πŸ¦‹ Health Journey... Potential TW

@Scorpn and @JazzyS
I love you ladies!!! Thank you for your support and kind words. I honestly feel the same proudness (is that a word? Lol) for both of you! :people_hugging:

3 Likes

So I wanted to start using this thread again to journal/log my revelations or anything relevant to the DBT book I’m reading for my eating disorder. I started reading it yesterday and am almost through chapter 1. I still have to do the exercises and homework but so far I am learning alot and enjoying this process

3 Likes

Finished Chapter 1 exercises and homework today. It has been a real eye opener for me. I learned about the DBT Emotional Regulation Model and the biosocial theory. I was able to understand why this urge to avoid/escape emotions came about. Thru an invalidating environment growing up, i was left with overwhelming emotions and was not taught healthy ways to cope. This resulted in coping in unhealthy ways thru drugs and food etc. The DBT model also helped me to realize what some of my binge eating triggers are so that i can be more prepared to face those moments without entering a binge. Its helped me to learn what emotions im feeling (this is still a work in progress bcuz sometimes i cant label them yet). Its helped me to slow down and play the tape to the end, making me remember how ill feel if i go thru with binge eating. Moving forward i am supposed to just be more aware of why im wanting to eat (the triggering event), and labeling the emotions behind it so that i become more aware of whats happening around me and within me.

5 Likes

This is so lovely Dana - Chapter 1 and you have already gotten some great tools to move forward with.

So great to see how helpful the book is for you!

1 Like

Working on Chapter 3
I am beginning to feel slightly overwhelmed by it all. I think i need to slow down a bit so i can really process what im learning. Theres sooo much information and i didnt realize truly how much of the DBT program i had forgotten. So it almost feels like i am learning it fresh. At this point in my program i have to renew my commitment to stop binge eating everyday or however many times I need, practice Diaphragmatic Breathing twice a day, write in my diary card right before bed, and get into the habit of accessing Wise Mind on a daily basis. Oddly enough, as much work as changing my thinking is, I havent binged in 5 days as of today. My eating has been really good! I still have urges to binge but have not acted out so this program seems to be helping!

1 Like

GIRL - you are rocking it! already on chapter 3 - i’m sure it’s a lot of work going on but super proud of you and all that you’ve accomplished – 5 days is huge!

How many chapters in the program? Are you able to focus on your first three chapter for this week and start with new chapters next week or do you have a schedule to keep for the program? Sorry - not familiar with it so maybe not the best questions or advice. This is just to help with the overwhelming feeling - you are doing fantastic!

So happy for you love :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for response and ur support :heartpulse: There are 13 chapters i believe and they do say to do 1 chapter every week. So i am wayyy ahead of the game lol im actually going to take ur advice and wait a bit to start chapter 4. I will just try to take everything ive learned and put it into practice. I also have to print out some blank forms on Friday for the Diary card as im supposed to be filling these out daily. But i wont be starting chapter 4 until this monday i think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is perfect and you have three chapters worth in 1 week to apply so i can see where you would feel overwhelmed.
Smart to start a fresh week with a new chapter. So very happy that what you are learning with the program you are applying in real life and seeing the benefits!

2 Likes

Coming up to 12 full days of no binge eating/emotional eating/mindless eating. I cant believe im actually doing this! Literally like 10 min ago i worked thru the urge to binge eat/emotionally eat. I used the DBT program instead and filled out the Behavioural chain analysis form, which oddly enough in itself slowed me down and distracted my brain from my current frustration. The forms i have been using everyday are:

Its alot of work but Id rather do the work than experience those feelings of shame, disappointment, disgust, and powerlessness.

2 Likes

So proud of you @Butterflymoonwoman

I can sense some relief and pride in your posts lately. Keep putting in the work!

2 Likes

Thank u so much! Im definitly in shock that i havent binged in almost 2 weeks. It used to be almost daily. Im just so grateful that im feeling a bit better mentally and physically. Ur definitely an inspiration to me tho. Ive always admired how hard u worked at ur health journey :slight_smile:

2 Likes