Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products) (Part 1)

3 Likes

Good job @I.cant.We.can :ok_hand:

1 Like

I got up to just less than two years no smoking when I caved in August with a number of resets between then and October. I am back to nearly 2 months smoke free. The cravings still come but they go again. I remind myself that I am no longer physically addicted. The craving is temporary, it will soon pass. Three deep breaths!

I think building more walking or general exercise in is a good motivation/ incentive to be smoke free. It is much harder to do with lungs full of tar etc. However, I think it’s important to add the caveat that I am feeling fairly solid in my sobriety from other substances.

What is going on to cause the feelings of craving do you think?

3 Likes

I can only assume it’s from the uncertainty and impending big changes in my life at the moment, I’m facing the prospect of homelessness and I have 2 cats that are my whole world, they are what keeps me alive. That and I’ve been using substances to cope since I was 12 years old, so never learned to deal with my sober self, I have a lot of mental health issues too so that also doesn’t help. I feel better sober. I hate addiction. I’ve bought 3 packs of chewing gum and I’m hoping that will help me get through the weekend without smoking. I’m finding I can get through the night and the early morning by telling my cravings no, but by 9:30am they have won the last 2 days. I won’t stop trying though :pray:t2:

4 Likes

Oh Tyler, that’s such a lot. I hope you are in touch with the relevant charities and council services teams for support with housing, although I know what support is there is not always the right thing at the right time.

Are you involved with any recovery networks, AA, Recovery Dharma, SMART?

Not just for the smoking or addiction, more for the community and support that comes with it.

1 Like

I’m trying to get help from the council but it is proving to be very difficult. They are saying I have too much equity despite having -£15,250 than what I would need to clear my debts, I’ve emailed them a breakdown today and asked them to reconsider my application :pray:t2:

I tried NA for a few months but faced a lot of ‘youre not sober if you take medication’ , so had to leave. I’ve recently bought the Recovery Dharma book and plan to start reading it, I saw the thread about it and it sounds like it would suit me better, because I already have a 3x a day meditation practice. I don’t tend to do well in groups, so would be apprehensive about finding an online meeting, but should probably look into it to be honest.

Thanks for the support.

3 Likes

I have been struggling with wanting a cigarette two times everyday lately. When I wake up and after dinner. I have be able to get through it mainly through breathing and distraction techniques. Working on day 18 no nicotine. I believe I’m right around 95 days since I smoked a cigarette. Used the nicotine lozenges alot until 17 days ago. Day 329 no drugs and day 475 without alcohol. I breathe again now, recite the serenity prayer and get back to learning to live. :v:&:heart:

3 Likes

It can be done but nicotine is a very tricky bastard. For me my sober journey started with quitting smoking both tobacco and weed. The beginning was tough and it took me over three years to feel truly free from cravings and thinking about it. Now at 5+ years smoke free I feel truly free from this addiction.
I’ll be cautious the rest of my life though. One drag a way from 2 packs a day I am and will be for the rest of my life. I just find the thought of smoking disgusting these days. You can all get there. It’s one day at a time, or one hour at a time, or one minute, one crave… Because the nicotine level in our blood goes down so quick the cravings come fast and furious when detoxing from the stuff. Still it can be done. I did and nothing special here. Hang in there. Success all!

8 Likes

And Luna looking sternly at you like that is good motivation!

Seriously though, amazing, thanks so much for your support and encouragement it has really helped me on my smoke free journey :hugs:

2 Likes

Day 157. I get the occasional craving but they soon pass. Good luck everyone keep it up!

5 Likes

4 Likes

What’s going on up in here?

giphy(1)

4 Likes

I should be subscribed to this thread soon enough

2 Likes

Even after over 12 years tobacco free, I too know I am one drag away from 1ppd +. The crazy thing is at times, especially after a really good meal, I want a cigarette so bad it drives me absolutely insane.

8 Likes

Silence of the lambs :no_mouth::sheep::sheep:

1 Like

Me too pal :roll_eyes:

You’re my hero @Wunderbar :muscle:

Yes, very innocent. :grin:

1 Like

See, THAT’S what I’m talkin about! :+1:

I figured I would let the app do some calculating for me. At $5 per pack, the approximate price when I quit, I am shocked at how much money I haven’t spent on cigarettes. On average I smoked one pack per day, and with smokes about $10 a pack now, it’s hard to really estimate how much I’ve really saved. Seeing this gives me even more incentive to not start again.

8 Likes