chase down the new life you have started with your wife.

Always wise to remember that every alcoholic or addict can be sober on an island. Being sober back in the real world is so much more than simply not drinking.
Find a program that works for you, and keep looking if they don’t resonate - there are many, many paths to sobriety, and i think most here will agree that some form of program/guidance is invaluable in making it stick long term.

Crack on!
:+1:

1 Like

This is a good life lesson in general :+1:

I remember when I was younger someone said, it’s easy to get along / be good / be the person you want to be, if you live alone on a mountain. (We were talking about growth & whether the world was the cause of problems, or if it was something else - like maybe an essential space for learning and growth.)

It’s easy when things are easy. But it matters, when things are hard.

Don’t get intimidated by this, @K_reed1. Instead, use this to motivate you. You have to reach out for help, find a program (like on of these Online meeting resources or www.AA.org or from the list here Resources for our recovery) and work it. Don’t say you’ll do it by yourself. It never works like that. Instead, push yourself out of your comfort zone, and go where you can do the work to get fit and be the man you want to be.

One step at a time :muscle:

I got drunk and got married :dizzy_face::rofl:

3 Likes