Help - I’mAbout to do something I’ll regret

I want to say thank you to you all. I am
NOT going to drink but I would have, no doubt about it. You have all made me strong, the wine is put on the shelf. I’m not touching it. I was so close… I don’t want drink. It was ruining my life, my family, everything I value, my reasons for living were devalued. I planned everything around alcohol, it was breaking me. I have tried since the first Monday in January. I never expected to get this far. I had been feeling nothing short of euphoria, sleeping well, eating well. My humour is so improved - I have been just the happy old me. I am grateful to you all for taking the time out of your lives to help a stranger. Please know - you have helped someone in need today. Thank you all, Joanna xxx.

17 Likes

Eat food. Order out and shovel it in til you’re full. Then it’ll pass. I’m at 90 days and just starting to get the hang of it. Please give it more time.

2 Likes

Is there a reason to keep the wine, or is this a backdoor, an easy way to relapse if “needed”?

1 Like

Thanks for thinking of that - I have had red wine sitting there all the time, bottles, I am normally a white drinker. I have 2 bottles of gin sitting there which I have been known to demolish without challenge. I haven’t touched it nor been tempted by it until tonight, if I decide to drink, I won’t be stopped. I decide not to drink today. Thanks crazy Dutchie

1 Like

Congratulations! 90 days is amazing. Isn’t it so hard sometimes

2 Likes

Have a butcher’s at the link below. Cravings can come out of nowhere but pass, as you know. Tell your other half to put the wine out of reach when he gets in. Well done on your sobriety so far.

Resources for our recovery

1 Like

In life our minds seek comfort. It seeks the predictable. Even though you really do know the reasons you stopped, your mind is blovking them out, because it is seeking comfort. Even though your mind knows that drinking will lead to misery, its comfortable there. It knows what to expect. Your mind isnt comfortable yet in soberity. You have to get comfortable being uncomfortable. You cannot be courageous without first being venerable. So go do something youve never done. Do yoga. Go to a meeting. Meditate. Read a book. Go for a run. Do planks until your abs burn. Anything positive youve never done. Something totally uncomfortable. Begin to let your mind get comfortable there. Thats how you train your mind to find comfort and coping in something uncomfortable. Dont take the first drink and you’ve got this. If you have Netflix Brene Brown has a great talk about venerability I watched the other day. Now go get comfortable being uncomfortable, you’ll thank yourself tomorrow when you wake up another day sober. You’ll be grateful for venerability. It made you stronger.

3 Likes

Did the same thing and regretted it!

Whatever you think is worth doing it @Trying16 please we’re here to tell you…it’s not even remotely worth it!

You can do this!

Today you don’t drink…

1 Like

I’m glad you didn’t drink. I had 55 days and had a craving to drink and I did. I regretted it. I should have come on here. But I didn’t feel like I had made enough friends on here yet, so I drank. I was so so so sick, the worst hangover I ever had in a long long time. I threw up all day. Ice packs on my head. And I didn’t even drink that much. That was after staying away from alcohol for 55 days. I can only imagine how horrible you’ll feel after three months sober.
Also, I’m glad you’ve been able to not drink while you have alcohol in the house, but in my experience, that’s just tempting fate. I’d drink anything I had in my house right now, doesn’t matter if I didn’t like it or not.

3 Likes

Why does your husband brings wine when you ask him so. Is he aware of your situation? Why is it there in early sobriety or at all? If someone is coming to my house I either buy something on the day and he has to take it on leaving or there will just be none.

It would unnecessary complicate everything for me.

5 Likes

You are right, I didn’t do it & im grateful for you all. It’s 9.30pm in my time zone & the urge has passed. I will wake up tomorrow with another (shit) day down x

7 Likes

Your morning self will be so grateful! :smiley:

2 Likes

Go out and get a GREAT BIG ice cream sundae or milkshake. :slight_smile: Enjoy it slowly and methodically. Then take a hot bath with lots of bubbles while you read on here some past postings. Then watch a wonderful movie that you’ve been putting off!
You can do this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow. I said help before I said hi. Hi, by the way. Really nice to be introduced to you. Thanks for your help

2 Likes

So glad you fought the urge.

1 Like

Do it. Fuck it… What’s 90 days? Just throw it away, you can always start again tomorrow right?

Unless you cant

1 Like

Drinking is never as good as your mind is telling you it’s going to be, deep down you know that. Really, it’s just going to bring you disappointment and, maybe, a little despair. Rather than giving in to that incessant and damaging voice in your head, dig deeper for that courage and determination you have within, the courage and determination that brought you here in the first place. You’ve gotta be honest with yourself, play the tape all the way through and decide that you, now, no longer drink. You are a non-drinker. Therefore you won’t drink, because you don’t drink. It’s a mindset and a strength and determination to fully change your life for the better.

4 Likes

I hope you are okay. Think about all of the positive things that have resulted from not drinking. It becomes like a habit. Even though our bodies may no longer need it, it can feel like we are autopilot or that we have developed a habit thats hard to break. Like driving home and not remembering some of the actual turns you may have made. My first day sober, I was driving home from work and realized I was in the liquor store parking lot due to the habit.

I hope you make it through this hard time and I send you my best wishes. Good luck.

4 Likes

Sober shit days still go in the win column.

3 Likes

This disease wants you to drink but obviously you don’t or you wouldn’t be on here asking for help. What will that drink do for you? Maybe for a while it will make you feel better but what about tomorrow? If you have been dry for 3 months you will be hung over bad in the morning not to mention the mental anxiety, guilt and remorse. Its completely up to you but almost 40 people have given you almost 40 reasons not to pick that drink up. Do you need another one? You said it yourself. You will regret it. Stay strong

6 Likes