Has anyone heard of Kratom?

I have a friend that is sober and she said this product helped her stay off of alcohol and opiates…I’ve never heard of it and have no idea what it is? Here is a picture of the packaging. Does anyone know what it is and is it safe?

She purchases from a website:

Kratom = diet heroin

3 Likes

Whoa!!! Thank you! I’ll pass…

4 Likes

You and me both my friend.

5 Likes

It’s great I absolutely love it. It pretty much kills my cravings to drink completely.

1 Like

My alcohol cravings got so bad I couldn’t think about anything else until I got a drink. I’m talking sunup to sundown drinking constantly. I’m not giving kratom the credit for me not drinking right now, it definitely helps though.

1 Like

I used heroin to quit drinking once!

5 Likes

Ask anyone who knows me, would you rather have me sloshy drunk and worthless or totally level headed and productive while using kratom as an herbal supplement; everyone would take the ladder.

1 Like

Do you. Atta boy. Congratulations on your sobriety… Nevermind the tool, haters gon hate

2 Likes

I’ve been in rehab with people detoxing off kratom. It’s addictive and hits the same receptors in the brain as opiates… It’s a drug

3 Likes

As I mentioned in my private message, calling someone a dumbass is not acceptable here. Please give the guidelines a review.

FAQ/Guidelines

3 Likes

There are many threads on it, as @Fargesia_murielae said. It’s out of my lane, but from what others have shared it’s another way to change how we feel.

Largely unregulated, street Kratom has been found that’s dirty. Used regularly it’s been linked to rare cases of acute liver problems.

Honest in my addiction, that’s all enough for me to say “no thanks.” Your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

Sorry for calling you a dumbass. We can agree to disagree on this one. I literally do like one kratom shake in the morning and don’t even want any more after that. It has really helped me not drink which is my biggest issue and at this point I would do just about anything to never touch alcohol again.

1 Like

Kratom is a tropical tree (Mitragyna speciosa) native to Southeast Asia, with leaves that contain compounds that can have psychotropic (mind-altering) effects.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read on this thread, I’m going to stay away! Thank you guys for the feedback. I’m sure it works really well for some but I don’t think it’s for me.

4 Likes

I bought a small container in capsule form about a year and a half ago. I’ve used maybe half of it. It’s the green strain of maeng da (kratom). There’s also a white and a red strain. Do your research to see which one interests you. I’ll admit it had a very calming effect on me, especially the first time I ever used it. I’ve only taken maybe seven servings of it during this time. I see nothing wrong with trying it. I just never really think of continuing to use it. Didn’t want to trade one bad habit for another I suppose.

2 Likes

I’ve watched many of my friends relapse because they were using kratom. I’ve. Never tried it and was always afraid of it because I watched my friends repeatedly struggle once doing this stuff. I thought using cannabis was a safer solution for me. I was hooked on opioids and alcohol originally. Then began only using cannabis and benzos as prescribed, lost the respect of my sponsor for using cannabis then the cannabis and benzo use got dependent rather than medicinal. So I have different clean times now for 3 different categories of my addiction. Long story short supplementing one drug for another is never a good idea.

11 Likes

This is one of the keystones of recovery IMHO. Learning that as people with addiction issues, we will often trade one addiction for another because we aren’t doing the work of uncovering the WHYs of our addictions. What is it we are escaping from? Mostly…uncomfortable feelings or being present or learning how to be a healthy human.

Until we go beneath the surface of our need to blot out the world, we will continue in the addiction cycle.

Doing our inner work, not just stopping our DOC, has the potential to heal us. :heart:

15 Likes

It’s an opiate. Go look up " quitting kratom" on reddit if you want to see real people dealing with heavy withdrawals from kratom.

3 Likes

Hate to say it, but you’re just replacing one drug with another. That’s why it’s working so well

8 Likes