Healthy lifestyle

Hi! Today is the first day of my journey. I’ve spent the past 6-7 years drinking daily. Haven’t been to a doctor in a while but I know the alcohol abuse has to have taken a toll, although I feel fine and don’t think I see any signs of it affecting me. Anyway, I’m still really concerned for my health and I’m wondering if anyone has experience seeing health issues diminish or share how you’ve felt physically after quitting drinking. I think that will really help motivate me to continue. I’ve taken time off before but not much and I’m ready to get serious about my health and well-being. Thanks!

6 Likes

Hi, and welcome!

I was hungover every other day, so once I got sober the throbbing headaches, throwing up, hot sweats, mood swings went away. I’m sure that’s obvious though lol towards the end of my drinking my hands and arms started tingling and falling asleep in areas. I thought I had nerve damage or something. It really scared me. That went away once I stopped drinking.

Maybe you could make an appointment with your GP to get a physical and some blood work done. Just to give you peace of mind.

5 Likes

I’m definitely going to get a physical soon to make sure everything’s good. Thank you for your feedback! And I’m glad you’re doing well now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The affects of alcohol can be devastating, the disease progresses severely lost alot of friends and family due to complication steming from alcoholism. Have thrown up blood several
times and bloody stool but last time i went to treatment had blood tests, physical done, they turned out ok thank God. I just thought i always metabolized alcohol quickly or maybe by Gods grace i was one of the lucky! Less hassle now that ive been sober, dont have to worry about ending up in detox jail or the hospital.

3 Likes

Greatful to be alive and well, besides a few restless nights doing a bit of grieving. Sobriety allows me to be so much more honest with myself about how i really feel and process my emotions

1 Like

Yeah that’s super fortunate for you that nothing major was wrong! It’s great to hear when things turn out well. Especially mental health wise with you coping in a healthy way.
I’ve stopped before for days or weeks at a time but never long term. I had a restless night but otherwise I’m physically fine. My biggest obstacle is all mental, after 5pm I’m just craving a drink so I have to constantly drink water and tell myself it’s not ok anymore. And I do pretty well but it’s after a few days or weeks I allow myself the reward again for abstaining a little longer than normal. So fingers crossed I practice more self control.

1 Like

Mentally challenging to reward yourself some kind of treat works for me when id develope cravings chocolate helps at times get over the wanting to get a quick fix. Coca cola and coffee help when i need to have a drink in my hand.

1 Like

Just stick with it and you begin to develop healthier alternatives and learn how to deal with triggers change the bad habits of daily alcohol consumption. I like to have hot chamomile tea at night that helps me get better sleep.

I think I’ve got the healthier alternatives down. I eat beets and parsley in salads to start cleansing my liver and kidneys and drink lemon water everyday. And I drink la croix when I need the carbonation. At this point I need to get out more and make sure my day is filled with activity. I’m moving back to Arizona in a couple of weeks and that will really help because there’s so much to do and explore outdoors. Really looking forward to that!

3 Likes

Thats great to hear our health is priority the one thing we all need to take care of, be well and enjoy the sober life.:grinning::+1:hope to see you back here post updates on your progress

1 Like

Thank you, will do!

Hi Fal, that’s great news that you’re beginning the journey. I’ve drank non stop for 5 years. I’m 35 days sober.
Side effects from my alcohol abuse: back was very sore after a heavy night of drinking, I’m assuming that’s my kindneys screaming out for a break. Irritability, lack of concentration, lack of motivation, sleeping lots more than I should need need (I needed it for my body to recover) weight gain, my mental health was shockingly bad, avoiding people which comes in handy when there’s a lockdown, bad skin.
Now that I’m not drinking I’m sleeping 6-7 hours a night, no naps, I’m getting things done around the house, work doesn’t feel like such a hassle, my back pain has gone, I had a break out for the first 3 weeks after stopping but that’s just toxins escaping, all cleared up now, I’m finding it easier to concentrate on things & most importantly (the reason I stopped in the first place) my mental health has improved greatly.
I wish I had decided to live the sober life sooner but I know I wasn’t ready.
Hope this all helps & good luck. It’s still one day at a time for me & I think that’s the best I can do. I just hope I’m strong enough to continue this way. There positives are so well worth it.

6 Likes

Only on day 2 but my social anxiety has already improved and I feel more energized. I’m so happy for you for making it over a month! Very inspirational :slight_smile: and yes! I have side pains randomly that I’m assuming are my kidneys and I just can’t wait for all these random aches to go away with time and stress less about my health. I’m so not one to post or interact online but I’m really glad I posted and got all this feedback, it’s so helpful and keeping me motivated and excited to keep going.

I’m happy to hear your social anxiety has improved, the first week was the hardest for me, I checked in here almost every hour, reading & interacting. It really helped.
In the past 2½ years I tried sporadically to get sober, downloaded the ST app & read other people’s stories but never made an account. I made it 3 weeks max on my own. This time I made an account. There is so much love & support here. No matter how you’re feeling the next few days, weeks, months please come on here & keep in touch. It’s a great community.

2 Likes

So so much! :pray::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::heart::tada:

1 Like

I plan to! Even just to try and be there for others on the app too. It’s amazing how supportive everyone is

1 Like