Have you lost a job or jobs? Substance related?

Thank you for all of your advice and support it helped alot, I tried to thank you last night but I wasn’t allowed anymore replies .

1 Like

I just passed my 3 month probation. But I see what you are saying.

Thanks. helpful story I can also relate to!! Now day 2 sober the guilt of the lie I told (while I was hungover and panicked) . It is weighing on me all day. I said that my husband walked out on me and he took my phone and my car … I can’t believe who I can be as the drunk devil. Day 2 sober now I am thinking. Shit if I go back I have to live out this lie about my cheating husband walking out on me and smashing my phone and taking my car. I’m in too deep at this point. But I wont drink to mask it tonight I didn’t go to a meeting but I was at the gym for 2 hours . Crap what a story I came up with. So sick of booze

1 Like

No problem! I’m cheering for you & here for you :hugs:

1 Like

Yep, last year i lost a PT bartending job that I made good money at and fit perfectly into my schedule. But I was drinking soooooooooooooo much because of it. They didn’t exactly fire me, but after months of calling out last minute they finally just stopped scheduling me-thank God. I got sober after that.

1 Like

I can totally related. My alarm went off and I was still drunk from the night before that I just didn’t show up to work, and ignored the phone calls. I made up a horrible lie that I had to keep up, which made me feel so guilty and like a horrible person. I continued to get drink and didn’t show up again, and still wasn’t fired. I have since left that position. I have a great job in healthcare and no one has any idea of my problem, other than my mom, as I broke down and told her while so hungover. I was doing great and then over the weekend drank a bottle of wine before meeting my sister and then drank 3 more that night. I spent yesterday with my head in the toilet. Life is ten time better sober yet I keep failing

1 Like

Yup.
My first job out of college, I worked for an online retailer. One you’ve probably heard of, but its not the one that rhymes with “Schmamazon”.
Lots of other folks in their early/mid 20s there, and a lot of drinking/drinking culture. This is back when I was more or less a daily drinker, and working there didnt help at all. Somehow I lasted a year and a half there. Along with my addiction making things rough, i hated the job.

December 1, 2011: I get fired (poor performance, constantly calling out “sick”). Best thing to ever happen to me. 6 months of unemployment to focus on getting my mind right and my life in order (was fortunate enough to still be living at home at the time, no major bills to pay and an absolute saint of a Mother). This was a major turning point in life for me, I remember the date for a reason. I’ve been improving ever since.

1 Like

Then stop failing. Say no to the drink that matters…the first drink. The battle isn’t won or lost in the bottle. It’s won or lost with that first sip. You know where that path leads. It leads to you being hung over, wracked with regret and disappointment. So why even start down that path?

5 Likes

I have been there so many times! I have lost so many jobs due to being hungover. I am so sick of it! You sound like me!! That phone rings and it’s just easier to.hide under the blankets and not answer. I drank last night to not feel any stress and I am waking up.now at 2 p.m . This is it . No more. We can stay strong and stop this insane circle. Thanks friend, your story is who I am also💓

1 Like

Thank you for that story, improving is where I am heading now!! 11 hours sober again. Whoa. I’m an idiot lol. But I determined this time

After I posted this I read on through this app.and picked up words of knowledge. “Think it through, before the drink close your eyes and see the full outcome " “say no to that drink that matters, the first one” after this post and reading things from you and others here i didn’t drink. I survived a few days by closing my eyes and hearing all of your words here! (And others) thank u.
I didn’t make it last night because I was alone and still waiting to see if I lost my job. So my old evil friend was available to ease my mind😑. 2 wine bottles down and waking up jst now sick as fuck.
Woke up like a Moran and googled"how do you get rid of. Wine hangover?” What a dumb ass lol. Like I already to know that.
I koted for wine since when I do beer I can down about 18 one after the other.
I figured if I had wine I could sip it slow and.ease my stress . 2 big bottles later. So sick today , but I am using this feeling to remember why I cN sip anything ever again.
I KEPT MY.JOB. freaking holy cow … I cant believe it.
As a sober person I am a hard worker , I am the person who everyone goes to for sound advice, I smile ear to ear all day. I am the person that everyone wants me to cook for parties. I am.my daughters rock.
As a drunk I am lazy, sick ,tired and undependable. THIS IS IT! I managed to talk my way back to keep my job. I think they are taking me out of room service and putting me in the steak house for awhile(I am sure it is because I left the workers all stuck when I no called no show!! But I will take it, I’m still in with the company, I just had passed probation! I think I need more help than AA I think I need to see a shrink to make sense of why i drink.
Thanks again all your words and the words of everyone here sticks in my head.

2 Likes

I usually would still go into work hungover about mid day id come back to normal. I never ever normally called out. I learned showing hung over looked better then no show at all. I did loose two jobs over pot. I worked for serv pro and smoked a joint with the homeowner. So did my helpper. Apparently the helper told a rat and we both were toast. The other i failed drug test at orientation for thc. The hr thought it was a light joke to say we wernt in colorado.and if your operating equipment. ahh suck my nutz…most high tech equipment ill start on is a shovel before i work up that far. Ohh well i dont let that shyt get me down. I know my worth

2 Likes